BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

12-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I agree with you. It very much seems like we are actually asking them to do it. However if they do do it you know darn right well they will sneak it in.
Hmmm, this sounds strangely familiar to something happening right now, what could it be? LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Let’s talk about your signature real quick. Less than 20% of Americans who are millionaires inherited it. 80% or more are self-made. And America is not a democracy thank God almighty. We are a republic. In total freedom it’s very complicated to blame others for one’s own predicament. Oh believe me I know they try but those of us who know better realize they are only whining. Carry on.
It's getting OT: it's a movie quote, so don't take it literally, but basically the overclass controls all, there is no 'democracy' in whatever form ppl wanna believe they supposedly have. Norman Mailer said decades ago that the US was already a fascist state, yet amazingly many ppl still think it's all roses. Anyway...
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #24
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
This is what happens when less-than-intelligent+greedy ppl outnumber the rest, buying into those insurance driving-habits devices to shortsightedly save a few bucks (w the insurers laughably saying it won't be used against them), setting a dangerous trend of what are the genpop tolerances.
I was going to say who in their right mind would let an insurance company or anyone else for that matter tap into your car computer, but then I caught myself and I can honestly say there are lots of people who would not only sign up for it but also want it mandated for all cars. I think we know the group of folks who roll that way, same ones that sit in the left lane doing the speed limit, because it't the speed limit.
Appreciate 4
RickFLM410873.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I was going to say who in their right mind would let an insurance company or anyone else for that matter tap into your car computer, but then I caught myself and I can honestly say there are lots of people who would not only sign up for it but also want it mandated for all cars. I think we know the group of folks who roll that way, same ones that sit in the left lane doing the speed limit, because it't the speed limit.
I try not to lump ppl into broad groups but like I said, these less-than-intelligents really don't know what they are doing to society by condoning these types of intrusions, it's a slippery slope.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Patton2502936.50
      12-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #26
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Invest in parking lots and garages.
sygazelle11091.00
      12-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #27
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
I try not to lump ppl into broad groups but like I said, these less-than-intelligents really don't know what they are doing to society by condoning these types of intrusions, it's a slippery slope.
I don’t know if they’re necessarily less intelligent brother. Remember different people look up to, trust, worship and are encouraged by different entities. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. Faith does.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #28
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Privilege's vs Right's.
Username checks out
Reborn_292.00
      12-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #29
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

...yet I know really intelligent people who have no issue having Alexa or similar service run their house and listen all the time. Used to be, wire tapping was a federal offense. Now, really smart people are gladly welcoming this intrusion into their homes because its cool and convenient.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
2000cs3443.50
      12-05-2021, 08:20 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
...yet I know really intelligent people who have no issue having Alexa or similar service run their house and listen all the time. Used to be, wire tapping was a federal offense. Now, really smart people are gladly welcoming this intrusion into their homes because its cool and convenient.
Yup, exactly. I'll never have one in my home, I'm not that lazy. "Alexa, can you change my thermostat temp?" Really? LOL. Never mind some employees were caught to have spied on some homes and ppl still welcome those things w open arms.

To be fair, we're already screwed since we all pretty much have 'smart'phones, but why introduce yet another listening device that is purpose-built to listen in?
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      12-05-2021, 11:44 PM   #31
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Why don't they provide a citation for the section of the law that describes this particular item?

Someone took the time to read the relevant portion and provide a summary. So, why not provide a citation?

Here is a link to the text of the law: link.

Section 24209 seems to cover driver distraction but not the items described in the OP.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      12-06-2021, 08:01 AM   #32
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

https://www.motortrend.com/news/anti...tructure-bill/

Quote:
While there are no specifics, the mandated technology in future models 2026 and beyond needs to "passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired." As of now, some drivers convicted of drunk driving must use a breathalyzer device that connects to the car ignition interlock. If their blood alcohol level is exceedingly high when they blow into the tube, the vehicle is automatically disabled.
General Motors, BMW, and Nissan have already started installing infrared cameras that monitor driver behavior. These cameras track driver attentiveness and use semi-automated driver-assist systems. Making sure drivers keep their eyes on the road, they look for indications of impairment, drowsiness, or loss of consciousness. If any of these behaviors are detected, a warning alerts the driver and only escalates if said behaviors continue. Hazard lights come on, speed decreases, and the vehicle either comes to a halt or pulls over to the side of the road
I guess there are no specifics yet
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:18 AM   #33
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
2025 MY vehicles will be in high demand.
MY2026 is the deadline for all cars. Several makes/models already have those cameras.

