BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-04-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What is the Best Mount for Recaro Sportster CS?

I spent quite some time searching for answers to mounts for the Recaro Sportster CS in an e92m3 and oddly enough I couldn't find much. I am 6'1 and I can no longer stand the towering position of the stock seats even at its lowest setting. I have decided to go with the sportster CS because I am looking for a leather bucket seat. Now the issue is finding the proper mounting solution to lower the seat position an appropriate amount. Based on a quick search, it's fairly obvious that the two main options are either BK or MS/Recaro mounts. With Pole Positions, that would be easy as it is side mounted and the height could be adjusted. Unfortunately, I am too tall for that seat so that is not an option for me. Hence the sportster CS is my only realistic choice. Here is the catch, with it being bottom mounted, the height can't really be adjusted. So do I go with BK mounts? It retains the OEM electric sliders so the mechanism is going to take up space. Hence, I am unsure how much lower that will really be compared to OEM seats. With the MS/Recaro floor mounts and sliders, the issues are the following:
  • Non centered seating position with MS floor mounts
  • Apparently need to drill your own holes to make it work
  • Apparently Recaro sliders aren't rigid like the using BK mounts
  • MS/Recaro possibly dropping the seat way too low

So I am just reaching out to see if anyone has experience with the Sportster CS and which mounting solution is best, taking into account rigidity and seat height compared to the stock seats. I want to be able to wear a helmet comfortably, which is currently impossible.

Thanks in advance!
      12-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
Battle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Prius

I've read that the bk don't lower the height at all. Either Ms or vac is the way to go
      12-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
What mounts do the BMW m performance branded recaros use?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #4
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I have ms mounts with Recaro sliders. No need to drill anything, there's a sequence to bolting down the seats and they're a bout 1.5" off the floor. They are a bit off centered and push you slightly closer to the door which I don't notice and enjoy the snug feel. You can't adjust the seat back with the door closed however. Overall I'm very happy with them.
Attached Images

12-05-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
GSEN820
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 DCT

I used wedge brackets. Fit and finish are perfect. The seat does not sit low like my previous bucket set up. I liked my oem seats on lowest setting. These brackets sit a tad higher but perfect for me. They are centered to the steering wheel no adjusting needed
      12-05-2021, 10:07 PM   #6
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I have ms mounts with Recaro sliders. No need to drill anything, there's a sequence to bolting down the seats and they're a bout 1.5" off the floor. They are a bit off centered and push you slightly closer to the door which I don't notice and enjoy the snug feel. You can't adjust the seat back with the door closed however. Overall I'm very happy with them.
What is causing you to be unable to adjust the seat with the door closed? Is it because it is off centered and the seat actually hits the door?

How much lower would you say you're sitting with this set up vs the stock seats at the lowest setting?

Are there any unwanted (i.e lateral) movement with the recaro rails? I read somewhere that the reason BK mounts are better is because utilizing OEM rails make the seat rigid without any play in movement.

Thanks!
      12-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #7
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle View Post
I've read that the bk don't lower the height at all. Either Ms or vac is the way to go
That doesn't sound good. The main reason I am switching to buckets is to lower the seating position. The extra support is just a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
What mounts do the BMW m performance branded recaros use?
I think it comes with it's own mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSEN820 View Post
I used wedge brackets. Fit and finish are perfect. The seat does not sit low like my previous bucket set up. I liked my oem seats on lowest setting. These brackets sit a tad higher but perfect for me. They are centered to the steering wheel no adjusting needed
Just to clarify, you mean the wedge brackets are a tad higher than your previous bucket set up or the oem seats on lowest setting? I assume you mean the former, but that information is not useful to me. Rather, could you say how much lower you're sitting now on wedge brackets compared to oem on lowest setting? Also, are you using the Sportster CS or some other seat?

Thanks guys!
      12-05-2021, 10:34 PM   #8
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

They're not hitting the door but reaching the adjuster with door closed is a struggle. The offset is only mm's. They're considerably lower than stock powered seats. Not too low though I couldn't put a number on it. You'd have to measure yours and see the pic posted to compare.
      12-06-2021, 02:01 AM   #9
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
They're not hitting the door but reaching the adjuster with door closed is a struggle. The offset is only mm's. They're considerably lower than stock powered seats. Not too low though I couldn't put a number on it. You'd have to measure yours and see the pic posted to compare.
my mistake. I thought you meant moving the seat backwards but I just realized you were referring to not being able to recline the seat.
      12-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
If you're tall and want the seat centered, you really just need to get a side mounted seat. The e9X's tunnel gets very wide towards the base, so to the lower you go, the more it pushed you towards the door (off center).

I also find the Sportster CS to be an overrated seat in general-- IMO it's not particularly more supportive than stock, it's not that much lighter than stock, and the harness pass through holes are low enough that they're dangerous to use for 95% of the male population (spine compression). I'm pretty sure their popularity is based on the fact that they look cool and say recaro on them.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #11
TrackPit
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

There isn't a good one. Just who is least bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #12
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

The Sportster CS is probably the best in between seat that retains much of the comfort and functionality of a stock seat.
There are not many that recline, look good and offer more support than stock seats. Are they a fixed bucket?.....no but that is the beauty of them imo. They loose a decent amount of weight (as long as you aren't comparing to side airbag models) and on the track they kept me in place alot better than stock seats ever did, I was not sliding around and didn't need to brace myself on the door like before, was more easily able to focus on driving.

I measured over 1" lower compared to stock with my planted mounts. I hear BK mounts are lower but I haven't personally tried them.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #13
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
If you're tall and want the seat centered, you really just need to get a side mounted seat. The e9X's tunnel gets very wide towards the base, so to the lower you go, the more it pushed you towards the door (off center).

