BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

10-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
CallMeWonder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Alpine White

How To Properly Wax?

hey guys,

having a nice car I want to take good car of it so I've decided to learn to wax. Before I would used car wash, wheel cleaner, and tire shine. This with a good dry worked great for me but I want to go further.

I bought this wax from Meguiar: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...i_sku=16550254

I used it as directed. (use a towel to get it in there, used microfiber to scrub again)

It still leaves spots behind so I'm kind of uneasy about if I'm doing it right.

Any tips or comments?

(I know its the wrong section but nobody comments in the washing/deatiling/waxing section)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

paint has to be cleaned properly before waxing, for specifics, pm me.

(Clay bar etc)

However, not just any clay bar, choose one that is appropriate to what you need it for.. light contamination, heavy etc..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

You purchased the dollar value meal of wax products(link shows a quick wax). The wax/deatiling forum right below this one has many very valuable threads and members, take some time and follow the threads and tutorials.

Detailing is very rewarding, but you have to be willing to put in some time and money.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
CallMeWonder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
You purchased the dollar value meal of wax products(link shows a quick wax). The wax/deatiling forum right below this one has many very valuable threads and members, take some time and follow the threads and tutorials.

Detailing is very rewarding, but you have to be willing to put in some time and money.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll go look now.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
You can shoot me a PM too. I am a newbie to it, but have done a lot of research and have learned a lot testing on my cars. I remember with my old cars I used to just wash, wax, and call it a day. Now I realize what I was doing and why it was making things worse. Sure, the car would "kind of shine" but there were still spots and contaminants.

Basically, without proper techniques, all you're doing it trapping the contaminants under the wax. Don't worry, it can be fixed. Everyone here can agree on one thing though, the key to keeping a good car isn't all about using the most expensive polish or wax, it's about proper maintenance (i.e. washing)!

I'll give you a brief rundown, you can PM me for more details!

Washing - If you're not going to polish the car, you want a basic wash. Nothing harsh that will remove the wax. Basically a good maintenance wash is what you're looking for. You want at least two washing buckets, preferably with grit guards at the bottom. I went to Lowe's and got two 5 gal paint buckets, store brand, nice and cheap. I ordered grit guards from detailedimage. I also have two mitts, one is sheepskin and the other is a microfiber mitt. I use the microfiber mitt for the upper parts (from the top to about halfway down the sides) and the sheepskin for the rest of the bottom. Fill one bucket with shampoo/water (get a good ratio, not too much shampoo), and one with just water. Rinse the car down first. When you wash, don't go in circles, get the mitt nice and bubbly, then go side to side, don't apply too much pressure. When you've covered a panel (that's usually what I do), rinse in the clean water, then get more suds from the shampoo/water. At some point you'll want to dump the clean water because it'll be mostly suds, then refill that bucket. Keep doing this until the car is completely washed. Then rinse from the top down with a gentle rinse. No need for harsh spraying. Now you want to dry it. DO NOT LET IT AIR DRY. This will cause water spots 90% of the time. I like the big, soft, fluffy microfiber drying towels that many sites sell. They are big and absorb a LOT of water. You can fully dry the car with 2-3 of them. Once it is dry, you are ready for the next step.

I don't wanna hit you with a giant wall of text here (probably too late) so just PM me if you want more info. Your next step would more than likely be a clay bar. After that you'll need to wash again (I know, a lot of washing) because you need to get the leftover pieces of clay off of the car and whatever you pulled loose from the clay. Then you could be ready for some wax, or if you were correcting the paint, this is where you would do your polishing (usually in two steps for the most simple corrections i.e. swirls and very light scratches). After the polish, you would wash/dry AGAIN to remove the leftover polishes, then wax/seal.

A lot of steps involved. This is usually why a full detail on a car can take a couple of days to finish completely. A lot of resources here in this forum. Just shoot a PM with questions. Most people here are very friendly and helpful!
      10-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
_Jono_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT, 2012 GTR, Speed3

http://turbowaxonline.com/index.php?topic=146.0

Buy Turbo Wax Products end of story. The pics will do the talking for you. Thats my Official Mazdaspeed3 Pace car. was built at the end of 2006. Look at the paint. That happend a week ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
You can shoot me a PM too. I am a newbie to it, but have done a lot of research and have learned a lot testing on my cars. I remember with my old cars I used to just wash, wax, and call it a day. Now I realize what I was doing and why it was making things worse. Sure, the car would "kind of shine" but there were still spots and contaminants.

Basically, without proper techniques, all you're doing it trapping the contaminants under the wax. Don't worry, it can be fixed. Everyone here can agree on one thing though, the key to keeping a good car isn't all about using the most expensive polish or wax, it's about proper maintenance (i.e. washing)!

I'll give you a brief rundown, you can PM me for more details!

Washing - If you're not going to polish the car, you want a basic wash. Nothing harsh that will remove the wax. Basically a good maintenance wash is what you're looking for. You want at least two washing buckets, preferably with grit guards at the bottom. I went to Lowe's and got two 5 gal paint buckets, store brand, nice and cheap. I ordered grit guards from detailedimage. I also have two mitts, one is sheepskin and the other is a microfiber mitt. I use the microfiber mitt for the upper parts (from the top to about halfway down the sides) and the sheepskin for the rest of the bottom. Fill one bucket with shampoo/water (get a good ratio, not too much shampoo), and one with just water. Rinse the car down first. When you wash, don't go in circles, get the mitt nice and bubbly, then go side to side, don't apply too much pressure. When you've covered a panel (that's usually what I do), rinse in the clean water, then get more suds from the shampoo/water. At some point you'll want to dump the clean water because it'll be mostly suds, then refill that bucket. Keep doing this until the car is completely washed. Then rinse from the top down with a gentle rinse. No need for harsh spraying. Now you want to dry it. DO NOT LET IT AIR DRY. This will cause water spots 90% of the time. I like the big, soft, fluffy microfiber drying towels that many sites sell. They are big and absorb a LOT of water. You can fully dry the car with 2-3 of them. Once it is dry, you are ready for the next step.

I don't wanna hit you with a giant wall of text here (probably too late) so just PM me if you want more info. Your next step would more than likely be a clay bar. After that you'll need to wash again (I know, a lot of washing) because you need to get the leftover pieces of clay off of the car and whatever you pulled loose from the clay. Then you could be ready for some wax, or if you were correcting the paint, this is where you would do your polishing (usually in two steps for the most simple corrections i.e. swirls and very light scratches). After the polish, you would wash/dry AGAIN to remove the leftover polishes, then wax/seal.

A lot of steps involved. This is usually why a full detail on a car can take a couple of days to finish completely. A lot of resources here in this forum. Just shoot a PM with questions. Most people here are very friendly and helpful!

Good info!!
Appreciate 0