BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

EXXEL Distributions

01-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Bronx Cheer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

DC/NOVA shop for minor scratch and rim damage

Had a recent debacle following the storm. Normally,I change out my own wheels for winter and summer, but after getting one changed I found I had a wheel lock problem. My wheel bolts were crazy over tightened by air gun (I just love VA inspection). When I went to Dealer #1 to have my 18" winters put on and 19" summers taken off, the tech completely stripped my OEM wheel lock key, and then broke their master key, leaving a portion wedged within my lock bolt. In the process of getting the lock bolts removed by ANOTHER dealer (the first refused to do it), I got three scratches on a door, and a two fingernail clipping size gouges on one of the OEM 19s. Can't complain to the 2nd dealer, they gave the standard warning before attempting anything that having to extract the bolts could cause "minor" cosmetic damage. I was desperate with mix matched wheels plus 2 feet of snow, so I gave in and agreed.

I understand that the 19s can in fact be fixed despite the fact that they are forged and not the standard painted alloys that I have had in the past? How? How much? Is it the same putty, sand, and paint technique? Look just as good? Not worth the effort?

Regarding the paint scratches, they show up faint white on my Space Grey, but do not feel deep. I can feel the scratches when I run my nail over them slowly, but they certainly are not bad and don't look to be deep. Looks like a white dogs hair is laying on the surface, and becomes noticable when the light catches it. Can it be fixed? How? Just try buffing first? A clear coat filler, then buff?

In short, I need advice and referrals in the NoVA / DC area for places to get these done. Thanks in advance, all.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

If your first dealer stripped and damaged your wheel locks, they are responsible. I would have made them correct the situation. The only way to fix it is to drill out the lock and they they would also owe you a lock set. I am a bit confused, if a dealer damaged your car in anyway, they are responsible.

In regards to the second dealer, if they warned you about cosmetic damage on the wheel, and you agreed, then nothing you can do. However, the door scratches are another thing. Again, if they damage your car they are responsible.

Which dealers are you going to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx Cheer View Post
Had a recent debacle following the storm. Normally,I change out my own wheels for winter and summer, but after getting one changed I found I had a wheel lock problem. My wheel bolts were crazy over tightened by air gun (I just love VA inspection). When I went to Dealer #1 to have my 18" winters put on and 19" summers taken off, the tech completely stripped my OEM wheel lock key, and then broke their master key, leaving a portion wedged within my lock bolt. In the process of getting the lock bolts removed by ANOTHER dealer (the first refused to do it), I got three scratches on a door, and a two fingernail clipping size gouges on one of the OEM 19s. Can't complain to the 2nd dealer, they gave the standard warning before attempting anything that having to extract the bolts could cause "minor" cosmetic damage. I was desperate with mix matched wheels plus 2 feet of snow, so I gave in and agreed.

I understand that the 19s can in fact be fixed despite the fact that they are forged and not the standard painted alloys that I have had in the past? How? How much? Is it the same putty, sand, and paint technique? Look just as good? Not worth the effort?

Regarding the paint scratches, they show up faint white on my Space Grey, but do not feel deep. I can feel the scratches when I run my nail over them slowly, but they certainly are not bad and don't look to be deep. Looks like a white dogs hair is laying on the surface, and becomes noticable when the light catches it. Can it be fixed? How? Just try buffing first? A clear coat filler, then buff?

In short, I need advice and referrals in the NoVA / DC area for places to get these done. Thanks in advance, all.
      01-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Bronx Cheer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

First dealer was BMW of Fairfax. They caused most of the rim damage, but disclaim all responsibility because my lug and lock bolts were overtightened by someone else, causing the whole problem in the first place. In all honesty, they were right about overtightening. I couldn't budge the normal bolts using a manual lug wrench, and this is what led me to taking the car to a dealer to change out wheels 2-4 in the first place. After stripping the keys, they merely gave up - no offer to drill out (tech advisor told me the only option was to use a torch!). All in all, the service there sucked (had my car a few days, clueless about how to address the situation, not calling me to tell me what was going on), but there is no chance they are going to claim responsibility for any of this without me raising a severe stink about it.

As for dealer #2, Passport. This is where I buy my BMWs and they typically provide good service. Reason I didn't go there initially is that they are far from my house whereas Fairfax is only a few miles. I noticed a third ding on the damaged rim (one with the broken key stuck in it) after they were done, plus noticed the scratches on the door and surrounding the wheel well around that wheel. Regarding the scratches, I cannot even be sure who caused them. My car was returned unwashed from Fairfax (still covered in road salt) and Passport gave it a wash, and I was only able to see the scratches with the cleaned car.

Any thoughts on whether fixable and where to go to get it done?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Im very satisfied with Chuck from leading edge @ Rockville

He has done a workshop with us when I was a e90post...
ref:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=leading+edge

if Chuck cant do your 19" wheels
search "National wheel repair" in this forum.. a bit pricey though

but others may recommend better ones
Appreciate 0