BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-27-2022, 03:49 PM   #1
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

AGA Oil Drain Plug/Tool

Figured I'd post this here since we're likely changing our oil much more often than typical drivers...

I know it's just a matter of time until I strip out my oil drain plug with multiple changes a year, has anyone used these? Not sure I fully trust the oil valve on track but there is the secondary cover. Seems pretty neat.

https://agatools.com/products/clean-oil-drain-plugs
      09-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #2
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Figured I'd post this here since we're likely changing our oil much more often than typical drivers...

I know it's just a matter of time until I strip out my oil drain plug with multiple changes a year, has anyone used these? Not sure I fully trust the oil valve on track but there is the secondary cover. Seems pretty neat.

i want that jackrod stand, but idk man. thats one expensive oil change mod, since you'd need the clean oil drain system too?

which is like $1200 lol.

and that tool thingy.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #3
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have the oil drain valve from stahlbus. Highly recommend. both my drain plugs were stripped when I got the car, and I had to timesert them.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 06:20 PM   #4
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
Quote:

i want that jackrod stand, but idk man. thats one expensive oil change mod, since you'd need the clean oil drain system too?

which is like $1200 lol.

and that tool thingy.
Haha didn't look at pricing for the drain tool... Just the plug, that's pretty steep lol.
      09-27-2022, 06:21 PM   #5
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
I have the oil drain valve from stahlbus. Highly recommend. both my drain plugs were stripped when I got the car, and I had to timesert them.
This seems like a much more reasonable option, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
      09-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
The problem is, this sticks way down (about 20-30mm) on the oil pan. If you drive over anything that sticks up, you could rip it off the car and possibly destroy the oil pan.

The AGA tool seems to be much more compact, but at much more cost.

OEM plug is completely flush with the oil pan as BMW designed it that way.

Last edited by Z K; 09-27-2022 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:33 PM   #7
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post

which is like $1200 lol.

and that tool thingy.
I was poking around on their site. The $1200 pump is optional, not needed with their drain plug. What is needed is the $299 adapter that connects to their drain plug. Either way, it is a little steep for a drain plug when it'll cost almost $500 when all said and done.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:39 PM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i like it, but very expensive just to get started.
      09-27-2022, 09:16 PM   #9
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Quote:
The problem is, this sticks way down (about 20-30mm) on the oil pan. If you drive over anything that sticks up, you could rip it off the car and possibly destroy the oil pan.

Sounds like you think the drain pan is the lowest thing on our cars up to that point rearward.

If I tear the cap off the stalhbus valve I've already wrecked a lot of other shit in front of it.

Perhaps our ride heights differ.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 09:54 PM   #10
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Sounds like you think the drain pan is the lowest thing on our cars up to that point rearward.

If I tear the cap off the stalhbus valve I've already wrecked a lot of other shit in front of it.

i was just about to say this... even with blown engine mounts my oil pan wasn't anywhere near touching anything LOL. sure it was resting on the belly pan, but the drain bolt would still be out of harm's way.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 11:30 PM   #11
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I actually hit a berm at Buttonwillow and my drain plug was ground down to maybe ~3mm across half of the plug surface, my splitter and other mechanical parts were fine. Luckily I was able to get a wrench on to remove the plug.

It's an ECS drain plug, seems that they can take a beating but I think that's a one off situation, have no idea how nothing else was damaged and doubt it'll happen again.
      09-27-2022, 11:54 PM   #12
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have changed my oil so many times that I could no longer reset the CBS light. Apparently there is not enough memory on the ECU for such long use. I had to get the local dealer to code it out so it's only a dipstick now. It never lets me know anything other than level. In my 40+ oil changes I have never stripped my pan. In fact I have extra drain bolts in a jar as a result of buying service kits. A torque wrench set to 18ft lbs tells me not to go ape. I never put the bolts in a hot pan as well. A torque wrench is $25. How the fuck are yall stripping these? Is it the newton meters to foot pounds that is get'n ya or are we changing oil between track sessions?
      09-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #13
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I have changed my oil so many times that I could no longer reset the CBS light. Apparently there is not enough memory on the ECU for such long use. I had to get the local dealer to code it out so it's only a dipstick now. It never lets me know anything other than level. In my 40+ oil changes I have never stripped my pan. In fact I have extra drain bolts in a jar as a result of buying service kits. A torque wrench set to 18ft lbs tells me not to go ape. I never put the bolts in a hot pan as well. A torque wrench is $25. How the fuck are yall stripping these? Is it the newton meters to foot pounds that is get'n ya or are we changing oil between track sessions?
Is it 18 foot pounds or 18 ugga-duggas?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #14
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
I haven't stripped mine just want to waste money on unnecessary tools.
      09-28-2022, 09:47 PM   #15
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't stripped mine just want to waste money on unnecessary tools.
Hahaaa, that's all of our problem too.
      09-29-2022, 07:35 PM   #16
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
The Fumoto oil drain valve or the "EZ Oil Drain Valve" seem better in every way. Where's the benefit of this?
      10-13-2022, 05:28 PM   #17
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:

