BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
M3 vs New Supra?

With the unveil of the new Supra, there seems to be some controversy. Either you love it, or you hate it. Perhaps I am a bit biased, but I am the former.

Some may fault Toyota for partnering with BMW, however I stand by it to be brilliant. The only engine comparable to the 2JZ in modern cars is BMW's turbo inline 6. From its massive aftermarket support, strong internals, and general reliability with big power, I can't see Toyota developing anything better.

Beyond the engine, BMW, for decades has set the benchmark for road going race cars. To bring in the pinnacle of engineering to develop Toyota's flagship sports car will surely prove to be wise on the road, but also on the track.

While styling is subjective, I think it looks fantastic. In fact, it's one of the most beautiful modern cars in its price point.

The only major flaw I see is the lack of manual transmission. I know modern automatics are fast, efficient, and better in all aspects on paper... but that's just it; the original Supra wasn't that impressive on paper, rather what it represented in the hands of the enthusiast: a pure drivers car in all aspects. An homage to the original with a manual option would have been a smart move.

Now on to the big question, how will this car stand up against its old-twice-removed-distant-cousin, the E92 M3? Perhaps we will have to wait a few months to determine, but I am curious as to your thoughts.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-what-we-know/
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

This isn't even a question. The car looks like somebody puked up dinner. Yes you could make tons of horsepower on the old Supra. However, beyond that was special about the car.

Did it ever win anything on the world stage?
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

The thing is hideous
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
This isn't even a question. The car looks like somebody puked up dinner. Yes you could make tons of horsepower on the old Supra. However, beyond that was special about the car.

Did it ever win anything on the world stage?
Sure it didn't win the Nurburgring or the Isle of Man, but as an enthusiast, lap times are hardly my concern. The Supra was just cool. It was the M3 of its Japanese counterparts: the benchmark amongst its competitors.

As far as the looks, i'd have to disagree. I think it looks fantastic.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pair of e90's

I think the new Supra looks great online!

This forum is extremely biased, which is expected. An e92 parked next to a new Supra will not get a second glance. I am guessing it will be a better handling car as well. Then again, it's over 10 years newer and takes advantage of better design and manufacturing techniques.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #6
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I saw pictures online and I can't believe that it cleared any marketing tests. While there are some that will swoon over it, in my mind it doesn't compare to an M3. There's something special about an M that no Toyota can replica. 10 years from now people will likely not remember the new Supra, but they will remember an M.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #7
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
With the unveil of the new Supra, there seems to be some controversy. Either you love it, or you hate it. Perhaps I am a bit biased, but I am the former.

Some may fault Toyota for partnering with BMW, however I stand by it to be brilliant. The only engine comparable to the 2JZ in modern cars is BMW's turbo inline 6. From its massive aftermarket support, strong internals, and general reliability with big power, I can't see Toyota developing anything better.

Beyond the engine, BMW, for decades has set the benchmark for road going race cars. To bring in the pinnacle of engineering to develop Toyota's flagship sports car will surely prove to be wise on the road, but also on the track.

While styling is subjective, I think it looks fantastic. In fact, it's one of the most beautiful modern cars in its price point.

The only major flaw I see is the lack of manual transmission. I know modern automatics are fast, efficient, and better in all aspects on paper... but that's just it; the original Supra wasn't that impressive on paper, rather what it represented in the hands of the enthusiast: a pure drivers car in all aspects. An homage to the original with a manual option would have been a smart move.

Now on to the big question, how will this car stand up against its old-twice-removed-distant-cousin, the E92 M3? Perhaps we will have to wait a few months to determine, but I am curious as to your thoughts.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-what-we-know/
S65 engine is jewel so M3

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #8
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I think the Supra looks great, particularly the rear quarter view with little ducktail spoiler. Its a proper sports car platform, significantly lighter than the M3, has a strong engine. I suspect it's going to be very impressive dynamically. Its basically a hardtop Z4 with a more aggressive setup. Whilst it has a Toyota badge its effectively all BMW.

All the swooning over the S65 is so overblown on this forum.
Appreciate 1
Iyzmi802.00
      01-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
rdoctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
I saw this beautiful video before I had read a word about the new Supra and the first thing that came to mind was the Z4M. I kind of liked the Z4M with all of it's awkward body lines so I kind of like the 2020 Supra as well. The GR Supra is not really comparable to an M3 IMO. If you haven't seen this video you should check it out in all of it's 4K glory. And yes, Shmee is a goof ball so turn down the sound if he bugs you.

SOLD: e92 M3 6MT, Jet Black/Black
Dinan: Software Tune | CF Intake | Exhaust | Pulley Kit | Stage 1 Suspension | Pedals /// BBS e88 18x9.5 et19; 18x10.5 et19 on PS4 265/285 /// Lux Angel Eyes
Appreciate 1
MrGatsby348.00
      01-16-2019, 11:00 PM   #10
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

The one thing that greatly disappoints is that it is only available with a 10 spd automatic transmission. For this reason, it's a no go for me. Even the new GT500 has a DCT. If Toyota developed this based off the Z4, why couldn't they bring over a DCT or at least a MT?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:23 AM   #11
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTony View Post
The one thing that greatly disappoints is that it is only available with a 10 spd automatic transmission. For this reason, it's a no go for me. Even the new GT500 has a DCT. If Toyota developed this based off the Z4, why couldn't they bring over a DCT or at least a MT?
It's basically a Z4 coupe with shitty interior. I wouldn't bother.

