BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-17-2021, 03:14 AM   #1
Ynote92
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Interior plastics degradation

I've noticed a common issue that the interior plastics degrade and lose their coating. Anyone have a good solution if you can't source new parts. Thanks in advance .
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:09 AM   #2
ygoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

There are spray cans with BMW soft touch paint, haven't tried them on my E90, but in my e46 it worked well, the prep work of removing all of the old paint and sanding everything down took quite a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #3
FundedbyCrypto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynote92 View Post
I've noticed a common issue that the interior plastics degrade and lose their coating. Anyone have a good solution if you can't source new parts. Thanks in advance .
You can source new parts, or is it you don't want to ?
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
FundedbyCrypto
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry if that seemed a bit rude, it wasn't my intention, I only ask because I am in the process of replacing every piece of wear in my E90 and there has not been a single part I haven't been able to order from BMW. Guards, buttons, keys, plastic shields, seals etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:25 PM   #5
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundedbyCrypto View Post
Sorry if that seemed a bit rude, it wasn't my intention, I only ask because I am in the process of replacing every piece of wear in my E90 and there has not been a single part I haven't been able to order from BMW. Guards, buttons, keys, plastic shields, seals etc.
You make a good point - it is fortunate these parts are still available and I think the better way to go in the long run. I have seen many DIY refinishing posts on the forums but the quality of the results vary and chances are, never look quite right. I have done the same and replaced the trim pieces as necessary (fortunately only the steering wheel trim and the lower trim of the CIC unit).

The only one that I haven’t done yet is the driver door pull/handle. That piece is part of the door trim and a much bigger job. Fortunately it only has a couple of light scratches that I can live with for now.

I actually suspect these soft-touch trim pieces deteriorate through the use of interior vinyl protectants/restorers rather than anything else including the Aussie sun.
      11-19-2021, 12:26 AM   #6
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

these parts degrade because bmw build quality on these parts is garbage

our cars drive nicely and are aesthetically appealing but the quality of these plastics are very poor.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:56 AM   #7
Ynote92
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundedbyCrypto View Post
Quote:
You can source new parts, or is it you don't want to ?
Thanks, wasn't sure you could order new parts for an older car, figured they'd have run out long ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 04:46 AM   #8
FundedbyCrypto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, wasn't sure you could order new parts for an older car, figured they'd have run out long ago.
I'm fairly certain that the German manufacturers continue to make and stock parts for their cars for 20 years, certainly for their more prestigious models. You could literally build a brand new car from parts if you wanted too, however it would be several times the price of what the car would have been new.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #9
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Quote:
Have you seen this? Check out the second, more recent video.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412182