BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

05-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
Saso
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Cool E93 rollover protection and HPDE restrictions

I’ve done plenty of HPDEs and recently purchased a 2009 E93 M3 (convertible) and was very surprised to see that many HPDE hosts won’t allow these cars on track. This is despite the manufacturer rollover protection system (i.e. pop-up roll bars) that BMW has installed on these vehicles.

Please don't tell me I'm not a serious track guy if I bought a convertible. I’ve run a 2008 Boxster S and a Corvette C7 convertible in an endless number of HPDE events and have never had anyone question these cars.

VIR and NCCAR are my home tracks. I know that different hosts and different tracks have different requirements based on their insurance, etc. so no need to repeat that info here.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Do other E93 owners track their cars and have had similar problems?
2. Has anyone seen a BMW/manufacturer safety claim on their rollover protection system? One HPDE host recently mentioned to me that they would only allow me on-track if I could obtain a statement from the manufacturer that stated it was safe for 100+ mph roll-overs.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saso View Post
1. Do other E93 owners track their cars and have had similar problems?
2. Has anyone seen a BMW/manufacturer safety claim on their rollover protection system? One HPDE host recently mentioned to me that they would only allow me on-track if I could obtain a statement from the manufacturer that stated it was safe for 100+ mph roll-overs.

Are you saying they won't let you run it even with the roof up? I understand the hesitation with the roof down, the broomstick test, etc.

Sounds like BS to me, too, seeing as how every track day always has tons of convertibles....like the fucking Miata, the meme-tier track car.
      05-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Saso
Registered
Rep

That's correct. They won't let me run it even with the roof up.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

lol I don't think manufacturers do 100 mph rollover tests on any car.

Aren't there supposed to be some inspector gadget bars that pop out behind the rear seats if a rollover is imminent?
      05-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

A vert doesn't provide the same protection as a coupe in a roll-over.

IME - most HPDE sponsors do not permit verts - or place stringent restrictions on them. This has been the case for a long, long time.

PCA is generally less restrictive.

Most instructors don't want to instruct in verts. For the sponsors that do permit verts (that I instruct with) - my account remarks section has a note that I don't instruct in verts.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Saso
Registered
Rep

I suppose it's a good thing that I no longer need an instructor for the home tracks where I'm familiar to the racing line. As I continue to explore this I'm finding that it's a 50/50 split so far. Some allow and some don't. I'll need to do my research upfront before I sign up on Motorsportreg.
Appreciate 0