BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Zertag01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

M3 and M4 Drive to Tail of the Dragon

Hello M power drivers, I would like to plan a drive out to Tail of the Dragon on Saturday December 15 or 16, 2018, looking for M drivers that will like to participate on the drive. I have never driven the route before but my understanding it's an awesome drive. Also tell me of your experience if you have done the drive before. Is this a good time or not..Please let me know if you are interpreted and what day is good.....Casper3377@mail.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Ok so I’m a local to Deals Gap aka the Dragon. Or as local as it it gets I reckon. The Dragon is fun and no doubt a place to visit “IF” something brings you near here to start with. In my opinion, there’s as good or even better roads better suited for the M2, M3 in the area, so have a plan and visit these other roads while here.

Weekends are crowded and full of motorcycles if the suns shining and it’s over 50 degrees. Weekend are also a time when car clubs plan a group visit. Could be a Viperdays event, corvette guys, or model T convention. All can be equally bad or good depending on what you expect. Weekdays are always less crowded.

Believe it or not, a good light rain can be a blessing. The road will be much more open, as well as clean. It’s a state Highway, and has a 30 mph speed limit. A few years ago, the speed limit was 50 mph. Serious fun could be had during that time period. Most of the Dragon is in the state of Tennessee and our governor allocated funds to the local LEO to curb some of the crazies. They are often there, (both crazies & LEO) so it’s a good idea to make a pass or two first to see what’s what. It’ll also give you a chance to acclimate to the switchbacks.

I mostly ride motorcycles on 129, but do visit with my M2C. I’d be happy to meet up if my schedule allows and show the group some other fine roads nearby. I visit this site often but hang out more on the M2 side. Oh ....also there’s a great lodge on the NC end of the Dragon. Topoco Lodge, for a night or two stay, or just lunch or dinner. It’s worth checking out. Reservations recommended for dinner for groups over 6 or so.

Last edited by Trapperj; 12-04-2018 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 4
      12-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Zertag01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Deals Gap aka the Dragon

Hello Trapperj

Interesting information to know, I drive my 2011 M3 coupe E92 mostly on the weekend, I'm always looking for a new road to drive or a good event, I'm a member of BMW CCA car club of MD, VA. We do some local drives sometimes. Let me know of other great road to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

I'm sure you've seen the threads but bunch of us were just at the tail in November and it was great fun. Check the thread called Tail of Dragon 2018 with op boof-m3 or the Facebook page with the same name. There are photos and a couple videos of the action. Another good hotel is a place called Fontana.

I would go but it's work month for me with Christmas coming up lol. I'd like to meet more of you all in the area though. I am in Tyson's. See you around.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

It's a short drive from Atlanta, I go often. I've taken random Friday's off to hit the Dragon and it's pretty quiet before noon. Drive the road from one end to the other to get your confidence up, then hit it a second time before you forget the "course". Like others have said, it's a tiny destination, so plan on exploring some other loop roads in the area. Gatlinburg, the Red-Neck Riviera, is just on the other side of Smokey Nation Park and the drive between the 2 is fantastic.

Keep us posted if you do end up going. I could make a day out of it for sure.