BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #3169
hayes180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2013 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [10.00]
Anyone running the Bimmerworld TE:AL forged wheels? Thinking of selling my Volks and running these instead 18x10 Et 25 (perfect).

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Wheels-Ti...-Gunmetal.html
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #3170
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes180 View Post
Anyone running the Bimmerworld TE:AL forged wheels? Thinking of selling my Volks and running these instead 18x10 Et 25 (perfect).

The dude that had the big front wing is running them. Can't remember his name.
      02-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #3171
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Greg Smith?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #3172
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Quote:
Greg Smith?
I believe so.
      02-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #3173
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

So is SYT Shadow
      02-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #3174
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Mothers R3.
      02-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #3175
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes180 View Post

If I replaced my Arc8's I'd go with these but I would consider the 10.5's. So many of the 275 tires run wide, I think the extra rim width would be worth it (assuming no other fitment issues).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #3176
hayes180
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
If I replaced my Arc8's I'd go with these but I would consider the 10.5's. So many of the 275 tires run wide, I think the extra rim width would be worth it (assuming no other fitment issues).
thats not a bad idea either... i'm going to look into it for sure.. i think its time i go square though just for the sake of tires..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #3177
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i'm running 10.5's with 275 nt01's and they fit perfect.
      02-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #3178
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
That looks like the old cap.
It is but I was thinking the updated cap will fit... right? Since it the the some motor. Anyways, my hondabond sealant worked... Not leaking for now
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #3179
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
You're running the ARC-8 @ ET27 correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #3180
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamba002 View Post
Quote:
That looks like the old cap.
It is but I was thinking the updated cap will fit... right? Since it the the some motor. Anyways, my hondabond sealant worked... Not leaking for now
Yeah I was mistaken thought that was the new one you bought. Lol
      02-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #3181
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
Quote:
You're running the ARC-8 @ ET27 correct?
Yes sir.

Oem zcp, no spacers. Some guys run 5mm spacers for spring perch clearance. Depends on the coilover.
      02-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #3182
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Mothers R3.
Is amazing stuff!
      02-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #3183
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

yesterday morning i went to cars and coffee at AFE here in california. it was a pretty decent meet, but the real treat (for me) was the factory tour and seeing how they constructed their air filters. i had the pleasure of talking with a few of their engineers/project managers. one of the questions that came to mind was how they determine the size of a fitted filter (like a cone) and how they decide on spacing the pleats (space between the filter ridges). it was explained to me that all the filters they make can handle way more flow capacity than an automotive engine can demand. a more intensely scrunched pleat does "count" as more surface area, but it is not needed. the pleating seemed to be mostly for the structural design and integrity of the filter. and conveniently, the spacing that facilitates good filter rigidity is also good for airflow through the filter. i got to see the cones being made (like filters with the little filters inside of them) and it was really neat. its actually a somewhat labor intensive process.

i also had the pleasure of talking with an engineer after the tour had ended, and i asked him about the use of stippling on shorter sides of intake elbow turns (kinda like the lovell air effect). he showed me a piece he had finished for a diesel truck. it was a cast intercooler/turbo tube that had two integrated internal fins that rounded the corner of the tube. he explained that this simple solution allowed them to keep the elbow tight for clearance issues for the application and essentially solved the "problem" of trying to get air to round a tight corner effectively. this piece was flow tested and proven to feed the turbo face a more consistent stream of air and make more power. they said the fins in the turn alone produced about 12 more horsepower. in the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal, but i thought it was really cool. the engineer cited that stippling the inside elbow might help a little, but it is difficult to do in a casting, and machining takes more time, R&D, and more quality control. understandable.

i then posed a hypothetical scenario to the engineer- i've had this in my head for a little while now. don't laugh! i have been thinking it would be cool to create more air velocity through the throttle bodies without increasing their diameter. i would like to experiment by doing some very mild hexagonal stippling inside of the entire metal body of the throttle body. the theory behind this is it creates a minor amount of turbulent air close to the inside walls of a throttle body and the inside air flows over that air. he said on a street car, i'm splitting hairs when i haven't even done everything i possibly could to get more power. everything- meaning more cost effective, greater power yielding mods. until then, its going to be a nominal effect when the throttle bodies aren't the weak point. makes sense.

i also talked to the president, who i learned is a bmw enthusiast! turns out, the e90 m3 is one of his favorite cars. he has all the afe power mods (intake, pulley, race catted xpipe, rear exhuast) and their new coilovers. the car sounded very nice, and i'm going to be looking into getting one of their xpipes with high flow cats. they said it does not trip the check engine light!

