BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
USCm3
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 ZCP

Help! What exhaust do I get?

Hi Friends!

I currently have a MPE v1 on my M3 and the sound is great, but I want something louder. I would just throw on the AA test pipes but I would need to tune it and dont want to have to deal with any warranty issues (car is covered for another 50k miles).

Any ideas on something that is louder/more aggressive than the MPE but not 2k+ in price?

Thank you for the advice, loving the e9x m3 community so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 06:22 AM   #2
MP0W3RD
BMWCCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3 Sedan

Garage List
1997 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have the Supersprint Race exhaust and it's great. Got it on Sale for less than $2K from TurnerMotorSports.

Amazing sound.
      01-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Anything you get is going to be louder than any MPE you would have installed (v1 or v2).

You didn't specify what TYPE of loudness you wanted, so any of the cheap brands will get you obnoxious loud - Megan, Agency, MagnaFlow, Borla, Remus.

The more 'refined' type of loudness will get you there albeit with more price like - SuperSprint, Akropovic, Miesterschaft, Eisenmann.

To be clear, you might find the 'refined' exhausts not loud enough either. A lot of these don't sound good until you put either an X-pipe or test pipes onto them, then they really open up and are amazing. The obnoxious loud will just be straight loud, no matter what you do. I've tested out 4 of the brands above (2 cheap, 2 expensive) and in various combinations (X-pipe vs. Test pipe) and it really depends on your preference.

Literally DOZENS of threads and videos on the forums to take a look and listen to which you think sounds good. No, it's not 1:1 quality, but they will get you in the ballpark of what tone you prefer.

-Duke
Appreciate 2
UBERV8528.00
      01-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
USCm3
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 ZCP

thanks for the replies duke and mpow3red.

I'm very tempted to just say screw it and add the Active autowerke test pipes to my MPEv1. especially considering the test pipes are just a couple hundred bucks.

I'm no longer in California so emissions is not an issue. I dont think the techs would be checking out the test pipes, but i'm assuming that any tune I do would immediately throw off red flags?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAlexandria View Post
Anything you get is going to be louder than any MPE you would have installed (v1 or v2).

You didn't specify what TYPE of loudness you wanted, so any of the cheap brands will get you obnoxious loud - Megan, Agency, MagnaFlow, Borla, Remus.

The more 'refined' type of loudness will get you there albeit with more price like - SuperSprint, Akropovic, Miesterschaft, Eisenmann.

To be clear, you might find the 'refined' exhausts not loud enough either. A lot of these don't sound good until you put either an X-pipe or test pipes onto them, then they really open up and are amazing. The obnoxious loud will just be straight loud, no matter what you do. I've tested out 4 of the brands above (2 cheap, 2 expensive) and in various combinations (X-pipe vs. Test pipe) and it really depends on your preference.

Literally DOZENS of threads and videos on the forums to take a look and listen to which you think sounds good. No, it's not 1:1 quality, but they will get you in the ballpark of what tone you prefer.

-Duke
I just got an Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust on my E93 a couple of days ago and as you mentioned, it's not that loud but it has a very deep and quality sound, love it. The stock exhaust sounded like a Honda Civic.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Corsa
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCm3 View Post
thanks for the replies duke and mpow3red.

I'm very tempted to just say screw it and add the Active autowerke test pipes to my MPEv1. especially considering the test pipes are just a couple hundred bucks.

I'm no longer in California so emissions is not an issue. I dont think the techs would be checking out the test pipes, but i'm assuming that any tune I do would immediately throw off red flags?
What techs are going to be looking for a tune? The same ones that will claim test pipes is what blew up your engine if you make a warranty claim?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Borla ATAK is my pick. Its loud and it sounds awesome. No drone either.
      01-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #9
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:

I disagree with the generalization that all cheap exhausts are obnoxious & loud. I just helped a friend install the Megan catback on his E92 M3 and it's actually very refined and not loud at all. It's borderline too quiet but it should get louder once he does an X-Pipe. It's a lot deeper than my Meisterschaft GT and honestly a great bang for the buck at $600.

