BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
TeamBFT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Greetings from Nashville area – “new” E92 owner, just sharing experiences

Ive owned many, many cars – nothing terribly extreme - a Porsche 944 Turbo, Ferrari Mondial, several Vettes, 370Z’s, Infinitis, Stangs, etc. – spent extended periods of time with GTRs - but have always wanted a M3. I’ve also been employed by two major auto OEMs for the past 25 years at their corporate levels. Have seen, driven, studied too many to note and have dealt with the press and auto writers and product planners, legal staff and engineers for many years.

My current OEM acknowledges and respects us gear heads at work but unfortunately mandates we park our “competitive” machines on the roof versus in the parking garage – oh well.

I’ve studied the heck out of the M for the past year ……….. gotten scared, excited, intrigued, anxious, etc. Overall, though, my expectations became quite inflated to a very high level and, subsequently, were exceeded. Looked at M5, M6’s along the way. Even considered C6’s, 911’s, etc. Sooooooo happy with my decision.

I began shopping, hard, hunting for the gem via every automotive-for-sale source imaginable. Found my baby several hundred miles south in southern Louisiana off a nice Brit who was heading back to the UK after a six year employment stint in the states. He had three days left to move the car or “give” it to the local dealer at an absurdly low kick-in-the-face amount. He would have taken it back to the UK had it been RHD. I booked a flight and swooped in, saved the day, and was able to secure ownership of this machine for a very, very reasonable amount without completely kicking him in the face – more of a glancing blow.

He kept decent care of it, was pretty much the only occupant during his five mile one way commutes to the office and kept it maintained.
She’s a 6MT, Space Grey, Red Fox with 45,000 miles. Cosmetics are phenomenal – outside and in. Recent bank 1 actuator was completed – no other majors noted. Clean CarFax. Zero signs he abused it, never tracked it and seemed very professional.

I have several observations and have learned a TON from this forum (what a saving grace)!!

I’m pretty handy with a wrench – not nearly as adept as some of you guys – but have been wrenching my own cars and motorcycles for years. I hate dealing with dealers and contributing to their marginal profit and trust my work more than theirs (did I say I am employed with an OEM?)
Needless to say, this car exceeded my inflated expectations. Its handling, confidence-inspiring vehicle dynamics, the way it shifts, its balanced weight, ability to customize, how she accelerates (oh that TQ curve), the technology……hell, the OEM high end audio is amazing and outperforms much on the road today!

The 6MT is great in this car – soft clutch pedal compared to some past cars Ive had, plenty of power and very sure-shifts. Looked at some DCTs, drove some……just didn’t have that attached performance feel that a clutch pedal provides. Plus my son wont drive a stick………..heh heh heh……..keeps him out of my car.

• Have read the rod bearing issues ad-nauseum - not nearly as scared as I was during my initial research but still aware and cautious. Am staying apprised of the court case. Ive experienced this a ton being with OEMs and am not surprised one bit by BMWs stance – oh, don’t get me wrong – theyre ridiculous and short sighted, but I know why they’re not handling it.
• Aware of actuators, expensive AC evap cores, etc.
• Just did an oil and filter change – super easy on this car – filter on the top - woo hoo!!
o I measured how much exited the drains so I knew roughly how much to put back in and slowly leveled it off correctly; Sent off a sample to Blackstone for testing; also confirmed oil level with Carly.
o Read a ton on oil types – in the end I decided to switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 – maybe Redline 5W next, will monitor usage but I won’t be putting a ton of miles on the car.
• Recently replaced all four tires with Michelin Pilot Sports 19” https://www.thoughtco.com/review-mic...-sport-3234351 – have experience with them on other cars – a no brainer. Got them thru Costco for $1,106 out the door – did go with the AS3+ since we get a little bit of weather down here and wanted a bit more grip in rainy conditions. The AS gives up close to nothing in the summer as it relates to performance. The car likely won’t be my daily driver, maybe several times a week though.
• Replaced the air filter with a Macht Snell performance filter and replaced all in-cabin filters with Mann’s.
• Had my local exhaust buds do the muffler delete and install some new quad tips – sounds outstanding, albeit a little loud. But have read that after a few weeks it will tone down some – will see. Did the delete versus the internal mod since the muffler could always be reinstalled. Has a good growl at accell, no drone that really concerns me……although a noticeable loudness around 1,800-2,200 RPMs that, again, will see if it dies down some. Was approached by a C7 owner the other day, made me roll down my window to tell me how incredibly awesome the car sounded.
• Diff fluid was done at 20K but PO
• Have eight NGKs ready to go and will tackle that this weekend – looking forward to it
• For Bluetooth – used the Tunai Firefly recommended by many here and its been great
• Updated the Nav system with discs from “that guy” on eBay. $15
• Installed a CF rear spoiler to give it a little more pop – wished I had stretched the 3M tape a bit more – didn’t want to use that glue since I may someday go with a different spoiler. It sits okay but not quite as perfectly flush as I’d like. The old spoiler’s 10 year adhesive was a royal pain in the arse to get off. Heat, chemical, wax, finger nails, repeat, then alcohol. Ugg. Should have bought that plastic body scraper.
• Bought the Carly and scanned her – one fault code related to the “defective” seat belt handover – which Ive fixed (still need to do the passenger side). Cleared that code. Did a little coding, ran the used car app and set up the digital garage. Ran some parameters. Cool tool for sure.
• I also fixed the driver’s cup holder issue – again, thanks to the forum!!
• Next is Radiator flush, Power Steering flush, Brake flush
• I have the Leatherique kit ready to go for the interior – likely tackle that Sunday so I can let the treatment sit for a couple days
• And I plan to Simple Green the engine bay

