BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

09-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Swissvax'ed: Silver Porsche GT2RS

It's been a crazy last few weeks! I've been putting in over 60 hours a week Detailing!

GT2RS:

This GT2RS in particular took me about 9 hours on my own for the exterior, the Interior is going to be done, but at a later date when the Swissvax Leather Healer comes in.

Where to begin... This car hadn't been washed in a VERY long time, and spent a whole year in Canada without any sort of "Proper" Detailing, and had only recently been brought back to Miami.

The exterior was very contaminated to say the least.

Here's how the car looked upon arriving at the owner's Airplane Hangar...

After unloading my supplies from the car, I decided to go ahead and apply SONAX Full Effect to the wheels before preparing the buckets in order to let the product work in.

Following cleaning the wheels, I proceeded to clean inside all the hard-to-reach areas and body panel creases. For this I used P21S Total Auto Wash with a Swissvax Detail Brush

Swissvax Car Bath Opaque was used on all the Matte Carbon body pieces.

Following the wash, the entire exterior surface, including glass was clayed using Swissvax Paint Rubber (Yellow) with Quick Finish for lubrication. Following that, all the rubber seals were treated with Swissvax Seal Feed; and the plastics were treated with Swissvax Protecton.

Next on the list was to take care of the Matte Carbon pieces wit hthe Swissvax Opaque Line

After treating all the Matte surfaces, I proceeded to Apply Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular and subsequently Swissvax Autobahn Wheel Wax by hand.

I then treated the exterior with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular By Hand

The gloss Paint was then treated with Swissvax Zuffenhausen wax for Porsche Paint Systems.

Removing the wax with a Swissvax MicroPolish towel... the BEST towel to remove wax...

Drumroll Please.................

Wait for it..........

And the Finished Result!

Remember, NONE of these images have been retouched in any way after shooting, these are how the shots come DIRECTLY from the Camera.

The Door Jambs were finished with Swissvax Nano Express (Glossy) and Swissvax Opaque Wax (Matte)

The interior HAS NOT been detailed yet, but still worth a picture...

The result of Swissvax Opaque on a matte Finish

That's all for that one! Thanks for looking!

Here's the list of products used:

-P21s TAW
-1Z Blitz
-1Z W99
-1Z Windscreen
-Sonax Full Effect
-#0000 Steel Wool

Swissvax:
-Car Bath
-Engine
-Protecton
-Seal Feed
-Engine Shine
-Paint Rubber (Yellow)
-Quick Finish
-Cleaner Fluid Regular by Hand
-Zuffenhausen Porsche wax
-Nano Express
-Cleaner Fluid Regular
-Autobahn PTFE Wax (Wheels)
-Pneu Glossy
-Waschpudel
-Black Puck Applicator
-Black wax applicator
-Micro-Absorb (Red)
-Micro-Polish (Blue)
-Micro-Fluffy
-Pneu Brush
-Detail Brush
-Wheel Brush
-Metal Polish
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
thats just awesome. great work
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Looks amazing, but what took 9 hours. This looks like a wash, clay, prep and protect job. Didn't involve any polishing. Not knockin your work by any means, just curious.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS5 View Post
Looks amazing, but what took 9 hours. This looks like a wash, clay, prep and protect job. Didn't involve any polishing. Not knockin your work by any means, just curious.

There's a lot more to it than the stuff you listed above...

Plus, doing things the right way and completely thorough takes more time than the average job...

The wash alone takes about 2-3 hours, by the time you apply SONAX to all the wheels, wash each wheel, wheel well, tire, and exhaust tip, you're about an hour out... Then comes the crevice cleaning, which takes about another 30 min to an hour, then comes the wash, which takes about another 30 min. Next is drying the car, about 30 min... Then comes clay, about an hour and a half...

Next comes treating the rubber seals and plastic trim peices, about another 30 min or so...

Then comes the cleaner fluid. You can simply apply it and wipe it off very quickly and easily, however I like to really saturate the finish with the clener fluid, not by applying excessive product, but by going over the area a few times until I have a uniform finish. That takes about 2-3 hours.

Then comes the wax, which when applied using the palms of your hands takes about 4-5 hours and with an applicator about an hour.

The matte parts are also treated using totally different products and have to be done completely separate.

Then comes the wheels, takes about 30 min for each wheel to apply cleaner fluid, wipe it off, apply autobahn and wipe it off (I do this after applying wax to all 4 wheels), apply Pneu, and treat the wheel wells. Remember, I'm treating the face of the wheel and brake caliper (If applicable).

Then comes the body jambs, which takes about another 30 minutes to an hour depending on the car. Then comes cleaning the interior and exterior glass, which takes about another 15 minutes, and then the final wipedown and inspection which takes another hour to an hour and a half.

And then there's little things like polishing the exhaust, vacuuming the interior, etc... that take small amounts of time...

Sorry to rant, but it really bugs me why people don't understand that a proper detailing takes so long!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

No need to be sorry, as I do completely understand why and how detailing takes so long. I worked on a WRX 2 weeks ago that took me 9 hours, but that was with polishing (2 step, SIP followed by Powerfinish, cleaned exhaust tips, sonax on the wheels, treated rubber, IPA whipe down, 1 coat SV Insignis, etc). You're better off laying the SV down with an applicator, there are no benefits to "melting it" in your palms. As stated prior, amazing work and even better you have the clientel to pay your for those hours, still amazed how long it took. I suppose that says something about your attention to detail.

Last edited by JonnyM3; 10-03-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
There's a lot more to it than the stuff you listed above...

Plus, doing things the right way and completely thorough takes more time than the average job...

The wash alone takes about 2-3 hours, by the time you apply SONAX to all the wheels, wash each wheel, wheel well, tire, and exhaust tip, you're about an hour out... Then comes the crevice cleaning, which takes about another 30 min to an hour, then comes the wash, which takes about another 30 min. Next is drying the car, about 30 min... Then comes clay, about an hour and a half...

Next comes treating the rubber seals and plastic trim peices, about another 30 min or so...

Then comes the cleaner fluid. You can simply apply it and wipe it off very quickly and easily, however I like to really saturate the finish with the clener fluid, not by applying excessive product, but by going over the area a few times until I have a uniform finish. That takes about 2-3 hours.

Then comes the wax, which when applied using the palms of your hands takes about 4-5 hours and with an applicator about an hour.

The matte parts are also treated using totally different products and have to be done completely separate.

Then comes the wheels, takes about 30 min for each wheel to apply cleaner fluid, wipe it off, apply autobahn and wipe it off (I do this after applying wax to all 4 wheels), apply Pneu, and treat the wheel wells. Remember, I'm treating the face of the wheel and brake caliper (If applicable).

Then comes the body jambs, which takes about another 30 minutes to an hour depending on the car. Then comes cleaning the interior and exterior glass, which takes about another 15 minutes, and then the final wipedown and inspection which takes another hour to an hour and a half.

And then there's little things like polishing the exhaust, vacuuming the interior, etc... that take small amounts of time...

Sorry to rant, but it really bugs me why people don't understand that a proper detailing takes so long!
I think the pictures speak for themselves. Great work!
      10-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
SpeedFreak
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Rep
Drives: '88 Porsche 951

Amazing machine right there!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3