I wonder if the car will still work if I put tape over the cameras.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #34
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

bmw asst, on star and others like Toyota with connected services can ALL be turned off

Without specifically signing a waiver (jumping a couple hoops) calling dedicated departments, it's ON when you get your car already in some form

I'm sure people will have an option to limit recording in their personal car

My Tahoe, past 4 Bimmers and Tundra all had to be turned off

*Pic is a waiver I had to sign before bmw could deactivate
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      12-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #35
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
You perfectly described my Prius driving step dad. I wont ride in the car if he's driving because I'm convinced someone is going to shoot him or run him off the road one day. That's not an internet exaggeration. I've had many conversation with him and my mom about it. He's extraordinarily unsafe on the road because he tries to enforce traffic rules as he sees them. Once, on a winding 2-lane mountain road, he took it upon himself to ensure everyone lined up behind him achieved maximum MPGs by "hyper-miling" his Prius which i can only imagine translates into driving as slow and humanly possible while the people stuck behind you go out of their f'ing minds and contemplate passing on blind corners.

Yeah, my stepdad would 10,000% approve of this legislation and probably think "It's a start but doesnt go far enough."
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      12-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #36
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
The author's article goes on to enumerate and sensationalize various big brother scenarios. But if we take it on the face of the quote..."passively monitoring the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired," it appears to be a way to disable a vehicle for those driving under the influence. Not that I agree w/the intervention.

I've recently learned that some DUI individuals purchase electric bicycles to get around to the bars b/c they are not a regulated vehicle like a scooter.

May want to read the Data Memory section of the owner's manual.

Just one small excerpt.
Attached Images

Last edited by omasou; 12-06-2021 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #37
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
Why don't they provide a citation for the section of the law that describes this particular item?

Someone took the time to read the relevant portion and provide a summary. So, why not provide a citation?

Here is a link to the text of the law: link.

Section 24209 seems to cover driver distraction but not the items described in the OP.
Because it’s obvious click-bait to rile up conservatives. The actual legislation is requesting carmakers to develop a way to detect impairment and prevent operation of the vehicle. It’s not a “back door” or anything even close to remote access but they know their average reader isn’t going to be sophisticated enough to google it to see if they are full of shit.

Even though it is just “find a way to keep drunk drivers from starting the car I feel it’s not likely something we would see any time soon. Thinking this is feasible in the near time is probably the result of a misunderstanding of the capabilities of what we are calling AI right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #38
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
To be fair, we're already screwed since we all pretty much have 'smart'phones, but why introduce yet another listening device that is purpose-built to listen in?
This. How do you think Google Maps knows where there are slow downs on the highways? Because it's monitoring the speed of the devices, thereby monitoring the speed of the vehicle and it's location.

Jon Stossel did a report years ago that even when you turn off your GPS, it's not really turned off. I work for a large tech company and can also confirm it listens and makes recommendations on products and such.

So my point is, it cracks me up to see people complain about privacy while using smartphones and/or the Internet.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #39
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Because it’s obvious click-bait to rile up conservatives. The actual legislation is requesting carmakers to develop a way to detect impairment and prevent operation of the vehicle. It’s not a “back door” or anything even close to remote access but they know their average reader isn’t going to be sophisticated enough to google it to see if they are full of shit.

Even though it is just “find a way to keep drunk drivers from starting the car I feel it’s not likely something we would see any time soon. Thinking this is feasible in the near time is probably the result of a misunderstanding of the capabilities of what we are calling AI right now.
Let's not be dismissive and make this political. The point is they have and will mandate monitoring for new cars under the guise of "drunk driving"
I don't really drink, so I'm not worried about that.

This isn't a "conservative" issue - it's appearing in all the news, including Motortrend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
      12-06-2021, 09:13 AM   #40
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post

Except there are ignition interlocks now to stop impaired drivers. In Ontario if you get convicted of impaired driving you must install one of these on your car at your expense, it requires that you provide it a breath sample before you can drive the car. Some folks in government and some politicians are pushing to have them installed in all new cars. This doesn't have to be about riling up conservatives, the fact remains that as technology comes along government will use it to restrict activities that it deems unsavoury. We live in a culture where banning something or regulating something is easier than addressing bad behaviour of the offenders.
Appreciate 2
AmuroRay2165.00
      12-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #41
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Even worse, the measure goes on to require that the system be "open" to remote access by "authorized" third parties at any time.”
Hack of the century.
My prediction is that some 16 year old russian kid in the concrete suburbs of Moscow has cracked it before it even comes to market
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #42
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Let's not be dismissive and make this political. The point is they have and will mandate monitoring for new cars under the guise of "drunk driving"
I don't really drink, so I'm not worried about that.

This isn't a "conservative" issue - it's appearing in all the news, including Motortrend.
My reading of the bill doesn't jive with what the Motortrend article describes. Motortrend 11/11/21 "Congress is pushing for the monitoring systems to begin rolling out in new vehicles no later than 2026."

The Bill is seems is describing how drunk driving reduction technology is a platform that must be in passenger vehicles, however until such technology is investigated as being possible there is no date set as to when they should be placed into production. The bill actually makes allowance for how to proceed if regulators aren't satisfied with the research. The Bill describes how to proceed if the technology is not satisfactory for production in as long as ten-years from now.

Quote from the legislation SEC. 24220

"(3) if the Federal motor vehicle safety standard required by
subsection (c) has not been finalized by the date that is 10 years
after the date of enactment of this Act, shall submit to the
Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate
and the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of
Representative a report describing--
(A) the reasons why the Federal motor vehicle safety
standard has not been finalized;
(B) the barriers to finalizing the Federal motor vehicle
safety standard; and
(C) recommendations to Congress to facilitate the Federal
motor vehicle safety standard."
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #43
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

In the words of my neighboring state motto "Live Free or Die"

The Bay State has some really old fashioned laws still 2 party consent wire taping, the gist is you should feel comfortable knowing your not being recorded in a personal space (car) (Home) or any place reasonably considered a private space

Nobody needs to know where I go how long I've been there or if I'm going 11 mph faster than the posted limit

Tech looking for dangerous activity is a slipper slope, I rather have a SP trooper in hooker boots pull me over on the pike articulating a suspicion of me doing something wrong not a bot flagging me because I aggressively drove around a slow driver

Mini rant sorry, btw I'm not politically right or left, raised and live both in Blue Boston & Red southern FL
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
kscarrol8775.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #44
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This. How do you think Google Maps knows where there are slow downs on the highways? Because it's monitoring the speed of the devices, thereby monitoring the speed of the vehicle and it's location.

Jon Stossel did a report years ago that even when you turn off your GPS, it's not really turned off. I work for a large tech company and can also confirm it listens and makes recommendations on products and such.

So my point is, it cracks me up to see people complain about privacy while using smartphones and/or the Internet.
Oh, for sure. However, my reasoning is that why add even more invasive stuff into your world? An analogy being my arm's already broken, should I say 'meh' and bang it around some more...or try to take steps not make it worse? Or I already have one gun pointed at me, are ppl saying since that they don't mind more being pointed as well? I don't get that kinda logic. Anyway, too bad I'm so inept at IT, if I was a superhacker or something I'd make sure to debug all my electronic stuff.

Re GPS, do ppl really think they gave you that freebie outta the goodness of their hearts? LOL. They had this way before Google Maps, Waze, etc became popular. Also, the touchscreens requiring heat because supposedly they are more accurate by the cynic in me thinks it's just another tracking tool.
Appreciate 0