BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #45
RevFreak14
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

That is excessive at best. Even if they include the DCT, $5100 is excessive.
99 Lexus GS400 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #46
Asiarush
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 488 GTB

I wouldnt have a bmw (any of them) without warranty.
a couple of years ago i had a 2005 645I and I bought the extended warranty, that was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made when I bought the car, comes 55k miles my car was in the shop so many times that I eventually gave up and traded it for an 07 model.
I now have an M3 2010 and my wife drives 335I 2009, both CPO's.
I actually just got my M3 last week after my 07 650I ran out of warranty.
if you get an extended warranty get FULL coverage, if its not from BMW, they have another company they work with (I forgot their name but is you ask BMW they will tell you) and they covered everything on my car, it is pricey but believe me, you will not regret it when your bill will be 6500 fro some stupid fix.
I wont gamble on this, but I will let the car go and lease a new one if I was you ! you payment different will not be that far from just buying this one anyway !
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #47
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Just lease a new car

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #48
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

Any updates to this thread ? I just purchased a 2008 e93 m3 and I'm looking to get the BMW gold warranty.

They are quoting me 3400. I'm most concerned about the DCT tranny and convertible hardtop. Despite other posts I think most of the tranny is covered except for the clutch which is wear and tear. And the top motor is covered.

Thoughts ?

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #49
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
Any updates to this thread ? I just purchased a 2008 e93 m3 and I'm looking to get the BMW gold warranty.

They are quoting me 3400. I'm most concerned about the DCT tranny and convertible hardtop. Despite other posts I think most of the tranny is covered except for the clutch which is wear and tear. And the top motor is covered.

Thoughts ?

Jeff
Call Steve Thomas. This is where I got mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #50
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
+1 it is not worth it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
If the DCT and Nav are exculuded, that's a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #51
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
waste of money. Shop around and try Easy Care
+1

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #52
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL in Florida View Post
I am coming to the end of my lease, and was thinking of buying the car out and adding an extended warranty. My car is a 2008 M3 Convertible DCT, fully loaded except has 18" wheels. Has 49K miles, but residual is only $37000.

Got a quote for the BMW Extended Vehicle Protection GOLD

Exclusions are:
DCT Clutch Assembly
Radio,CD,Navigation
Convertible Top (except electronics)
Air and Water Leaks
Body parts (mirror, body gaskets, wind or body noise, rust, corrosion)
Wear and Tear Items (including suspension parts and components)

$5100 !?

can add coverage for Nav/CD/Radio for extra $600.

Am I right in thinking this price is out of line?

Any advice appreciated..
thanks in advance!
I opt out of the BMW extended warranty cause dealer extended warranties are always over priced. The BMW dealership actually gave me some advice when shopping for an extended warranty:

1. Make sure you can get it repaired at a BMW dealership, not a second rate shop
2. Make sure they use new parts to fix the problem, not "like" new, or used, but new, from BMW, & not aftermarket like Autozone
3. Make sure you get coverage that secures practically the whole car...that would include transmission and anything electrical.

I paid like $5k for mine and its for a 50k/5yr extended warranty but my car had 80k on it at the time through a private company. I havent had to use it yet (knock on wood) but its a $100 deductible every time you bring it in. Not bad considering a check up from BMW maybe $120+. So my car is good until 130k miles which is fine to me. I ran one of my BMW's to 183k and it ran like new before I got rear ended in LA so I know these cars will last...and I beat the hell out of that 318is! It didn't matter what I did, it would not die! But that was my 318is and not my M3...which is what I have the warranty on since I hear the DCT and SMG trannys can be VERY costly! I'm hoping I don't have to use it but it does state in my contract that all service items MUST be kept up to date on the particular part in question, if not, the warranty will not cover the cost. So in a sense...I can't do any work myself...which breaks my heart cause im a DIY'er. It may seem pricey but, yeah, well work it I think when time comes to use it

Last edited by Magnetic Fusion; 04-14-2012 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #53
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Why would anyone prepay $5,100 in repairs they may or may not need in the specific time period of years 3 through 6 (or 4 through 6)? Assuming you don't hit the mileage limit first anyway. Seems like an awful waste of money, I'd much rather just put that $5,100 away somewhere and take the chance that there wont be that much of repairs during the specific time period that the warranty covers. Extended warranties are the biggest money makers of all for car dealers.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #54
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I went the with 7/100 powertrain plus warranty on mine. I really am just concerned about catastrophic failure of something major (i.e. massive engine, transmission, etc repairs costing thousands $$).