it was a great show. got a free breakfast and some knowledge.
redpriest2147.00
      02-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #3184
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
yesterday morning i went to cars and coffee at AFE here in california. it was a pretty decent meet, but the real treat (for me) was the factory tour and seeing how they constructed their air filters. i had the pleasure of talking with a few of their engineers/project managers. one of the questions that came to mind was how they determine the size of a fitted filter (like a cone) and how they decide on spacing the pleats (space between the filter ridges). it was explained to me that all the filters they make can handle way more flow capacity than an automotive engine can demand. a more intensely scrunched pleat does "count" as more surface area, but it is not needed. the pleating seemed to be mostly for the structural design and integrity of the filter. and conveniently, the spacing that facilitates good filter rigidity is also good for airflow through the filter. i got to see the cones being made (like filters with the little filters inside of them) and it was really neat. its actually a somewhat labor intensive process.

i also had the pleasure of talking with an engineer after the tour had ended, and i asked him about the use of stippling on shorter sides of intake elbow turns (kinda like the lovell air effect). he showed me a piece he had finished for a diesel truck. it was a cast intercooler/turbo tube that had two integrated internal fins that rounded the corner of the tube. he explained that this simple solution allowed them to keep the elbow tight for clearance issues for the application and essentially solved the "problem" of trying to get air to round a tight corner effectively. this piece was flow tested and proven to feed the turbo face a more consistent stream of air and make more power. they said the fins in the turn alone produced about 12 more horsepower. in the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal, but i thought it was really cool. the engineer cited that stippling the inside elbow might help a little, but it is difficult to do in a casting, and machining takes more time, R&D, and more quality control. understandable.

i then posed a hypothetical scenario to the engineer- i've had this in my head for a little while now. don't laugh! i have been thinking it would be cool to create more air velocity through the throttle bodies without increasing their diameter. i would like to experiment by doing some very mild hexagonal stippling inside of the entire metal body of the throttle body. the theory behind this is it creates a minor amount of turbulent air close to the inside walls of a throttle body and the inside air flows over that air. he said on a street car, i'm splitting hairs when i haven't even done everything i possibly could to get more power. everything- meaning more cost effective, greater power yielding mods. until then, its going to be a nominal effect when the throttle bodies aren't the weak point. makes sense.

i also talked to the president, who i learned is a bmw enthusiast! turns out, the e90 m3 is one of his favorite cars. he has all the afe power mods (intake, pulley, race catted xpipe, rear exhuast) and their new coilovers. the car sounded very nice, and i'm going to be looking into getting one of their xpipes with high flow cats. they said it does not trip the check engine light!

Nice review. Are you sure you wernt an engineer in a previous life lol. Interesting stuff
      02-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #3185
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
Quote:

Nice review. Are you sure you wernt an engineer in a previous life lol. Interesting stuff
They asked me if I was an engineer and I explained I was just a dork and I like this stuff. I think I could do good things for a company like afe, but I don't know if they'd want to pay me to tinker around with my nonsense.
      02-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #3186
hayes180
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [10.00]
so redpriest and I today tore up Thunderhill 2-mile in a private 8 hour open track session up here in NorCal. redpriest brought his M4 out and I was in my E92. Awesome driving today as we found each other go at it/ driving with each other for the most of the day. Our lap times were consistent. I PB at 1:26.9 and redpriest got a 1:25.XX. Solid open lapping today.

More importantly for me, I could finally do a "test and tune" with the JRZ's. I would go out for 8-10 laps, adjust, go back out. I ran the car for roughly 45 minutes straight (for a "session.") No issues.

We probably go in over 4 hours of track time, i'm sure more. I'll post some pictures during th week right before BC Round 2 at Buttonwillow.
Appreciate 3
roastbeef11591.50
redpriest2147.00
///Mobbin1478.00
      02-27-2017, 01:25 AM   #3187
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

whats the maintenance recommendation or service intervals for belts for our cars? i'm contemplating a power pulley (likey turner's) and i'd probably do it sooner if i'm close to a belt service interval.
      02-27-2017, 03:42 AM   #3188
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
AIM Solo DL has a weird start/stop finish point for Thunderhill West - with it, I had a 1:25.4; After adjusting it to the "proper" start/finish line it dropped to 1:25.57. Oh well, lol. I spent the entire day in the > 1:26 range. Wasn't until the last hour of the day, on the 14th lap that I managed to get < 1:26.

Really impressed with the ZCP M4 on what's regarded as a "handling" track. I have to preserve my suspension on my E92 since wait time for rebuilds ~ 1 month, so have to reserve my E92 for Bimmer Challenge events.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 2
hayes180398.00
///Mobbin1478.00
      02-27-2017, 03:44 AM   #3189
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post

Really impressed with the ZCP M4 on what's regarded as a "handling" track. I have to preserve my suspension on my E92 since wait time for rebuilds ~ 1 month, so have to reserve my E92 for Bimmer Challenge events.
what do you mean a rebuild? did you not rebuild the shocks before they went in on purpose so you could take them back out and change something after a few shakedown runs?
      02-27-2017, 03:45 AM   #3190
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
what do you mean a rebuild? did you not rebuild the shocks before they went in on purpose so you could take them back out and change something after a few shakedown runs?
It wasn't until after I had installed them and after a track day that the popcorn sound was really noticeable. It doesn't seem to impact the handling, but I know it's a ticking time bomb at this point.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0