Last edited by wootloops; 01-20-2021 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Correct Megan sounds like stock. I couldn't tell a difference in the car between the two, outside the car Megan sounded slightly louder. I'd find a market deal on a used something locally. If you decide you don't like it, re-sell it and move on with minimum financial exposure. Personally the akrapovic to me is tough to beat for lots of reasons some of which is subjective, some of which isn't.
      01-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #11
EdoApero
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Dinan Axleback with Dinan X-Pipe hands down best sounding combo ever
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #12
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
I disagree with the generalization that all cheap exhausts are obnoxious & loud. I just helped a friend install the Megan catback on his E92 M3 and it's actually very refined and not loud at all. It's borderline too quiet but it should get louder once he does an X-Pipe. It's a lot deeper than my Meisterschaft GT and honestly a great bang for the buck at $600.
Yeah, one of the main reasons I put Megan in the top category was more 'cheaper' than louder, so that's my bad. The one Megan I did hear they had straight pipes on it (NOT TEST PIPES) and sounded dumb loud. With that being said, it's a cheap way to go for some extra sound. I also missed a bunch of others....Macht Schnell, the new (and old) RPI exhaust/X-pipe, Challenge, etc. I'm personally running a cheaper Remus full race but with an RKP X-Pipe Sport. It's a loud deep rumble but with high exotic notes at times. Not everyone's taste and if I had to invest again I'd probably go with an Akropovic or some custom fab - both of those I think are perfect with any X-pipes on the market right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdoApero View Post
Dinan Axleback with Dinan X-Pipe hands down best sounding combo ever
My car started off with this setup (albeit a different X-pipe) and for as long as I live I will always shit on Dinan. Hated the tone, hated the guy spent so much on it, and ultimately felt like a gimmick of an exhaust. It is neither loud, nor overly tonal in the 'exotic' realm. I realize they are all subjective, but it honestly sounded like a 2 pipe exhaust mod with a nice X-pipe on it. I specifically didn't include Dinan for multiple reasons. I understand it's a lot of peoples thing, but will never be mine.

-Duke

Last edited by DukeofAlexandria; 01-20-2021 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      01-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #13
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Yeah, one of the main reasons I put Megan in the top category was more 'cheaper' than louder, so that's my bad. The one Megan I did hear they had straight pipes on it (NOT TEST PIPES) and sounded dumb loud. With that being said, it's a cheap way to go for some extra sound.
Could definitely see that and for what it's worth the Megan for the money seemed to be a quality piece and saved a little weight over stock. In an effort to make mine louder I paired it with a cheap resonated x pipe and it sounded shit.. the whole setup was on my car for less than a day before I pulled it and scrapped the whole thing.
      01-20-2021, 10:43 PM   #14
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Could definitely see that and for what it's worth the Megan for the money seemed to be a quality piece and saved a little weight over stock. In an effort to make mine louder I paired it with a cheap resonated x pipe and it sounded shit.. the whole setup was on my car for less than a day before I pulled it and scrapped the whole thing.
Yeah, that's fair. The guy who had straight pipes on it basically had one LONG X-pipe all the way back to the Megan catback. It was a little insane when he told me about it, but he had some dudes out in Texas custom fab him up some sort of straight pipe from the headers all the way back. Hence why it was obnoxious loud.

P.S. - Sorry, I had to adjust my previous item, appreciate you responding though hah! :-)

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 05:07 AM   #15
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Sell that shit get a Meisterschaft GT2, sounds perfect with the stock X pipe.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Like many others, I tried a few different combos. Borla catback with stock x-pipe sounded good but wasn’t loud enough for me. Borla + Remus x pipe (deleted secondary cars and resonator) was too loud and sounded like shit. Switched the Borla for a Remus catback but that was way too quiet.

I eventually settled on, and loved, the Borla catback with a modified stock x-pipe which had gutted secondary cats but kept the resonators. Never touched the primary cats. Sound level and tone were perfect for me. Teamed with an Eventuri plenum and the car sounded absolutely amazing. By far the best sounding car I have ever owned.
Appreciate 0