BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

brakes - BBK vs simple upgrades

on the fence regarding a brake upgrade. Part of me wants to go with the beautiful yellow brembo kit and part wants to save the dough and go for ss lines, pads, and fluid. Just got a quote for labor alone to do the pads, lines and fluid and the shop is telling me $500. Seems expensive. Thats in addition to another $350 for the parts (stoptech lines, Hawk pads, motul). Any help appreciated. I do plan to start tracking the car......
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I think someone mentioned the Hawk pads made noise when you back up and then go forward because of some issue with the backing plates. I had the same issues in my E36 M3.
Are you going to be tracking the car? That should really determine if you should get the BBK.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

How much track experience do you have?

If you're just starting out, you'll be fine by just changing the pads/lines/fluid.
      03-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek View Post
How much track experience do you have?

If you're just starting out, you'll be fine by just changing the pads/lines/fluid.
+1

If you just auto-x, or if you just started going to the track, then just getting some new pads would be the best. Cool Carbon makes a great application for your car, PM me for more information if you like.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

The only time you absolutely 'need' a BBK in a e9xM3 ... is when you are really fast at the track (fastest BMW or Top 3)... to the point where you notice your OE Calipers' paint bubble or boil.

Other then that.... SS Lines, 600C+ Fluid and Race Pads will do.
Appreciate 0