BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #67
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post
Anyone know, as i assume both lift pieces rely on hydraulic oil/pressure through the lines, if you are storing these, can the two units be separated without oil spewing out?

I had the same concern at first.

Yes, the quick disconnect lines have these special adapters, you can disconnect them anytime and they seal up instantly so no oil ever comes out, not even a drop. Very cool stuff.
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1457.50
PACarGuy679.00
      02-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #68
delirium330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 3 Pedals

Sale today, not sure how good of a deal though:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Ja...110v/307393222
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #69
BimmerSixDeuce
Rep
Drives: E46

I just picked one of these up from Costco. How do you guys use the lifting blocks that came with it? Directly under the BMW plastic jack pads or do you remove the BMW jack pads and lift straight onto the jack points?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #70
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Crawling through the middle would freak me out - no way to get out quickly if working in the middle of the car... that’s why I got a full Bendpak 4 post lift instead (with sliding jack to lift the wheels off the runners). Full height capable, multiple safety interlocks, front and side access, etc.

I’ve had it in a one car garage, and though tight, still happier with the safety. Now I have it in a two car garage and just park on (or under) it when not in use. I can’t use the full height (because of the garage), but I can get most of cars at least 5ft off the ground. Working on my Evo I literally sat in a chair putting the transfer case in!

They aren’t too expensive considering it’s a long term investment (had mine for almost 9 years now, and it’s been invaluable). Not as portable as the QJ of course, but I doubt many people are hauling the QJ around with them anyway.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #71
MikeyDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 - MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSixDeuce View Post
I just picked one of these up from Costco. How do you guys use the lifting blocks that came with it? Directly under the BMW plastic jack pads or do you remove the BMW jack pads and lift straight onto the jack points?
I bought a set of jack pads to use in conjunction with the blocks the provide...

https://www.amazon.com/imUfer-Aluminum-Adapter-Anodized-Durable/dp/B0725GCJ6T/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=e90+bmw+jack+pads&qid=1551 720176&s=gateway&sr=8-7

I actually use some painters tape to hold the jack pads in the BMW jack positions so they stay in place while you lift the quick jack until the blocks touch the pads... but might be overkill but helpful. Hope that helps.

Last edited by MikeyDawg; 03-04-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #72
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

I got mine at Costco for 1k ship to me 2 days later arrived at my door love this qj wo much space to work under the car
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #73
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

I got mine at Costco for 1k ship to me 2 days later arrived at my door love this qj wo much space to work under the car[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #74
brodiem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Does anyone know if the 7000SLX model will properly cover all of the jacking points? I'm considering one but I'd want to be able to use it on my truck as well so I'd need the higher weight rating.

Last weekend when I went to get the car up in the air, I drove the front onto my Race Ramps and jacked the rear to put on stands, and 1) the race ramps didn't clear my lip and it scuffed off a bunch of clear, and 2) when I jacked from the rear diff it pulled the car backwards enough to roll off the ramp with stands and my jack under the car but luckily nothing was damaged. In hindsight I should have put stands under the front after getting onto the ramps. I find it is such a PITA to get all 4 corners in the air, and while the RR are nice, there isn't enough room to get chocks behind the wheels and now I need to use extra extensions with wood or something to get enough clearance.
      03-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #75
brodiem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekbreaker View Post
I got mine at Costco for 1k ship to me 2 days later arrived at my door love this qj wo much space to work under the car[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Do you have the wood laying there because there isn't enough clearance for the QJ without getting it higher in the air? Are you lowered?
      03-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #76
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodiem View Post
Does anyone know if the 7000SLX model will properly cover all of the jacking points? I'm considering one but I'd want to be able to use it on my truck as well so I'd need the higher weight rating.
I have the 5000ext which is the longer 5000lb lift and it lifts my m3 properly with room to spare between the tires. I would estimate about 10 inches or so of total space that I have remaining between the tires but I have not measured. All you need to do is get the length of the qj you want and measure the distance in between your tires to see if it will fit.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #77
BimmerSixDeuce
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDawg View Post
I bought a set of jack pads to use in conjunction with the blocks the provide...

https://www.amazon.com/imUfer-Aluminum-Adapter-Anodized-Durable/dp/B0725GCJ6T/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=e90+bmw+jack+pads&qid=1551 720176&s=gateway&sr=8-7

I actually use some painters tape to hold the jack pads in the BMW jack positions so they stay in place while you lift the quick jack until the blocks touch the pads... but might be overkill but helpful. Hope that helps.
Just ordered these. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #78
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSixDeuce View Post
Quote:

