BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #1
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Fun creaky M3 video!

Ok I hate these "what's that noise?" threads because there are a billion weird noises from our cars, but WHAT'S THAT NOISE? I wasn't sure if I should post in engine or suspension sub-topics because I don't know which is the issue so here I am. 2012 E92 M3 ZCP DCT with 38k miles, all stock except a stage 1 and DCT tune.

I've been hearing this creaky clicky ticking sound for a month or more and it really comes and goes, more pronouced when driving slow after driving hard. Recently more noticeable when reversing although not sure that means anything. Only present when in motion. Thought it was suspension (coil bind?) but it's independent of that as seen in video on flat smooth garage floor and turning wheel doesn't really affect it. Engine has increased NVH in cabin when this is occurring as well but that is independent of motion. I even had one moment where it felt like something was very briefly grabbing on slow off the line and then snapped free.

Overall the car drives great, pulls hard, no performance issues, but just does not sound right at times. I took it into my BMW SA and they couldn't replicate it but looked over all suspension and reported it's fine.

So seems like this is more a drivetrain issue (motor mounts? I dunno) but I'm stumped with my very limited knowledge. I'm going to send this video to my SA as well.

Thanks for any help!

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Blinker fluid low, will do that.
Appreciate 2
Norms67.00
      08-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Blinker fluid low, will do that.
well thank god I have this coupon!

Appreciate 1
Norms67.00
      08-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Oh nice!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #5
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
M3 drivers don't need blinker fluid. Oh wait...
      08-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Ok I hate these "what's that noise?" threads because there are a billion weird noises from our cars, but WHAT'S THAT NOISE? I wasn't sure if I should post in engine or suspension sub-topics because I don't know which is the issue so here I am. 2012 E92 M3 ZCP DCT with 38k miles, all stock except a stage 1 and DCT tune.

I've been hearing this creaky clicky ticking sound for a month or more and it really comes and goes, more pronouced when driving slow after driving hard. Recently more noticeable when reversing although not sure that means anything. Only present when in motion. Thought it was suspension (coil bind?) but it's independent of that as seen in video on flat smooth garage floor and turning wheel doesn't really affect it. Engine has increased NVH in cabin when this is occurring as well but that is independent of motion. I even had one moment where it felt like something was very briefly grabbing on slow off the line and then snapped free.

Overall the car drives great, pulls hard, no performance issues, but just does not sound right at times. I took it into my BMW SA and they couldn't replicate it but looked over all suspension and reported it's fine.

So seems like this is more a drivetrain issue (motor mounts? I dunno) but I'm stumped with my very limited knowledge. I'm going to send this video to my SA as well.

Thanks for any help!

Check behind the brake rotors for rocks, etc, hard to tell from the video if its the same sound but mine was making weird noises like that at slow speeds and it was crap behind the brake rotors and the dust shields, pushed them back away from the rotor a bit and it was completely gone
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235boy View Post
Quote:

Thanks for any help!

Check behind the brake rotors for rocks, etc, hard to tell from the video if its the same sound but mine was making weird noises like that at slow speeds and it was crap behind the brake rotors and the dust shields, pushed them back away from the rotor a bit and it was completely gone
It doesn't sound like that IMO
      08-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep

But I have NVH in cabin and there are clunks and pops at times and I don't have cowbell. Also, this morning I noticed sound more noticeable with accelerating and decelerating, like rocking of motor makes a difference. I think it's the motor mounts.
Appreciate 1
Theodore668.50
      08-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
But I have NVH in cabin and there are clunks and pops at times and I don't have cowbell. Also, this morning I noticed sound more noticeable with accelerating and decelerating, like rocking of motor makes a difference. I think it's the motor mounts.
Time to replace rod bearings and while you're in there change motor mounts
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I suspect a leaky or faulty lifter. This is so fucking common that it frustrates me. I've gone to 4 dealers and PAID for service work (diagnose obvious noise) only for them to come up with nothing. I feel like if not a hydraulic lifter, valve stem seal and/or oil pressure issue in general (lacking of). Anyone who tells you rodbearings should walk into a wall with their arms at their sides.
      08-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
It does remind me of a valvetrain rattle. Hope it’s not though!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #12
Transfer
Major General
Rep

It's weird it really comes and goes. Got a shop appointment next Tuesday to exercise that Carmax warranty!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
m235boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I suspect a leaky or faulty lifter. This is so fucking common that it frustrates me. I've gone to 4 dealers and PAID for service work (diagnose obvious noise) only for them to come up with nothing. I feel like if not a hydraulic lifter, valve stem seal and/or oil pressure issue in general (lacking of). Anyone who tells you rodbearings should walk into a wall with their arms at their sides.
I didn't mean the noise was rob bearings, it was a joke
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m235boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I didn't mean the noise was rob bearings, it was a joke
No worries! The paranoia has to stop and only factual information needs to be spread or every post becomes.....RB
      09-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Well turned out to be a 10 mm socket that someone dropped in the engine bay at some point and it wedged between engine and lower engine plate or something like that. Seriously.

During inspection they found my DCT was leaking quite significantly so $2000 fix on warranty ($150 deductible) and that's mopped up. I only paid $2300 for the Carmax warranty so yeehaw.

Eastside Bavarian did a great job fixing these issues but Carmax inspection for warranty approval took three days to sort out. I'm back on the road and car drives great again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0