BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #23
xxs65xx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 M3...SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
do some more research cause your basically just wasting money for nothing... practically your paying for just the name
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
do more CORRECT research and you'll find out that you're basically paying for proper R&D and the most reliable pulley kit that has a real warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
do you realize all the pulley's are about the same price?? prob not you just prob assumed Dinan's is more money right?? i would rather pay $50 more for the Dinan one and keep my warranty

seems you need to do some research, bc your paying for a name that does more R&D then any company i know before releasing a product and has been around longer then any other tuner company i know for the M3
all the pulleys are the same! the dealer will never know you have an aftermarket pulley....can you please explain what dinan covers in their warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxs65xx View Post
+1

all the pulleys are the same! the dealer will never know you have an aftermarket pulley....can you please explain what dinan covers in their warranty?
Dinan matches the factory BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
All pulleys are not the same, but a few are very similar.

Dinan's is the highest underdrive percentage of the bunch.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #26
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Quote:
+1

Sorry but that is incorrect.

Some aftermarket pulleys are very easily distinguishable from thier stock conter-parts.

Look we can tell from your sig which side of the fence your on.
We know you run all the Gintani after market stuff and make gobs and gobs of HP, we get it.

What you dont seem to understand is that there are people that want true R&D + Proven gains + Reliability and piece of mind.

The kind of piece of mind that comes from a matched manufacture's warranty and we are willing to "only" get +11 hp from a mod that some other company claims thiers gives +15hp for it.
We are the same people that say "cool" rather than bash when Gintani or some other after market tuner releases a new product that gives you: +100000 hp

Anyway to answer your questions here is what Dinan covers (Copied and pasted from thier web-site) with thier warranty:

"Proof of purchase in the form of a lawful invoice is required.
The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts."

That line in bold is the whole reason i chose Dinan for my ECU tune and Pulley as those things both directly affect my engine...

Hope that answers your question!
Cheers!

-Mike

OLD - 2008 Sparkling Graphite DCT e92
Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
NEW- 2011 Black Saphire 550i Sport (Some cosmetic mods/Dinan mods soon)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #27
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

+1 ^^
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #28
xxs65xx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 M3...SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
All pulleys are not the same, but a few are very similar.

Dinan's is the highest underdrive percentage of the bunch.
all the pulleys for this is engine are very similar, obviously not EXACTLY the same but all provide about the same power...does that higher % mean it provides more power? if it does please show a dyno because a pulley modification on this car will yield between 8-14hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
Sorry but that is incorrect.

Some aftermarket pulleys are very easily distinguishable from thier stock conter-parts
you missed the point....unless your engine detonates which all of you believe will happen, theres no way a tech would stick his nose that far down the engine while doing regular maintenance, they do the job that is required to be done according to the SA thats it, they dont have the time nor do they care as much as you think to investigate everything single thing you do to the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
Look we can tell from your sig which side of the fence your on.
We know you run all the Gintani after market stuff and make gobs and gobs of HP, we get it.

What you dont seem to understand is that there are people that want true R&D + Proven gains + Reliability and piece of mind.
my mods have nothing to with what im saying...i was in the dinan craze also when i had my e46 m3...they have very nice parts no question about it but what makes their R&D so much better than lets say Gintani since you brought them up? have you actually witnessed this R&D?

so if something goes wrong with your engine from installing a dinan part, bmw voids your warranty and dinan takes the tab...as long as it was installed correctly?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #29
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
all the pulleys for this is engine are very similar, obviously not EXACTLY the same but all provide about the same power...does that higher % mean it provides more power? if it does please show a dyno because a pulley modification on this car will yield between 8-14hp
less parasitic drag will free up more hp, but there is a balance that needs to be achieved, but at a level in which cooling, charging or power steering are still within acceptable ranges.

Dinan should be able to provide their own dyno charts, I'm sure they did their homework on this one. However, I would like to see the belt a tad bit longer as installation was very tight on a couple of in-house installs.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #30
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Quote:

you missed the point....unless your engine detonates which all of you believe will happen, theres no way a tech would stick his nose that far down the engine while doing regular maintenance, they do the job that is required to be done according to the SA thats it, they dont have the time nor do they care as much as you think to investigate everything single thing you do to the car

my mods have nothing to with what im saying...i was in the dinan craze also when i had my e46 m3...they have very nice parts no question about it but what makes their R&D so much better than lets say Gintani since you brought them up? have you actually witnessed this R&D?

so if something goes wrong with your engine from installing a dinan part, bmw voids your warranty and dinan takes the tab...as long as it was installed correctly?
1) Cool man i did mis-understand your point, my apologies.

2) As far as your question about BMW voiding thier warranty and Dinan picking up the tab, that is a GREAT question and dead on.

I asked the exact same question several times at several different dealerships and they all said the same thing, that Dinan always stood behind thier products and often even paid for things that were most likely NOT the fault of the Dinan product so in fact Dinan got hosed on the deal but did it.
You have to remember Dinan has cultivated this relationship with BMW they dont say "f-bmw we will do this in our shop" like 99% of the tuners out there Dinan wants to be in the BMW dealerships so they will occasionally take a shot in the junk to keep that relationship amicable! Thats my take on it anyway!

Again sorry bout the mis-understanding im just sensitive to all the Dinan bashing (real or percieved) sometimes!

-Mike

OLD - 2008 Sparkling Graphite DCT e92
Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
NEW- 2011 Black Saphire 550i Sport (Some cosmetic mods/Dinan mods soon)
Appreciate 0