BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

02-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3 w/DCT

Question Squeaking Stock Suspension???

Started the other night.....very faint squeak...squeak (sounds like a small parakeet or something) when I had the windows down and rode over an expansion joint on the highway. Several days later, now the sound is much louder (I can hear it with the windows up or down) and it seems to make the noise with every movement of the suspension....small bumps, big bumps, any undulation in the road.

What gives? The car has around 11,000 miles on it and starts squeaking already. The only changes made to the car thus far is a set of new rims (RAC Monolite RG63 - No Spacers) and the addition of a catback exhaust (Meisterschaft GT). Could it be the connections on the exhaust? Anybody else have their suspension start to squeak so soon?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I have a similar prolem. mine only usually happens at mid speeds around 30-50 when I go over a row of road reflectors or an expansion joint. Kind of like a high rebound situation in the shock. its a metal clacking noise. One guy says the shock was bad but both sides do it. I have Dinan springs. The dealer says the shocks are fine and it could be because its stiffer now and the brake caliper is making the noise. Makes no sense to me. Thinking about putting coilovers on the car and dumping the stock suspension. The noise sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Try this
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep

How long did it take to think that up and find a pic to link to?!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Not long at all why? Apparently humor isn't appreciated, so you have two choices. Try and track it down yourself and use said spray, or go to the dealer and let them figure it out. The reality of the deal is that there are many parts on your car that connect/rub/squeak in some way and often all the dealer will do is lube them where they touch.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep

Part of me doesn't think it is the suspension, as I stated it may be the connections in the exhaust or the exhaust mounts themselves. I was attempting to see if anybody else had experienced squeaking from the chassis. Apparently, this not to common an issue, which leads me to back to the exhaust.

I have a decent sense of humor and laughed when I saw your reply. That was my way of ribbing you back.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Only in turns of in general?
In turns my makes a click click click noise.. When driving hard core only, but the noise I describe is normal.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoE46 View Post
Part of me doesn't think it is the suspension, as I stated it may be the connections in the exhaust or the exhaust mounts themselves. I was attempting to see if anybody else had experienced squeaking from the chassis. Apparently, this not to common an issue, which leads me to back to the exhaust.

I have a decent sense of humor and laughed when I saw your reply. That was my way of ribbing you back.
Sorry, my mistake! I need to switch to decaf...

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Very interesting observations. I recently had some alingnment done and since then at lower speed have been experiencing a very faint squeak. I thought I was hearing things but no it is always there. Don't know what caused it. By the way I have 17,000 km on a Nov '07 delivered car.

Last edited by aussiem3; 03-02-2010 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: additions
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I have been getting a faint squeak when the car/suspension is warm going over expansion joints. I first noticed in a parking garage with the driver's window down after ~14K. It hasn't squeaked since it has been cold. The dealer couldn't repeat the noise of course... I am twitchy about the suspension after an EDC failure 400 miles in after a f**ked up LoJack install (long story, no need to repeat)

If you have an update, I would love to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep

No update. I went under the car yesterday and checked to make sure the exhaust connections were tight and weren't the issue. Everything looked good. As soon as everything warmed up on a drive, I could hear the squeaking again. Can't seem to isolate it, unless the exhaust connections are getting loose once they start to expand due to heat.

Very annoying little squeaks
Appreciate 0