BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #23
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Pulling the water pump won't drain the cooling system since it is mounted higher than the bottom. I have not changed mine yet so I don't know how much to change just the pump. I think the whole system is about 3 gallons, so my guess is maybe 2.
It is a little less messy if one drains the radiator. I didn't drain the block as the plugs are hard access.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #24
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Ok, so I'll probably get 3 gallons to have on hand to make sure it's topped off.

Might be a good idea to flush the entire cooling system when approaching 100k miles anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 05:06 AM   #25
drrust
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Ok, so I'll probably get 3 gallons to have on hand to make sure it's topped off.

Might be a good idea to flush the entire cooling system when approaching 100k miles anyway.
Remember it doesn't go in straight it is supposed to be a 50/50 mix with water. I with one gallon of coolant and the small thermostat replacement size, I was able to drain the radiator and refill, and have a bit leftover.

One item to consider is the radiator drain plug. It's made of plastic. I think there are metal ones available. Not necessary, but if you want to change it you can.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #26
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
Quote:

Remember it doesn't go in straight it is supposed to be a 50/50 mix with water. I with one gallon of coolant and the small thermostat replacement size, I was able to drain the radiator and refill, and have a bit leftover.

One item to consider is the radiator drain plug. It's made of plastic. I think there are metal ones available. Not necessary, but if you want to change it you can.
Indeed, I saw those metal drain plugs and bleeder bolts, and wondering/contemplating whether to install those.

What is the benefit of a metal drain plug? Why did BMW engineer plastic ones?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #27
drrust
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Indeed, I saw those metal drain plugs and bleeder bolts, and wondering/contemplating whether to install those.

What is the benefit of a metal drain plug? Why did BMW engineer plastic ones?
The plastic ones are adequate for what the do. It's not that the are a common failure item, from what I had seen. It seems that people fear that they will get brittle and break when taking them out.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2020, 09:45 PM   #28
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
This kit looks awesome. Does the included water pump have a plastic or metal impaler??
Metal
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #29
ohhgourami
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
The plastic ones are adequate for what the do. It's not that the are a common failure item, from what I had seen. It seems that people fear that they will get brittle and break when taking them out.
I highly recommend replacing the bleeder screw with a metal one. I had the plastic screw head shear off while bleeding the air. Extracting that thing was a nightmare.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 12:37 AM   #30
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
Quote:
I highly recommend replacing the bleeder screw with a metal one. I had the plastic screw head shear off while bleeding the air. Extracting that thing was a nightmare.
I actually already ordered a brass one, and literally just arrived yesterday. Thank you for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #31
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Cut a piece of cardboard to tape to the radiator for protection (assuming you pulled the fan assembly out.