I also find the Sportster CS to be an overrated seat in general-- IMO it's not particularly more supportive than stock, it's not that much lighter than stock, and the harness pass through holes are low enough that they're dangerous to use for 95% of the male population (spine compression). I'm pretty sure their popularity is based on the fact that they look cool and say recaro on them.
Yeah, unfortunately there aren't any leather side mounted seats other than the pole positions that I can think of and I am too tall for them. I think the CS is popular among those looking for a sportier feel rather than the full support needed on the track. That fits the bill quite perfectly for me. While I did mention in my post about harness pass through holes, I don't intend on using any. Them being too low on the PP just means I'm too tall for the seat. So to your point, I'm not getting the CS because they look cool and say recaro on them (that's just a bonus ), but because I am looking for a full leather seat that can allow me to lower the towering seating position of the stock seats. Honestly what were they even thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPit View Post
There isn't a good one. Just who is least bad.
I am getting to the conclusion that may be the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
The Sportster CS is probably the best in between seat that retains much of the comfort and functionality of a stock seat.
There are not many that recline, look good and offer more support than stock seats. Are they a fixed bucket?.....no but that is the beauty of them imo. They loose a decent amount of weight (as long as you aren't comparing to side airbag models) and on the track they kept me in place alot better than stock seats ever did, I was not sliding around and didn't need to brace myself on the door like before, was more easily able to focus on driving.

I measured over 1" lower compared to stock with my planted mounts. I hear BK mounts are lower but I haven't personally tried them.
Agreed. Thanks for giving actual helpful feedback on seat height. I was going to get BK mounts but I heard it doesn't actually lower the seat much. Makes sense considering you'll still have the electric motors under the seats to power them on stock rails. I think I'm going to be using some variant of floor mounts and recaro rails. I just hope the Recaro rails are rigid. I wouldn't want the seats to have any sort of play.
      12-09-2021, 09:07 PM   #14
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
@///Matt.BLU

Consider the Sparco QRT performance. It's leather / Alcantara combo and match the interior perfectly. The shoulder spots have room if you're taller torso, they're not too tight (very steetable), and way more supportive than CS.

Substantially lower with BK sides on the OEM sliders (passenger) but even lower with BK direct to floor mount (driver side).

I'm 5'10", and my eye line is just barely over the hump.
Attached Images

12-09-2021, 11:33 PM   #15
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

DRLane

Thanks for the suggestion, you just made my life more difficult haha.
Mine is not a dedicated track car so direct to floor mount is not an option for me.
With your passenger side seat, where does the top of the harness holes line up relative to the top of the door panel/bottom of the window?

Thanks!
      12-09-2021, 11:40 PM   #16
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt.BLU View Post
DRLane

Thanks for the suggestion, you just made my life more difficult haha.
Mine is not a dedicated track car so direct to floor mount is not an option for me.
With your passenger side seat, where does the top of the harness holes line up relative to the top of the door panel/bottom of the window?

Thanks!
Depends on the angle of the seat. Here's the driver seat on the BK mounts, oem sliders, and with the seat tilted a little more upright. And more interior Looks pretty classy?
Attached Images

12-11-2021, 12:57 AM   #17
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Depends on the angle of the seat. Here's the driver seat on the BK mounts, oem sliders, and with the seat tilted a little more upright. And more interior Looks pretty classy?
It definitely looks great. It reminds me of the Recaro Pole Positions, which are still my favorite looking seats. Too bad they don't make them to fit even the average height men.

Thanks for your help, definitely give me another option to consider!
      10-17-2022, 05:13 PM   #18
Pacific Standard
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

OP,

Not to resurrect an old thread but what combination of bracket/rail gave you the most headroom? I am in the same situation in my E90 and would love to hear what worked for you.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Thumbie94.00
      10-18-2022, 04:12 PM   #19
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Standard View Post
OP,

Not to resurrect an old thread but what combination of bracket/rail gave you the most headroom? I am in the same situation in my E90 and would love to hear what worked for you.

Thanks!
With the sportster CS you really don't have many options since it's bottom mounted. Either BK to use OEM rails or Recaro rails with one of the variations of floor mounts. I haven't installed the seats yet unfortunately. Realized during my initial attempt at installation that I needed to buy the MS seat belt receptacle mounts. I still don't understand how Recaro does not offer something for you to mount your seatbelts. Hopefully they'll arrive by Friday then I can install them and give an update here. I went with a floor mount from a local shop that hopefully will solve the centering issue.
      10-19-2022, 09:19 AM   #20
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Standard View Post
OP,

Thanks!
If head room is your goal, you should really get a side mounted seat.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport

Last edited by Obioban; 10-31-2022 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 11:15 PM   #21
///Matt.BLU
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I just installed the seats with a Macht Schnell equivalent floor mount from a local shop and Recaro rails. I am 6'1 and my shoulder is now level with the door. I want to say that it was at least 2 inches above that with the stock seats in the lowest position. It's a big improvement but I wouldn't mind if the seat was another inch lower if I'm honest. For side mounted bucket seats I'm sure that would be possible but since the Sportster CS is bottom mounted, there isn't any height adjustability in the installation process. Considering it retains the recline functionality, I am okay with how it turned out.

I just have a question for those who have aftermarket bucket seats. Did you leave the seat belt receptacle wire plugged or unplugged under the seat? I watched Youtube videos of the installation and it seems that people plug the seatbelt receptacle wire back into the big yellow plug under the seat. The problem is that when I tried to code it out, the restraint error would not go away unless it was unplugged. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Thanks!
      11-06-2022, 08:38 PM   #22
darkbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow m3

Recaro makes actual brackets for the seats how ever you need to use oem manual sliders. From another m3, 128 or and i3 They fit perfect, seat lines up perfectly hope this helps
Appreciate 0