E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E90 Turbo kit (sneak peak)

Closed Thread

04-24-2006, 04:16 AM   #199
edy74
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: CUSTO///M E90 , 640d xdrive

Garage List
2006 318i  [9.00]
Does anybody knows how can i add more power to my 318i?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #200
E90Boy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F33

They're taking way too long to build this turbo, I'll spend my 12k or so on the 335i and it comes with two turbos warrantied. GL if you can get it to be cheaper and work with the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #201
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by edy74
Does anybody knows how can i add more power to my 318i?
Take the engine out and drop in an e36 M3 motor. Or just turbo it.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #202
edy74
Captain
Romania
Rep

Garage List
2006 318i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
Take the engine out and drop in an e36 M3 motor. Or just turbo it.
By adding a turbo, how much power i get? depends on the turbo?
i really need help, i'm new to this kind of stuff .
THX
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #203
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 530i

Bimmerfest was awesome this year. It was nice meeting everyone who attended. We had both our turbo'd M3 and our turbo'd E90 there.

We have recently discovered some software that can tune the factory E90 ECU, so we have temporarily stopped our quest to get the piggybacks to function optimally in all situations. Our tuner is flying to Germany to test and get trained on this new software. If all goes well, we will be tuning the E90 without piggybacks within a month or so.

We've made some slightly modifications to our M3 turbo kit based on feedback we've received from Technik. They now have the modified pieces and are back to tuning. We hope to have some dyno and track results for the M3 next month.

abeaujuin... GReddy does indeed make some nice kits. Prior to developing a product we always look at any and all competitive products to ensure ours will exceed the requirements our competitors based their kits on.

JO3... Yes we can. I've put a hold on the final stages of our piggy-back testing however.

ZenDriver... I'm not familiar with the head gasket price, but we will be developing a thicker head gasket for our stage 2 and 3 kits. We have a lot of oars in the water with many different vehicles and many other projects. I sometimes have to shuffle things around based on priorities which is why the E90 is waiting for the new software. We are now partnered with Amazon.com. I just completed the merchandizing, inventory and accounting integration. Our store-front on amazon is here www.amazon.com/Horsepowerfreaks.

335e90... Yes, we will also be building downpipes and exhaust systems. I'm not sure yet if I will be making downpipes for those that aren't going to run our turbo kits. If there are a lot of people interested, we will definitely do that.

RichP... Yes. On our trip down to Bimmerfest, JR and I figured out a way to get over the last piggy-back issue. We will only implement this if the ECU flash option does not work out.

T7R_Sky... Yes, we will certainly remove the speed limiter. Especially with our stage 3 kit where 135mph may be achieved before the end of the 1/4 mile.

Artz 330... I have no estimated date for the release of the E90 kit. Once our tuner gets back from Germany, we will re-do our project plan and hopefully get a release date some time this summer.

edy74... We currently have no current plans to do a 318.

Thanks for all of the questions. I'll keep the updates coming.

Take care,
Chris.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 11:13 PM   #204
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsepowerFreak
Bimmerfest was awesome this year. It was nice meeting everyone who attended. We had both our turbo'd M3 and our turbo'd E90 there.

We have recently discovered some software that can tune the factory E90 ECU, so we have temporarily stopped our quest to get the piggybacks to function optimally in all situations. Our tuner is flying to Germany to test and get trained on this new software. If all goes well, we will be tuning the E90 without piggybacks within a month or so.

We've made some slightly modifications to our M3 turbo kit based on feedback we've received from Technik. They now have the modified pieces and are back to tuning. We hope to have some dyno and track results for the M3 next month.

abeaujuin... GReddy does indeed make some nice kits. Prior to developing a product we always look at any and all competitive products to ensure ours will exceed the requirements our competitors based their kits on.

JO3... Yes we can. I've put a hold on the final stages of our piggy-back testing however.

ZenDriver... I'm not familiar with the head gasket price, but we will be developing a thicker head gasket for our stage 2 and 3 kits. We have a lot of oars in the water with many different vehicles and many other projects. I sometimes have to shuffle things around based on priorities which is why the E90 is waiting for the new software. We are now partnered with Amazon.com. I just completed the merchandizing, inventory and accounting integration. Our store-front on amazon is here www.amazon.com/Horsepowerfreaks.

335e90... Yes, we will also be building downpipes and exhaust systems. I'm not sure yet if I will be making downpipes for those that aren't going to run our turbo kits. If there are a lot of people interested, we will definitely do that.

RichP... Yes. On our trip down to Bimmerfest, JR and I figured out a way to get over the last piggy-back issue. We will only implement this if the ECU flash option does not work out.

T7R_Sky... Yes, we will certainly remove the speed limiter. Especially with our stage 3 kit where 135mph may be achieved before the end of the 1/4 mile.

Artz 330... I have no estimated date for the release of the E90 kit. Once our tuner gets back from Germany, we will re-do our project plan and hopefully get a release date some time this summer.

