BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
buzzybee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, e92 335i, f82 m4

Help...Stripped oil pan

So was doing an oil change today and had a dreadful moment when loosening the oil pan bolt on the rear sump.
So yup my oil pan is stripped. Turned out to be a positive since this is pretty much forcing me to get my rod bearings taken care of as well.

Planning to take it to MRF on wednesday but need some help on what to do until then. My car is currently on my quickjack with no oil and Im planning on towing it to MRF. Should I fill the car up w fresh oil? So that I can still move my car to the driveway and freely put it in neutral for the tow.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

wait until the tow truck comes, then put it in neutral and roll it.
      01-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #3
buzzybee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
wait until the tow truck comes, then put it in neutral and roll it.
forgot to mention - its DCT. Any way to out DCT in neutral without starting the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:08 PM   #4
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

See the manual!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:47 PM   #5
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 1
Space Fox1042.00
      01-16-2021, 09:53 PM   #6
buzzybee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
thanks! is this something I can just leave or will i have to go w the tow truck to do it again to unload the car
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Quote:
thanks! is this something I can just leave or will i have to go w the tow truck to do it again to unload the car
You can leave it in neutral.
The flatbed driver will cinch the car down with straps.
When you get it to the shop, they are going to need it to be in neutral as well,
...and tape a note to the steering wheel that says
"NO OIL! DO NOT START ENGINE!!!l"

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 5
Biginboca3763.50
Scharbag2620.50
Idfkman473.00
Space Fox1042.00
      01-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #8
djsilverjohnson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Do as you will, but if it was me I'd at least put one of those "rubber expansion plugs" in it and put some oil in, just in case someone, somewhere, somehow hits the wrong button..., You can purchase oversized self-tapping drain plugs, but that would depend on whether and how you expect to repair the pan. There are also repair methods available for installing helicoils, time-serts, etc.
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      01-18-2021, 12:06 AM   #9
buzzybee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilverjohnson View Post
Do as you will, but if it was me I'd at least put one of those "rubber expansion plugs" in it and put some oil in, just in case someone, somewhere, somehow hits the wrong button..., You can purchase oversized self-tapping drain plugs, but that would depend on whether and how you expect to repair the pan. There are also repair methods available for installing helicoils, time-serts, etc.
Yup, Malek @ MRF will be installing time-serts while the pan is off the car for rod bearings. Think I might disconnect the battery to prevent any accidental starts.
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      01-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #10
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

I would put the note on the wheel and disconnect the battery. worse case the note falls off and they start the car. or just dump the old oil back in (after you filter it of course). they're only gonna drive it on and off the truck.
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      01-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #11
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Quote:
I agree I would put something in just in case someone starts it, at a minimum you could put the old drain plug in and just duct tape it temporarily. Usually with a stripped plug it still will go in and oil will drip out slowly. With the tape to hold it there, that should be enough to get you on the tow truck and safety net in case someone starts it as there will be oil in the engine.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #12
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
I've had 5 E9X M3's over the years and never knew this.. Thank you!
Appreciate 2
Davisca4552207.50
Space Fox1042.00
      01-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #13
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yup, Malek @ MRF will be installing time-serts while the pan is off the car for rod bearings. Think I might disconnect the battery to prevent any accidental starts.
Time serts work awesome! Had to do it. Speaking of... I recently just got ran into and am a total loss. Will post about it in a few.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #14
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I second the suggestion to disconnect battery.

Blue tape on the hood and write do not start, same on steering wheel, and tape up the start button.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #15
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So was doing an oil change today and had a dreadful moment when loosening the oil pan bolt on the rear sump.
So yup my oil pan is stripped. Turned out to be a positive since this is pretty much forcing me to get my rod bearings taken care of as well.

Planning to take it to MRF on wednesday but need some help on what to do until then. My car is currently on my quickjack with no oil and Im planning on towing it to MRF. Should I fill the car up w fresh oil? So that I can still move my car to the driveway and freely put it in neutral for the tow.
How did everything go?
Get it on and off the tow truck ok?
And, out of morbid curiosity, how'd the old rod bearings look?

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #16
buzzybee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How did everything go?
Tow truck driver ended up starting the car when they got it to MRF since he couldnt get it to neutral. Didn't want to disconnect my battery since I wanted my dashcam to be active in case something bad happened.

Luckily, MRF took good care of it providing 2 oil flushes free of charge. Malek said internals are fine and look extremely well taken care of. I'll attach a pic of my bearings
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #17
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How did everything go?
Tow truck driver ended up starting the car when they got it to MRF since he couldnt get it to neutral. Didn't want to disconnect my battery since I wanted my dashcam to be active in case something bad happened.

Luckily, MRF took good care of it providing 2 oil flushes free of charge. Malek said internals are fine and look extremely well taken care of. I'll attach a pic of my bearings
Ok, talk me off the ledge here... the tow truck driver started it, so it had oil in it....right?

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      02-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #18
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok, talk me off the ledge here... the tow truck driver started it, so it had oil in it....right?
Did he start it and drive it? Or just start it to put it in N? How long did it run? Did it have oil?

It is likely fine. Engines at idle produce very minimal stresses on rotating parts. We used to do "MotorBlast" fundraisers in engineering. Drain the oil and coolant, start the pig, bring the revs to ~3000-4000RPM and start a timer. Damn things would last minutes. Whoever bet closest to the time won the 50/50.

I would still nut punch the tow truck driver just cause.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 2
Space Fox1042.00
Davisca4552207.50
      02-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #19
buzzybee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How did everything go?

Nope, I left it draining for about 2-3 days until I plugged the pan and had it towed.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:10 PM   #20
buzzybee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
Did he start it and drive it? Or just start it to put it in N? How long did it run? Did it have oil?

It is likely fine. Engines at idle produce very minimal stresses on rotating parts. We used to do "MotorBlast" fundraisers in engineering. Drain the oil and coolant, start the pig, bring the revs to ~3000-4000RPM and start a timer. Damn things would last minutes. Whoever bet closest to the time won the 50/50.

Cheers,
No idea, wasnt there. I live around 2 hours away from MRF so I just stayed home. Sent Malek a couple of texts and calls letting him know the ETA but got no response. Around 10-20 min after the tow truck got there Malek texted me back telling me what happened. Apparently, tow truck got there and started unloading without letting Malek know. No idea how long it was on but Malek said he did come out and stop him before it was fully off the truck.
Was pissed but Malek did assure me everythings fine and no damage so Im over it. I did however file a claim w/ AAA and im letting that play out.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 03:08 PM   #21
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

wow

hopefully nothing happens to the motor down the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #22
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:

Cheers,
No idea, wasnt there. I live around 2 hours away from MRF so I just stayed home. Sent Malek a couple of texts and calls letting him know the ETA but got no response. Around 10-20 min after the tow truck got there Malek texted me back telling me what happened. Apparently, tow truck got there and started unloading without letting Malek know. No idea how long it was on but Malek said he did come out and stop him before it was fully off the truck.
Was pissed but Malek did assure me everythings fine and no damage so Im over it. I did however file a claim w/ AAA and im letting that play out.
Did the tow truck driver ignore the "Don't Start Engine, No Oil!" note?
Because if he did, I'm with Sharbag, that person is owed a serious...something bad.
I don't know exactly what, but something really, really painful.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2620.50