That being said it is likely going to be specced with MT at least in JP because demands are high for MT sports cars such that the M2 comp is only available in MT here because nobody bought the M2 with DCT..
      01-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd go with an M3. If I wanted something similar to the new Supra, I'd get a Z4M or a 240i instead
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #13
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

I'd go with an m3 but then again that's why I am on the m3 board with my m3 and not on the Supra board with my Supra.

I don't like the rear of the Supra but the side shot with the wing looks stellar. Looks like a very interesting ride regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Toyota should have built the Supra from the ground up to have any chance with enthusiasts. This is a shit effort on the part of Toyota and imo shows that Toyota didn't care to put work into it. Looks are okay but the interior engine and interior resemblance to BMW kill this cars chance of being taken seriously... no thanks. Not to mention power is lacking...

I grew up admiring the 4th gen Supra and looked forward to the evolution of the 5th gen. This isnt even an evolution.

GTR is in another league compared to this and the Supra should have reset the bar for Japanese sports cars.

To answer the question, I'll take an E9x all day over this.
Appreciate 1
dkexige61.50
      01-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #15
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Toyota should have built the Supra from the ground up to have any chance with enthusiasts. This is a shit effort on the part of Toyota and imo shows that Toyota didn't care to put work into it. Looks are okay but the interior engine and interior resemblance to BMW kill this cars chance of being taken seriously... no thanks. Not to mention power is lacking...

I grew up admiring the 4th gen Supra and looked forward to the evolution of the 5th gen. This isnt even an evolution.

GTR is in another league compared to this and the Supra should have reset the bar for Japanese sports cars.

To answer the question, I'll take an E9x all day over this.
I don't think it was laziness or lack of effort on Toyota's part. Quite the opposite actually: car companies rarely make money off of sports cars, in fact most lose money on them. Toyota makes it's money off of cheap econo cars. However Akio Toyoda is a huge motorsport fan. The board simply wouldn't have allowed him to build a Supra from the ground up. It would make no sense financially and would not have been done. However Akio wanted to bring a new Supra to production because of his genuine love for what it represents. He had to figure out a way to do it within budget. So he turned to BMW, in my slightly biased opinion, the best manufacturer of road going sports cars today, to get it done.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #16
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

after all those years of stupefying hype and teasers, i cant believe how bad this thing turned out to be. a Z4 in drag with an anemic engine and 8-spd auto. and 2 seats so its not even practical! hard f*cking pass.

Last edited by Not Sure; 01-17-2019 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #17
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

https://jalopnik.com/what-we-found-w...sup-1831800550
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #18
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Can't believe any thinks this is a good looking car. How much do you want to bet me he won't have that car very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoctor View Post
I saw this beautiful video before I had read a word about the new Supra and the first thing that came to mind was the Z4M. I kind of liked the Z4M with all of it's awkward body lines so I kind of like the 2020 Supra as well. The GR Supra is not really comparable to an M3 IMO. If you haven't seen this video you should check it out in all of it's 4K glory. And yes, Shmee is a goof ball so turn down the sound if he bugs you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #19
phantasticphan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 Touring, e92 M3

Its like comparing apples to oranges, the e92 is at least 5 years old, it would be better to compare the 2020 supra to a 2020 M3...Either way, M3 all day over the new Supra (still a nice car though)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #20
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

this is a 2-seat sports car that even with all of the options available can just barely get to the base price of an E90 M3 from 10 years ago, and that's ignoring gas guzzler tax. The Zupra is, at heart, an M2 with a B58 and a bunch of weaght and wheelbase taken out. If you're cross-shopping a 2-seater with an M3 you need to look elsewhere, like the immense variety of p-car, jag, benz, vette, yada 2-seaters available for amazingly cheap with a few miles on them

The M2 is a good car, why wouldn't a lower M2 with 150lb and a foot of wheelbase removed be even better to drive? And between this and the "slightly modified benz SLC" Z4, I'll take this every time

The manual thing is a bummer, but the fastest drag supras were always the automatics anyway

y'all on some crack. It's a good car and we should be happy it got built at all when most of the development dollars are going to electrification and tall wagon. It's going to look like a spaceship on the road compared to most modern cars. The LC500 got tons of WTF's from people but they snap necks on the road. Toyota is doing a lot of things right these days

Here's what I don't "get". The Zupra is, in the end, a BMW underneath. Either BMW has seriously advanced the reliability of their newer engines, and the N55 was a good sign but still has some issues (mine was great until it pooped out an injector), or Toyota just said "F it, YOLO" to their reputation for reliability and figure people just won't care if it's a little broken sometimes. They would have had my attention with one of their corporate V6's that are so excellent and doing such a good job transitioning to sports-car duty in the Lotus

Personally I'm hoping for a $35k Celica Supra with the B48 but I doubt we'll get it here

Last edited by Richbot; 01-18-2019 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 3
dkexige61.50
MrGatsby348.00
Iyzmi802.00
      01-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #21
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

Here is HRE's take on the new Supra. You must scroll thru them all, pic your favorite and then look at post #10. :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I don't think it's a bad looking car. Like many said, it's a newer Z4 M Coupe in terms of styling, but I do think it's wonky to have the, arguably, most reliable badge with the majority of the actual parts coming from an expensive-to-maintain (and maintain often) badge. So either Toyota took a plunge and is hoping for the best, or BMW has stepped up reliability and stepped down the cost to play.

I, for one, hope to see this thing really succeed. It's nice to see something of this genre coming out in the year of cars becoming evermore appliance. In that same breath, I don't think it will unless it has a TON of soul.

To your question, I lean heavily towards the E9x M3 because it has nothing but soul. I think comparing the two is a wide spectrum with lots in between for a variety of reasons. I think it would be a better comparison to the E86 M, but we all know who will be the winner on that one...
Appreciate 0