Take care,
Chris.
Sounds good, Good Luck!
      04-25-2006, 04:28 AM   #205
edy74
Captain
Romania
Rep

Garage List
2006 318i  [9.00]

Take care,
Chris.[/QUOTE]

THX. Can you teach me what do I have to do , can you give me any hints to add more power to my engine? I do not trust the mechanics from Romania, they are not that updated as you, and I dont want to something wrong to my car..........
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #206
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Boy
They're taking way too long to build this turbo, I'll spend my 12k or so on the 335i and it comes with two turbos warrantied. GL if you can get it to be cheaper and work with the ECU.
TOO long? I rather wait for them to do their R&D PROPERLY and come out with a solid tested product than have them rush out some half-ass ones.

Kudos Chris, looks like the development process is going along nicely
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #207
AddyE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I am not impressed by the numbers of the 335i turbo. Its one saving grace is a flat long torque curve making it faster than other cars putting out 20-40 more hp in a narrower powerband.

Not sure what the price will be but Im sure it will be at least 42k base. 6+ k to get 45 hp to me is not worth it even if it has a warranty. How you add a twin turbo charger to the same size engine and develop 45 more hp is beyond me.

Hopefully Dinan will put out a supercharger kit for the E90, I am leary about voiding the warranty even the HP freaks stuff looks really good. If not I will just wait for the 400 hp m3 and trade up then - the 15k price difference will well be worth it then for 145 more hp.

The e90 is a great car in every category except for horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #208
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyE90
I am not impressed by the numbers of the 335i turbo. Its one saving grace is a flat long torque curve making it faster than other cars putting out 20-40 more hp in a narrower powerband.
To each his own, but I probably do over 90% of my driving in the 1200rpm to 5000rpm range. Honestly, what more could you ask for in a daily driven street car? This is what the 335i is designed for, not a racetrack.

Quote:
Not sure what the price will be but Im sure it will be at least 42k base.
That I agree with.

Quote:
6+ k to get 45 hp to me is not worth it even if it has a warranty. How you add a twin turbo charger to the same size engine and develop 45 more hp is beyond me.
You need to lower the compression ratio when you go forced induction. It isn't as simple as slapping a turbo on the base engine and calling it a day. That's why aftermarket turbo and supercharger kits for the E46 M3 run so little boost (and still frag head gaskets from what I've heard).

On top of all that, BMW has strict emissions regulations to comply with.

Quote:
Hopefully Dinan will put out a supercharger kit for the E90, I am leary about voiding the warranty even the HP freaks stuff looks really good. If not I will just wait for the 400 hp m3 and trade up then - the 15k price difference will well be worth it then for 145 more hp.
The HP freaks turbo kit for the E90 looks very interesing. But you're already over the price of the 335i for that kit and you're most definitely over the price of the 335i with a Dinan kit so I'm not sure what your argument is.

Quote:
The e90 is a great car in every category except for horsepower.
It holds its own pretty well even with 255hp.

Last edited by Garissimo; 04-25-2006 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #209
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

The key is the factory has to be very very conservative. X amount of warranty claims over x amount of units sold = x percent decrease in quartly profit = x perfect in devaluation of the stock, etc blah blah. This isn't the motorsport division.

I'm sure the factory has to engineer in gigantic tolerances and an expected lifetime of 150+ k miles.

The 335 will have 300hp from the factory, but what will it make with an aftermarket chip turning up the wick a bit?

I talked to my dealer about the Dinan warranty ... they stated that any repairs would have to be paid for out of pocket and then a warranty claim submitted to Dinan for reimbursement. The dealer would not orchestrate any of the claims process, the burden was entirely on the customer. Reminds me of a line from a great movie, "Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will." I'm not willing to put myself in the position of having to fight with an aftermarket company (even one as big as Dinan) to pay out a claim on something I've already paid out of pocket and the repair shop has released. That's as worthless to me as crap in a box.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #210
AddyE90
Registered
Rep

Quote:
"The HP freaks turbo kit for the E90 looks very interesing. But you're already over the price of the 335i for that kit and you're most definitely over the price of the 335i with a Dinan kit so I'm not sure what your argument is. "
Im one of those who put some value in having the sleeper edge (not being stock). So a 330i with 350-375 hp (supercharged) would be slightly more attractive than the M3 with 400 hp stock especially considering the price difference between a loaded 330i and a loaded m3 is likely to be 20k+ and most of the Dinan offerings are under that price range. I do not think they will offer it on the e90 though for several years - the M3 and older models seem to be getting all the love at least of late.

If the HP freaks kit only gives 45hp boost its a complete failure and should not be released - its going to need to get to 325-350hp min to be attractive at 10k.

Dont get me wrong I love my E90 and in second gear if you ride it out it does pack more punch in acel than 255 hp suggests but I dislike having to push my car that hard to slightly beat cars that you feel like having paid 46k you shouldnt have to try to walk away from.

