BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-20-2022, 06:58 AM   #1
pkeller99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Billy Boat Exhaust Review + Video

Hey everyone,

I've been running this Billy Boat exhaust for the last few months now and figured I would share my experience, as I don't feel that there are too many videos or information about it on the internet.

My impressions: First, I started by running the Billy Boat rear section with the stock X-pipe. The cold start was definitely louder, but not unbearable by any stretch of the means. Initially, I was surprised at the relatively small change in volume (inside the car), but I did appreciate that I know felt like I could hear what the engine was doing instead of relying on looking at the RPMs on the tach. A very OEM + type of exhaust in my opinion.

In the search for some more volume, I decided to add an Active Autowerke X-pipe with High flow cats in the primary position, as well as dual resonators after the X. I know this isn't scientific, but I feel the X-pipe added more volume than the rear section. The rear section changed the tone primarily (with a little volume), and the x pipe changed the volume primarily (with a little tone). There is some drone between 1500-2000, as well as 3000-3500 RPM, but it is not terrible. Completely livable for a weekend car, DD could get slightly annoying but all depends on your drone tolerance.

At the end of the day, a video is the best way to show how an exhaust sounds so I have put together a video with a variety of revs, accelerations, downshifts, etc. Enjoy!

Link:
Chapool29.00
Davey2767.50
      05-22-2022, 05:30 AM   #2
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

good read, clip bring back memories
My first cat back exhaust back in 2011
Appreciate 1