There's a lot of road debris and on track, as mentioned by spxxx, you hit berms and can put a wheel off which exposes the bottom to hitting the ground. I have destroyed my plastic undertray and scraped up the oil pan before on track - and this is on a stock height car. I'm pretty sure I'd have sheered off anything that sticks out more than 5-10mm from the oil pan.

Here's a video of my off track adventure.

Last edited by Z K; 10-13-2022 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 06:02 PM   #18
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

AGA Oil Drain Plug/Tool

All I'm seeing is miles of endless, low/no consequence runoff.

If we're presenting anecdotal evidence, I've got some. I went off at VIR, skidded across the grass and was promptly met with a tire wall. Chassis mounted splitter: busted off and went flying. Mporium under tray: wrecked.

The stalhbus drain plug cover was untouched though.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 06:06 PM   #19
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Btw: while the aluminum under tray was decently bent up it did an awesome job of protecting everything it was designed to protect. I replaced it but I definitely could have unbolted it, bent it back straight and ran it for my next off pavement adventure.

Btw, there's a free, slightly mporium undertray available for pickup in SC if someone wants it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 08:40 PM   #20
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Quote:

There's a lot of road debris and on track, as mentioned by spxxx, you hit berms and can put a wheel off which exposes the bottom to hitting the ground. I have destroyed my plastic undertray and scraped up the oil pan before on track - and this is on a stock height car. I'm pretty sure I'd have sheered off anything that sticks out more than 5-10mm from the oil pan.

Here's a video of my off track adventure.
Not a response to the drain plug or the skid plate, but an observation about T9 at Thunderhill East.

You aren't alone with what happened coming over the hill.

The video below is a sweet M4 that goes off in the same place you did, on the out lap no less.
He turns in later than I was shown, he ends up in the middle of the track at the top of the hill, so then he has to get the car turned back to the right.
Chassis is unloaded, steering angle to the right and the engine is coming onto the sweet spot.
Couple that with his decision to turn OFF the traction control for the first time prior to gridding.

His car (leased) made the trip home on a flatbed…

You handled the situation WAAAAY better than he did.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 02:23 PM   #21
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
Not a response to the drain plug or the skid plate, but an observation about T9 at Thunderhill East.

You aren't alone with what happened coming over the hill.

The video below is a sweet M4 that goes off in the same place you did, on the out lap no less.
He turns in later than I was shown, he ends up in the middle of the track at the top of the hill, so then he has to get the car turned back to the right.
Chassis is unloaded, steering angle to the right and the engine is coming onto the sweet spot.
Couple that with his decision to turn OFF the traction control for the first time prior to gridding.

His car (leased) made the trip home on a flatbed…

You handled the situation WAAAAY better than he did.
That section of the track falls away pretty fast so without a lot of downforce, the car gets light there. Any steering angle and you'll go off in any relatively powerful RWD car. I used to take this line all the time with FWD and AWD cars with no problem.

I learned my lesson, I now let the car track out left to the middle of the track with no steering angle before coming back to the right for the next corner.

As for handling the situation, I've spun so many times at all sorts of weird angles with years of autocross that I always remember to go off straight and two feet in on the clutch and brake.

That guy got it much worse!

Last edited by Z K; 11-04-2022 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      11-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #22
spxxx
Boost
Rep

I've somehow avoided tragedy twice now... Got lucky last month, went 2-off coming out of cotton corners and was essentially riding on the steel skid plate for a few feet. Another member here actually broke off his OEM drain plug off in that same location due to the large drop-off, luckily he shut it off before the engine ate itself. Glad my Alumalite splash guard took some of the impact, just replaced it with a Pinnacle piece.

Really want some sort of additional protection for the oil drain plug opening. Might start a fun flat bottom / extended front splitter project for the winter.
Attached Images