BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

12-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
AJ@MTL
Rep
Drives: ???

M3 VS Everything in price range

Hello everyone!

im in the market for a new car, my eyes have been on the m3 for a long time, however there are a few other cars i am considering and i would like to get opinions about my options.

any help is appreciated

Cars i am considering:

New:

E92 M3 Coupe
C63 AMG
Porsche Cayman S
2010 Ford GT500
Cadillac CTS-V

Used: (10-30K kilometers)
M5
M6
Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (S)
Aston martin DB8
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
Bluechipper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ@MTL View Post
Hello everyone!

im in the market for a new car, my eyes have been on the m3 for a long time, however there are a few other cars i am considering and i would like to get opinions about my options.

any help is appreciated

Cars i am considering:

New:

E92 M3 Coupe
C63 AMG
Porsche Cayman S
2010 Ford GT500
Cadillac CTS-V

Used: (10-30K kilometers)
M5
M6
Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (S)
Aston martin DB8

Since you are comparing new to used car prices.

How about a used 08 M3 for mid $40k? Cheaper than a new 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
AJ@MTL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechipper View Post
Since you are comparing new to used car prices.

How about a used 08 M3 for mid $40k? Cheaper than a new 335i.
i live in canada, unfortunately the cheapest used m3 price i could find was only 10k less expensive than the new model, which still places it 5 k more expensive than the c63...

if i get the m3, it will be new, im just trying to justify the extra $. is it that much better than the competition, in terms of looks i think it is hands down, however the cayman s is a close contender in that department
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Your cars are kinda all over the map as far as differences go. i guess you would have to decide first if you want a coupe more then a 4 door. that would eliminate some of your choices. then they are all great cars but i must say there are very few in the M3's price range that are as good as it is all around. it does everything well. maybe not as great as some of the ones posted but right up there. it is hard to find a do it all car.

i love mine, for me since i can't afford 3 different cars i chose the M3 bc i wanted a little of everything and after having my M5 i realized i missed the 2 door look of my past M3 so that is why i went with a 2 door car. for me the M3 is my 3 cars on a budget. Sports Car, Luxury, Daily GT car. maybe most won't agree but for me it was the best car for me in that price range and i had alot of your choices listed.

i almost went with the M6 but after driving a friends of mine yes the V10 is awesome but i wanted the agility the M3 has over the M6

i also wanted a true manual so that took out the C63 etc

it really boils down to narrowing down some decisions and that will have less cars on your list. they are all fast, some faster then others. if you don't care about drag racing etc it is hard to beat an M3 for all around great car. plus with some bolt ons the car somes alive. after adding my catless midpipe and muffler combo my car rips now down low and even more up top and sounds amazing

if you like them all then you can just go with the best deal approach and just take the one you can get the best deal on as i think any of those cars would make you happy

H

good luck in your car shopping
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
AJ@MTL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
Your cars are kinda all over the map as far as differences go. i guess you would have to decide first if you want a coupe more then a 4 door. that would eliminate some of your choices. then they are all great cars but i must say there are very few in the M3's price range that are as good as it is all around. it does everything well. maybe not as great as some of the ones posted but right up there. it is hard to find a do it all car.

i love mine, for me since i can't afford 3 different cars i chose the M3 bc i wanted a little of everything and after having my M5 i realized i missed the 2 door look of my past M3 so that is why i went with a 2 door car. for me the M3 is my 3 cars on a budget. Sports Car, Luxury, Daily GT car. maybe most won't agree but for me it was the best car for me in that price range and i had alot of your choices listed.

i almost went with the M6 but after driving a friends of mine yes the V10 is awesome but i wanted the agility the M3 has over the M6

i also wanted a true manual so that took out the C63 etc

it really boils down to narrowing down some decisions and that will have less cars on your list. they are all fast, some faster then others. if you don't care about drag racing etc it is hard to beat an M3 for all around great car. plus with some bolt ons the car somes alive. after adding my catless midpipe and muffler combo my car rips now down low and even more up top and sounds amazing

if you like them all then you can just go with the best deal approach and just take the one you can get the best deal on as i think any of those cars would make you happy

H

good luck in your car shopping
Solid advice, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
chris07
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ@MTL View Post
Solid advice, thanks!
haha....
642-061--XK0-002--642-611
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
BMW750
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 750

I see that the corvette isn't in your list, you might want to look into that. If you want a race car get a corvette, if you want something in between than get a bmw. BMW chassis is much sturdier than corvette. More luxurious and not as rough of a ride.
      12-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
AJ@MTL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW750 View Post
I see that the corvette isn't in your list, you might want to look into that. If you want a race car get a corvette, if you want something in between than get a bmw. BMW chassis is much sturdier than corvette. More luxurious and not as rough of a ride.
the corvette doesnt make a great dd, and the reliability is questionable. otherwise its a great performance car.
Appreciate 0