BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Exclamation New spypics of 370z, more revealing.

03-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

03-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think Nissan should be very careful with the 350z in terms of design. They have a perfect roofline and the headlights and rear lights are already great. They just need to be more creative with the bumpers etc.

These new pics show WEIRD headlights, which is very sad to see! But I'll stop myself from saying much until we see official pics or at least better spypics. I judge a lot of cars that turn out better than spypics. The new SL is just one example lol.

In terms of power, I would like to see a 350z replacement that will run with the 335i. OR they should at least offer another high spec model that can run with it but that would involve pricing implications. A lot of people still say a Nissan is a Nissan. Anyway, let's face it - the 335i is still a 3 series and if the 350z is supposed to be Nissans fast sports coupe it should do more to stay in the game!
      03-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

What do you guys think of the 350z? I'm starting to get bored of it, but that blue paint they have is just beautiful! The car doesnt look boring with that paint for some reason. It looks so much more sportier and fresh. I love the interior too. I would change some things but the overall quality and layout is great.
      03-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
What do you guys think of the 350z? I'm starting to get bored of it, but that blue paint they have is just beautiful! The car doesnt look boring with that paint for some reason. It looks so much more sportier and fresh. I love the interior too. I would change some things but the overall quality and layout is great.
The addition of the HR engine was a pretty good late-model cycle boost, compared to what other makers often do. I really think it's a fantastic car. The only thing I'd do is add a little more tire, a little more brake, a little more power, and a bit less weight.

The current exterior design isn't bad, for the 370Z, I think they should lower the car a little bit in general, giving a more sleek, aerodynamic look. I think slightly sharper lines on the backend, and a little more slant in the nose would be good improvements.

The new gauge cluster shown in those pics looks. It looks from the pics like they'll be using a different look on the shifter, simliar to the "roller ball" look Volvo used. I liked it on my S60R, unique look.

I think the biggest positive change they could make would be to drop 150 lbs or so.

With that 3.7l engine, I imagine they could make 300-310 whp. That should be enough for high 12s at 112-114, if they could get weight down to 3100 or so. The car is small enough that 3100 is easy achievable with some creative materials use.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Yeah they need to make it a little bit less of a porker. But I doubt that will happen. If nothing else...then a better tweaked suspension and more power is usually the answer to all the weight.

Design wise, it probably doesn't need much overall. I would like to see some work done on the front grill (very boring currently) and perhaps sex up the lights...they are little plain. I agree the rear and side profile of the current car is great IMO and don't really need to be touched.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
For how long the Z's been out, it's time for a fresh update. Not just a little tweak, imo.

The rear could use some work.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
EJ2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 G37

I think the Z's looked great when they first came out... now that they are about 6 years into the model cycle, they will need a pretty big change with the new generation.

The current headlights and taillights are fairly distinctive, and have evolved well over the refreshes (LEDS, projector xenons, etc). I am a little concerned about those new headlights as well, but I will reserve judgement until I see them on the facelifted/next gen car.

The 3.7L engine should help a fair amount. I don't think it's necessarily accurate to say the 370Z needs to upgrade to compete with the 335i. The drag times are about the same, although it seems like there is a little more variability with the Z - but they have posted in the low and mid 13s with similar traps.

As far as the VQ37VHR engine goes, I certainly enjoy it. But I am concerned about how Nissan engineers would be able to extract much more power out of it. The intake and exhaust are already extremely free-flowing. They could tweak the VVEL to deliver more torque, but that would likely be at the expense of fuel economy, which is obviously an increasing concern.

However, the engine is not what I'm most worried about with the 370Z. I agree with many of the other posts here - It's the weight. Nissan needs to somehow reverse the trend of porkier cars like they have with everything else (G sedan, G coupe, altima, etc). If they are able to tweak the suspension and engine, but deliver a fairly lighter car, that would be a winning formula. IMO, that with greatly revised bodywork but keeping similar lines would help the Z continue on for another 6 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

[QUOTE=hks786;2286439]I think Nissan should be very careful with the 350z in terms of design. They have a perfect roofline and the headlights and rear lights are already great. They just need to be more creative with the bumpers etc.

These new pics show WEIRD headlights, which is very sad to see! But I'll stop myself from saying much until we see official pics or at least better spypics. I judge a lot of cars that turn out better than spypics. The new SL is just one example lol.

QUOTE]

I agree. They really hit the mark with 350z and they should be careful not to screw up what is a pretty classic design.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh yeah +1 about the weight guys.
      03-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I think they could definitely get more power out of the motor. It makes a pretty similar amount of power to the S54, perhaps slightly less based on dynos I've seen, and it's got an extra half liter of displacement.

Coaxing an extra 30-40 hp out of the engine with a revised header, high flow cats, and a more agressive cam, would be pretty easy, I think.

I think dropping the weight should be a big priority. It weighs more than a Corvette, and I believe the engine is slightly smaller (physically) in the Z.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

the bac
k looks a bit like a cayman
Appreciate 0