• Also learned I’m eligible to receive USAA benefits (extended warranty – they call it EVP) since my dad is retired military. Got a quote for $2,300 for a 2 year/24 month plan, no deductible, transferrable, very exhaustive coverage and can add it anytime I want – although this first quote is good until early September. For an additional year and 12k miles, its $3600. Can also pay that over 12 months, with no interest. Plan to definitely take advantage of this. Its through Assurant and I’ve read very good things about them – can take it to ANY certified mechanic – ie. my local well respected Indy shop vs. the local BMW dealer. USAA was actually less than the “dealer cost” for similar contracts through some dealers I know. The M’s aint cheap to warranty
• Will get an Alex Alpine tune sometime over the next couple weeks.
I don’t plan to ever track it. It will live a fairly cherished life. But I do get bored fast and adjust to the speed rather quickly so may later find I “need” to spend some more coin to keep it fast

Likely a set of wheels eventually. For now just enjoying the hell out of it.

Attached a pic prior to new shoes and the CF spoiler.

Cheers!! Love this forum – couldn’t survive without it!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
zstreet86116.00
ToddinTN504.00
BOOF-M34448.50
pcohen15379.50
E9T.two138.50
osukf0964.00
elvism284.50
NoHedge67.50
      08-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

Congrats, ironic as i picked mine up 2 months ago and just did everything you did maintenance wise even AS3's but will switch to the Mobil 0w-40 in about a month.

The Leatherique wasnt effective as i hoped it would be as the factory leather has a coating which prevented complete absorbtion. Ill probably stick with Zaino or Sonax for the leather.

Enjoy these are addicting cars..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

And welcome to you OP! (call you BFT?)

What a long but yet nice introduction. Always interesting to read opinions about our old platform from folks with extensive experience from other cars, and to hear it continue to comes out well. Been driving my M3 only for soon 5 years so can't say I'm able to compare any longer...

Anyways, welcome aboard, enjoy your motor in health!

Last edited by Helmsman; 08-18-2018 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
ToddinTN
Both Feet In
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG DINAN E93 M3

Garage List
Welcome!

Nashville area here as well, live in Nolensville and work in Brentwood. 2011 Space Gray Dinan E93..

Local BMWCCA group is pretty active, in fact we have a drive tomorrow morning.

Look forward to seeing another SG M3 around..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #5
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Edge of my seat through the whole post. Make sure you caravan with ToddinTN and meet up with us at the Tail.

2nd Annual Tail of the Dragon run 2018 https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493889
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2018, 02:53 AM   #6
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Beautiful find! And you're spot-on ... this forum is a treasure. good call on the warranty. mine has already covered half its total cost after only five months. As my SA said to me, "Now go drive the hell out of it." Have fun.
      08-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
TeamBFT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post
Congrats, ironic as i picked mine up 2 months ago and just did everything you did maintenance wise even AS3's but will switch to the Mobil 0w-40 in about a month.

The Leatherique wasnt effective as i hoped it would be as the factory leather has a coating which prevented complete absorbtion. Ill probably stick with Zaino or Sonax for the leather.

Enjoy these are addicting cars..
Thanks. I will look at those other products. There was a post on here from a long time member who was ecstatic with the leatherique - said to leave it on for a couple days then clean off.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
TeamBFT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddinTN View Post
Welcome!

Nashville area here as well, live in Nolensville and work in Brentwood. 2011 Space Gray Dinan E93..

Local BMWCCA group is pretty active, in fact we have a drive tomorrow morning.

Look forward to seeing another SG M3 around..
Cool. I will look into that local club. We're in Brookfield sub which basically borders Nolensville
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #9
TeamBFT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Edge of my seat through the whole post. Make sure you caravan with ToddinTN and meet up with us at the Tail.

2nd Annual Tail of the Dragon run 2018 https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493889
Appreciate 0