I like the pipes on the 335, I just dont think 6-8k for 45hp is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #211
T7R_Sky
"I know you know that I know you know..."
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E90 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [0.00]
You know what... after reading some of the other posts on the forum, I happened to remember how the 3 series is known i part for its near 50 50 weight distribution. And I was just wondering if the installation of the turbo charger would dramatically change this and if it would have any effect on handling or anything. Of course I may be completely incorrect (since I actually dont know anything about how Turbos effect stuff) but it was just a thought. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 12:40 AM   #212
CSL
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Their needs to be one thing that is understood. A NA bmw engine was designed not to be force induced. Although it can be a complete bolt on and run perfectly safe and fine it was cause excessive wear and tear in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 03:33 AM   #213
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
-No, turbocharging a car does not add 1000pds of extra weight in the front.

-Its not just the "BMW"s naturally aspirated engines that is not designed to handle forced induction in the first place. Thats just for any N/A engines out there. Wear & Tear is OBVIOUS. you don't even need to mention that. The engine wears out from its normal form from the factory. Add more power to the stock block, it obviously increases wear and tear. BMW motor isn't glass made motor either. Im sure it can handle some more whp/wtq over its stock numbers, but yes limitation is there. If you are going heavy whp/wtq increase, thats why most people upgrade their internals. Any motor can be always upgraded to handle the extra power from forced induction. Honda's little 1.6 liters can be upgraded to handle 600whp. Also, most of the motors out there face their "Weak spot" when handling extra power. Sometimes, just by upgrading those parts can lead to gradual increase in safety of the motor and extra power output.

I really think its about time that everyone stop bringing out common sense, and unnecessary comments. its wasting this thread. If you got a basic question regarding F/I, make a thread in performance forum. This thread is for status on a turbo kit for E90.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 03:41 AM   #214
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I like the pipes on the 335, I just dont think 6-8k for 45hp is worth it.
You tell me how to get extra 45 horsepower and 75torque with:

-Factory warranty still backing you up
-Linear power band and smooth output that almost makes you feel like there is no turbo, yet just N/A.
-Flat, steady torque curve that brings you 300tq.

for 6~8grand. Im all ears.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #215
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
You tell me how to get extra 45 horsepower and 75torque with:

-Factory warranty still backing you up
-Linear power band and smooth output that almost makes you feel like there is no turbo, yet just N/A.
-Flat, steady torque curve that brings you 300tq.

for 6~8grand. Im all ears.
- Electric Turbo purchased on Ebay
- A Tornado
- And an Electronic Blow off Valve that makes the Pshhhhhh sound when you let go of the gas.

All under $1000.00 Should give you like 450 HP to the wheels.

04-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #216
AddyE90
Registered
Rep

Stepping from 325i to 330i you get

+40 HP
+35 Torque

Bigger tires NA ~1000
Better stereo $1200
Adaptive Headlights $800
Chrome trim NA

For $5700

Removing the cost of the other upgrades your getting the 40 HP for about 2700 bucks

Now granted I dont know what other features the 335i will have vs the 330i (2 door, nice pipes) but 6-8 k isnt a value there - the 330i is a value over the 325i if you are looking for HP.

If the 335i obviously cannot be priced the same as the 330i - its going to be the car inbetween the 330 and m3. I would be much happier to see the 330i with 300 hp and the 335 with 350 - the 335i gets BMW to a hp point they should be with in the 330i model given the new offering from lexus and audi.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #217
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
what the hell.... what does 325i and 330i have to do with this.

Don't you understand basic fundamentals? This is COUPE. Obviously its priced higher.
And we are talking about engine bay area with bi-turbo application.
not your average N/A bmw motor. Really, is it that hard to understand for you?

We are talking about performance aspect, not a value aspect.
You need value, go visit japanese dealership.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #218
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

I don't mean to sound like a jerk or be disrespectful....

But is there really a point to this project anymore? Now that you can buy a TT setup from BMW direct.

Maybe the guys working on this should start focusing on tuning the 335i when it comes out, I think it would be a much easier and more worthwhile project to work on.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #219
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
what the hell.... what does 325i and 330i have to do with this.

Don't you understand basic fundamentals? This is COUPE. Obviously its priced higher.
And we are talking about engine bay area with bi-turbo application.
not your average N/A bmw motor. Really, is it that hard to understand for you?

We are talking about performance aspect, not a value aspect.
You need value, go visit japanese dealership.
I dont think i would buy a bmw with a turbo. Plus what is like like the first time in how many years they are turboing a gasoline engine. I mean they have experiences with turbo deisel but thats a bit different. I think I read some where they turned to Alpina for help with the Turbo engine??? .. I would wait a year or so to see if people are having issues with the new setup and how reliable its going to be. I know theres factory warranty but still..
      04-28-2006, 12:47 AM   #220
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz 330
I dont think i would buy a bmw with a turbo. Plus what is like like the first time in how many years they are turboing a gasoline engine. I mean they have experiences with turbo deisel but thats a bit different. I think I read some where they turned to Alpina for help with the Turbo engine??? .. I would wait a year or so to see if people are having issues with the new setup and how reliable its going to be. I know theres factory warranty but still..
Well exactly. no one knows.
What do we know though? BMW isn't stupid enuogh to release a product that'll cause so much trouble.

lets wait and see.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread