BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

11-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
CIC blank screen after NAV update

I've got a CIC on my 2012 and I updated the nav to 2021 yesterday. The upload was interrupted once but second attempt picked up right where it left off. The system restarted fine and the new map loaded but I noticed that the CIC wouldn't display the Nav version when I went to verify. I shrugged and shut off the car.

Returned later in the day to drive the car and suddenly have a black screen on my CIC. Radio still works via bluetooth streaming from my phone. I don't get the BMW screen at start-up or anything. I reset/rebooted the CIC by holding the volume button about 15 second. The screen goes to true black, then reboots to project a backlit blank screen.

I have an aftermarket carplay box. All the fittings are tight. I never use it for carplay but it allows me to display a reverse camera - which doesn't work either now.

I've read others report that you can brick the CIC after software updates but it seems to me the CIC is working if I can still stream music. The fact that the screen is blank and backlit tells me the screen is getting power (and a signal).

Anyone run into this? Any suggestions for troubleshooting/repair?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Do you know if your car's istep version is up to date? If not, and if your CIC is on an older version, doing an istep update that updates the CIC firmware could possibly bring this back to life. You'd want to do it via an ICOM-B interface and the ISTA/P software. I would take the carplay unit out of the loop before updating this.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
The system restarted fine and the new map loaded but I noticed that the CIC wouldn't display the Nav version when I went to verify. I shrugged and shut off the car.
I'm not sure what the problem is, but one thing I can add is your statement about the nav version being blank after update is normal. I noticed that it took a few minutes after the update finished to show the new nav version. So I wouldn't think what happened there would contribute to the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:34 AM   #4
asma123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 5G 4Runner, 9G Civic

Try pressing and holding the volume button till it hopefully restarts
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I'm not sure what the problem is, but one thing I can add is your statement about the nav version being blank after update is normal. I noticed that it took a few minutes after the update finished to show the new nav version. So I wouldn't think what happened there would contribute to the problem.

Thanks, drwankel. That's exactly what happened though it took longer than a couple minutes. The next day after reporting the issue on the forum, I started the car and bam, everything was good to go. My CIC just needed a good nap after going through all that work updating the map software. I once took a computer programming class, so I'm 99% sure that was it.
Appreciate 0