Not worth it imo for the extra gold/platinum coverage as those extra items would not concern me as much if they broke. I could always take it to a local shop for quick repair.

Also, I think there is some misinformation in here about what is covered by the BMW extended warranties. I believe the DCT transmission WILL be covered, just not the clutch assemblies which are considered wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #55
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Why would anyone prepay $5,100 in repairs they may or may not need in the specific time period of years 3 through 6 (or 4 through 6)? Assuming you don't hit the mileage limit first anyway. Seems like an awful waste of money, I'd much rather just put that $5,100 away somewhere and take the chance that there wont be that much of repairs during the specific time period that the warranty covers. Extended warranties are the biggest money makers of all for car dealers.
Why do have to pay for automotive insurance, health insurance, home owners insurance? Its called "Just In Case"
      04-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #56
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion View Post
Why do have to pay for automotive insurance, health insurance, home owners insurance? Its called "Just In Case"
Terrible analogy, auto insurance is mandatory by law (at least in CA), homeowners insurance is mandatory if you have a mortgage, and also people generally buy homeowners and health insurance to protect against the five, six and God-forbid seven-figure catastrophic claims.

In this case, all you are doing is prepaying $5,100 today for parts and service work for years 4 through 6 of the vehicles life that you will probably never even need. It's an incredibly poor financial decision and its no wonder the dealers' finance managers salivate over the prospect of an extended warrany sale. But for those who can't sleep at night due to the prospect of a complete engine blow-up in years 4 through 6, pay the $5,100 today if it helps you sleep better.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #57
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Terrible analogy, auto insurance is mandatory by law (at least in CA), homeowners insurance is mandatory if you have a mortgage, and also people generally buy homeowners and health insurance to protect against the five, six and God-forbid seven-figure catastrophic claims.

In this case, all you are doing is prepaying $5,100 today for parts and service work for years 4 through 6 of the vehicles life that you will probably never even need. It's an incredibly poor financial decision and its no wonder the dealers' finance managers salivate over the prospect of an extended warrany sale. But for those who can't sleep at night due to the prospect of a complete engine blow-up in years 4 through 6, pay the $5,100 today if it helps you sleep better.
Considering I pay close to $4500 a year in insurance and how much cost of parts and labor is...its well worth it...and the analogy fits...like I said...just in case. Do you get insurance money back if nothing goes wrong with your car in the year...NO, you should so you are just giving away hard earned money. I haven't used medical insurance since i was a kid...like 25 years ago, yet I pay, do I get any of that money back...hell no. Home owners, same thing...my house got robbed and I was able to recover $7300 worth of items...I mean...if you dont want to pay, you dont have to pay for the warranty. Call it a waste of money...I disagree....some people would say buying a BMW is a waste of money considering its a car with 4 wheels and a steering wheel, like every other car out there...but we have options and I'm opting not to pay $10k for a DCT tranny if it decides to die on my tomorrow. If you look at it that way...I will have saved $5k....This is the first car I've bought one for...i work on my own cars and I still have my 95 M3 that I do all my own work on...runs like brand new and its ODB I, super simple to work on....these new rides, not so easy with the mass electronics involved. I can read schematics really well, so yeah...I might be able to fix something myself but I'm on the road 100% and don't have my garage with me to get under my car if something goes wrong...so in your eyes, waste of money...in my eyes, I waste money on mandatory insurance so i might as waste money on something that I actually might benefit from down the road. If not, well who cares...I'd rather pay it over time and 50k miles then have to pay $4500 a year in car insurance....I can buy a new extended warranty every freaking year at that rate. And it drops down in 2 months....THANKFULLY!!!!
      04-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #58
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion View Post
Considering I pay close to $4500 a year in insurance and how much cost of parts and labor is...its well worth it...and the analogy fits...like I said...just in case. Do you get insurance money back if nothing goes wrong with your car in the year...NO, you should so you are just giving away hard earned money. I haven't used medical insurance since i was a kid...like 25 years ago, yet I pay, do I get any of that money back...hell no. Home owners, same thing...my house got robbed and I was able to recover $7300 worth of items...I mean...if you dont want to pay, you dont have to pay for the warranty. Call it a waste of money...I disagree....some people would say buying a BMW is a waste of money considering its a car with 4 wheels and a steering wheel, like every other car out there...but we have options and I'm opting not to pay $10k for a DCT tranny if it decides to die on my tomorrow. If you look at it that way...I will have saved $5k....This is the first car I've bought one for...i work on my own cars and I still have my 95 M3 that I do all my own work on...runs like brand new and its ODB I, super simple to work on....these new rides, not so easy with the mass electronics involved. I can read schematics really well, so yeah...I might be able to fix something myself but I'm on the road 100% and don't have my garage with me to get under my car if something goes wrong...so in your eyes, waste of money...in my eyes, I waste money on mandatory insurance so i might as waste money on something that I actually might benefit from down the road. If not, well who cares...I'd rather pay it over time and 50k miles then have to pay $4500 a year in car insurance....I can buy a new extended warranty every freaking year at that rate. And it drops down in 2 months....THANKFULLY!!!!
What does your $4,500 insurance bill have to do with anything regarding the economic decision of an extended warranty. And just to be clear, we are talking about only an extended warranty, correct? Not an extended maintenance plan, which is a separate product. Extended Warranty isn't covering normal, required service intervals, like brakes, level 1 and 2 inspections, etc., etc. I think I would actually consider an extended maintenance plan before an extended warranty.

