BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

09-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
N8bmw
bizarreridetotheM3side
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone e90 M3

Hotchkis Sway bars via Bimmerworld

Who here is using the Hotchkis sway bars from Bimmerworld? http://www.bimmerworld.com/Hotchkis-...3-Car-Set.html

Using front bar only or using the set? Thoughts?

I purchased this set and was hoping to get some feedback but there is very little on here about them or referencing running them. Upon visual inspection the bars look to be high quality with a clean grey finish. I have not compared to the stock bars yet, but they feel fairly light as I expected being hollow. Front is 4 position adjustable, rear has three.

I will be installing the front bar today and the rear bar over the winter when I do subframe and diff bushings at the same time. I opted to purchase/use the front Turner adjustable sway bar links even though I am only slightly lowered on eibach springs. My OEM links were making noise and seemed logical to buy adjustable for perfect fitment or as close to it as possible.

I have a track day scheduled for 9/30, this Saturday so I will get a good idea of the changes a front only bar makes.
Appreciate 1
Dr._Who124.50
      09-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
///MPower15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I installed front Hotchkis with adjustable endlinks, oem rears. I've only driven on the streets so far and I love the feel of the car. Feels a lot tighter and flat in the corners. I do not plan on doing rears because of the difficulty of install.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
N8bmw
bizarreridetotheM3side
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower15 View Post
I installed front Hotchkis with adjustable endlinks, oem rears. I've only driven on the streets so far and I love the feel of the car. Feels a lot tighter and flat in the corners. I do not plan on doing rears because of the difficulty of install.
Thanks for the input!

The install was reasonable and did not take long. Even with the extra step of adjusting the end links. I started on the softest setting and will most likely stay there until the rear bar has been installed, possibly even after.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

I can't speak to this application specifically, but we have used Hotchkis products on project/personal cars, and we have always been happy with the parts, packaging, shipping etc.

Have fun down at the Ridge!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I have the full package from BW although I haven't gotten around to installing them

This winter when I do the solid subframe bushings...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
N8bmw
bizarreridetotheM3side
United_States
Rep

Wow! More people buying/using these bars than I thought. Love hearing the positive reviews!

Sounds like just about everyone holds off until doing subframe bushings before installing rear bar, logical. Can't wait to see how the combination of the bars improves things.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
I purchased the set of these bars from Bimmerworld but currently only running the front sway, set at position 2. I'm going to install the rear when I do my subframe bushings etc like what most people are doing.

I've done 3 trackdays with the front bar installed and so far I love it! My turn in definitely improved and the car overall feels more planted and is predictable. No understeer or negative effects that I can report at the moment.

I paired my front bar with the BimmerWorld 12-13.5” swaybar end links...highly recommend those as well. Quality pieces!

IMG_4121 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4127 by dj_dub, on Flickr

4TR_4831 by dj_dub, on Flickr
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights

Last edited by dj_dub; 09-27-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 5
      10-02-2017, 02:13 AM   #8
M_GODZILLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
I purchased the set of these bars from Bimmerworld but currently only running the front sway, set at position 2. I'm going to install the rear when I do my subframe bushings etc like what most people are doing.

I've done 3 trackdays with the front bar installed and so far I love it! My turn in definitely improved and the car overall feels more planted and is predictable. No understeer or negative effects that I can report at the moment.

I paired my front bar with the BimmerWorld 12-13.5” swaybar end links...highly recommend those as well. Quality pieces!

I am debating between Dinan or Hotchicks..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Any updated feedback on the Hotchkis bar, esp the front? It seems equal to Dinan in weight and stiffness, but nearly half the price ...

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/fro...k=&yr=&md=&sm=

Last edited by wyatth; 07-12-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I just installed the front hotchkis bar and set it on full soft. I've only driven it in the street but my first impression is that it might be a bit too stiff with my coilovers. I'll reserve further judgement until I get to out on track though.