So yea, I don't see how it makes much sense to pay $5,100 up front to offset the potential risk of something breaking that might be covered under warrany in the specific time period of years 4 through 6 (again assuming you don't hit mileage limits first), and of course it better be a repair that would cost more than the $5,100 that was paid in the first place.

But then again maybe I'm just a seat-of-your-pants, wild-eyed risk taker !
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #59
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post

Thoughts ?

Jeff
PM me your e-mail address. I've done extensive research on aftermarket warranties and I'm purchasing one for my 08 M3 next week. I have about 7 warranty companies all spelled out with variation in price and ranked in order from most for your money to most expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #60
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
What does your $4,500 insurance bill have to do with anything regarding the economic decision of an extended warranty. And just to be clear, we are talking about only an extended warranty, correct? Not an extended maintenance plan, which is a separate product. Extended Warranty isn't covering normal, required service intervals, like brakes, level 1 and 2 inspections, etc., etc. I think I would actually consider an extended maintenance plan before an extended warranty.

So yea, I don't see how it makes much sense to pay $5,100 up front to offset the potential risk of something breaking that might be covered under warrany in the specific time period of years 4 through 6 (again assuming you don't hit mileage limits first), and of course it better be a repair that would cost more than the $5,100 that was paid in the first place.

Let me open your eyes a little here to something other than a dealer sold extended warranty plan (which is a 3rd party warranty may I add). One that is actually better than what BMW offers and covers more stuff. Then maybe you'll rethink your position..

I have an '08 M3 with 41,500 miles on it. I've been researching extended warranties for this car through BMW and NUMEROUS other 3rd party sources. In fact, I have an e-mail prepared with my findings with the top 7 warranty plans/costs/coverage and ranked from what I believe were the best plans on the market to the worst plans with the highest cost (I'm not affiliated with any dealerships or 3d party companies, just a fellow M3 owner). The best one I found covers an additional 6 years and an additional 72,000 miles for $6,000. That means I would be covered through 2018 and up to 113,500 total vehicle miles. If you do the math, that's $1,000 per year OR less than $100 a month for "insurance" against my engine, transmission, electronics, etc. The things it does not cover are mostly cosmetic and wheels/tires. Well worth it for piece of mind in my opinion, especially since I bought my car and plan to keep it for a long time.