I wish that the softest setting was closer to stock leaving an option for wet track conditions as I don't ever see myself going to anything other than the softest setting.

If the rear install weren't so involved I'd put it on sooner to see if it balances things out a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:48 AM   #11
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

What coilovers do you?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #12
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
What coilovers do you?
I'm running the psi ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #13
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Too stiff with those psi ohlins aw front springs of 550 roughly and relatively stiffly valves HMRC front strut will in my view be more. I actually have seen f as b a softer bar front and rear with psi setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSY View Post
Too stiff with those psi ohlins aw front springs of 550 roughly and relatively stiffly valves HMRC front strut will in my view be more. I actually have seen f as b a softer bar front and rear with psi setup.
I don't quite follow this comment. Care to elaborate?
Have you driven a car with coilovers and just the front hotchkis bar? I'll share my findings in a couple weeks after Laguna.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #15
MSY
Private First Class
Rep

I've tested a few setups yes and done pretty extensive calculations from a theoretical suspension setup point of view as n this was my conclusion but it really depends on ones exact setup and largely on style of driving or preferences for how the car is setup. With any really stiffly sprung car, excessive sway bar rates are really not needed.but again to each their own based on personal preference for a card feeking.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #16
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSY View Post
I've tested a few setups yes and done pretty extensive calculations from a theoretical suspension setup point of view as n this was my conclusion but it really depends on ones exact setup and largely on style of driving or preferences for how the car is setup. With any really stiffly sprung car, excessive sway bar rates are really not needed.but again to each their own based on personal preference for a card feeking.
Thanks!
My calcs have also show that the front bar would be a bit too much, but after trying a few different spring combinations, the front bar seems like the next logical thing to try for me. My ohlins don't need the high spring rates like the Moton and MCS setups I've driven, so I also thought that increasing the sway bars make sense.

Also the good folks at bimmerworld recommended thick bars for the e90 platform.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #17
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

I have no desire to swap the shocks/springs on this car, but wouldn't mind making things a little flatter, especially in comfort/normal mode. Am I out of my mind for wanting the Hotchkis/Dinan front bar with otherwise stock ZCP suspension?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
N8bmw
bizarreridetotheM3side
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
I have no desire to swap the shocks/springs on this car, but wouldn't mind making things a little flatter, especially in comfort/normal mode. Am I out of my mind for wanting the Hotchkis/Dinan front bar with otherwise stock ZCP suspension?
Definitely not out of your mind. I ran the front Hotchkis bar with eibachs and stock EDC. Made a huge difference in how flat the car stays during hard cornering. Currently running it with bilstein b16 coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #19
MSY
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Thanks!
My calcs have also show that the front bar would be a bit too much, but after trying a few different spring combinations, the front bar seems like the next logical thing to try for me. My ohlins don't need the high spring rates like the Moton and MCS setups I've driven, so I also thought that increasing the sway bars make sense.

Also the good folks at bimmerworld recommended thick bars for the e90 platform.

Stay tuned.
In the end it's down to driver preferences and also if your run slicks and are super low then that would be 2 reasons in addition to personal driving style, tire setup etc thst couod make a bar work
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #20
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Just a quick update on my experience. I ended up removing the front hotchkis bar as I felt it was too stiff for my setup. It was actually nice on the track but a bit too much for the bumpy California roads. I think this swaybar setup would be perfect for a car with a milder sprung coilover set like the ohlins R&T (or stock springs for that matter).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 04:55 AM   #21
gerikivan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe, E82 135i

i just bought mine and its backordered till december😞 but how would you guys set up the swaybars for square setup? im guessing its stiffer in the front and softest in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerikivan View Post
i just bought mine and its backordered till december😞 but how would you guys set up the swaybars for square setup? im guessing its stiffer in the front and softest in the rear?
I'll check the recommended setting from the instruction manual when I get home for you, but I think it recommends a middle setting up front and softest setting in the rear as a starting point.
Appreciate 0