My good buddy is a mechanic for BMW. He said they haven't seen a lot of high mile M3s like ours yet so no one knows what kind of problems they MAY have in future years at high mileage. The part that concerns him going forward is the DCT. It expensive to repair and even more expensive to replace, god forbid. If you choose not to purchase something like this that's your choice, but good luck to you if something major fails.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #61
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just stating if dude was talking about a waste of money...Im def wasting it away in insurance...and mine is an extended warranty...normal wear and tear items are a gimmie...I know I have to take care of that myself...I just wanted coverage in case something major goes wrong
      04-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #62
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
Let me open your eyes a little here to something other than a dealer sold extended warranty plan (which is a 3rd party warranty may I add). One that is actually better than what BMW offers and covers more stuff. Then maybe you'll rethink your position..

I have an '08 M3 with 41,500 miles on it. I've been researching extended warranties for this car through BMW and NUMEROUS other 3rd party sources. In fact, I have an e-mail prepared with my findings with the top 7 warranty plans/costs/coverage and ranked from what I believe were the best plans on the market to the worst plans with the highest cost (I'm not affiliated with any dealerships or 3d party companies, just a fellow M3 owner). The best one I found covers an additional 6 years and an additional 72,000 miles for $6,000. That means I would be covered through 2018 and up to 113,500 total vehicle miles. If you do the math, that's $1,000 per year OR less than $100 a month for "insurance" against my engine, transmission, electronics, etc. The things it does not cover are mostly cosmetic and wheels/tires. Well worth it for piece of mind in my opinion, especially since I bought my car and plan to keep it for a long time.

My good buddy is a mechanic for BMW. He said they haven't seen a lot of high mile M3s like ours yet so no one knows what kind of problems they MAY have in future years at high mileage. The part that concerns him going forward is the DCT. It expensive to repair and even more expensive to replace, god forbid. If you choose not to purchase something like this that's your choice, but good luck to you if something major fails.
I concur that what you have researched could make more sense. I just didn't see how paying $5,100 up front for only covering 2 additional years (basically just a 2-year extension of the 4/50,000 factory warranty) would make sense. But the ones you have researched seem a little more reasonable and perhaps worth considering a little deeper. Obviously a key element would be to fully understand everything that is covered and everything that is not covered.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #63
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I think it should be pretty obvious that the average cost of repairs will always be lower than the cost of any extended warranty or else it would not exist. The DCT is a curiosity to me. I have not read of anyone ever getting it replaced under anything other than the original manufacturer warranty. To go further I haven't heard of it being repaired either, just replaced. In this regard it seems like something has to change. The car is ending its life cycle and soon enough there will need to be some mechanism to fix the thing outside of the performance aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #64
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I concur that what you have researched could make more sense. I just didn't see how paying $5,100 up front for only covering 2 additional years (basically just a 2-year extension of the 4/50,000 factory warranty) would make sense. But the ones you have researched seem a little more reasonable and perhaps worth considering a little deeper. Obviously a key element would be to fully understand everything that is covered and everything that is not covered.
I have a 08 M3 and I bought it with 81k miles...yeah kinda high but ive bought all my BMW's around the 80k mark...Mine is 5/50k miles. So I'm good till 130k miles. I have no clue what could go wrong with these V8's or DCT tranny's in the upper mileage range. BMW's are awesome cars but not prone to breaking down. It is a man made machine
      04-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #65
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Speaking of extend warranty, I wonder how those 3rd party extend warranty works. They sure are cheaper and mostly a lot cheaper than factory extend warranty. Has anyone here had some previous experience?
      04-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #66
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion
Quote:
I have a 08 M3 and I bought it with 81k miles...yeah kinda high but ive bought all my BMW's around the 80k mark...Mine is 5/50k miles. So I'm good till 130k miles. I have no clue what could go wrong with these V8's or DCT tranny's in the upper mileage range. BMW's are awesome cars but not prone to breaking down. It is a man made machine
I was at a dealer talking about a deal to trade my m for a p car and the salesman was keeping on giving me this idea that my 08 with 43k mile is a very HIGH mileage car in the category. I know it was just his strategy to go lowball on my trade but that sure didn't impress me.