Just ordered these. Thanks!
Not needed and the quickjack isn't Designed for load from ground position, it needs a bit of a run up. If your cars lowered and the more blocks you add you're adding stress to the hydraulic's. The rubber blocks on plastic jack points are more than suffice.
      03-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #79
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodiem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekbreaker View Post
Do you have the wood laying there because there isn't enough clearance for the QJ without getting it higher in the air? Are you lowered?
good catch I lay the wood because I wanted to used 2 rubber block so in order for me to do that I had to lift the car and then have enough clearance to used 2 blocks no need for the rear
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #80
MikeyDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Not needed and the quickjack isn't Designed for load from ground position, it needs a bit of a run up. If your cars lowered and the more blocks you add you're adding stress to the hydraulic's. The rubber blocks on plastic jack points are more than suffice.
Not sure I understand your point here. The jack pads only lower the lifting point by maybe an inch.

But with the jack pad, the contact b/t the pad and block seems stronger/more stable than lifting the car with the block directly contacting the plastic jack points.

Perhaps Im wrong, but I didnt feel confident lifting the car with the quickjacks blocks directly against the plastic jack points.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #81
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Was useful for when my friend did my rear brakes
Attached Images

03-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #82
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure I understand your point here. The jack pads only lower the lifting point by maybe an inch.

But with the jack pad, the contact b/t the pad and block seems stronger/more stable than lifting the car with the block directly contacting the plastic jack points.

Perhaps Im wrong, but I didnt feel confident lifting the car with the quickjacks blocks directly against the plastic jack points.
I would argue adding anything inbetween the car and rubber block would make it less stable. And if your car is lowered, that extra 1" is just adding load on the qj when it's in the ground position, the car is plenty stable on the just the rubber blocks, I can't understand why someone would want to stack something else on them..

I should add I've had a hose failure on one of mine, right when it hit load off the ground.. one of things qj was adamant about was giving the jack as much clearance as possible. They warranted it...
      03-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #83
MikeyDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would argue adding anything inbetween the car and rubber block would make it less stable. And if your car is lowered, that extra 1" is just adding load on the qj when it's in the ground position, the car is plenty stable on the just the rubber blocks, I can't understand why someone would want to stack something else on them..

I should add I've had a hose failure on one of mine, right when it hit load off the ground.. one of things qj was adamant about was giving the jack as much clearance as possible. They warranted it...

I guess i get what you are saying, but the pad doesn't just "stack"... it actually inserts into the plastic jack point giving, IMO, a more stable jacking point than without. They are designed specifically for BMW/Mini jack points to be used with lifts/jacks/etc.

I've read a lot of people talk about the plastic jack points breaking and the pad I linked seemed to be a common use item to avoid that.

Sounds like you got it figured out for yourself and those reading my advice/approach can decide for themselves.

Also, I looked up the dimension and the jack pad decreases the lifting point by 0.4".

I will add I am curious what others think... If I don't have to deal with the pads, then using the quick jack would be that much easier.

Last edited by MikeyDawg; 03-05-2019 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      03-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #84
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I guess i get what you are saying, but the pad doesn't just "stack"... it actually inserts into the plastic jack point giving, IMO, a more stable jacking point than without. They are designed specifically for BMW/Mini jack points to be used with lifts/jacks/etc.

I've read a lot of people talk about the plastic jack points breaking and the pad I linked seemed to be a common use item to avoid that.

Sounds like you got it figured out for yourself and those reading my advice/approach can decide for themselves.

Also, I looked up the dimension and the jack pad decreases the lifting point by 0.4".

I will add I am curious what others think... If I don't have to deal with the pads, then using the quick jack would be that much easier.
Oh I see they key into the plastic, I still don't think they're necessary and take away from the convenience of the jack but to each their own.. carry on
      03-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #85
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun_e92 View Post
I purchased this part in December 2018 (only a few months ago) and I've noticed that is leaking air. The diagonal spring is leaking air quite significantly. I've attached images showing. This is occurring for both parts left and right.:mad0259:
Call them and get it replaced. Mine is having issues too and I'm working thru the claim now
      03-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #86
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
Crawling through the middle would freak me out - no way to get out quickly if working in the middle of the car... that’s why I got a full Bendpak 4 post lift instead (with sliding jack to lift the wheels off the runners). Full height capable, multiple safety interlocks, front and side access, etc.

I’ve had it in a one car garage, and though tight, still happier with the safety. Now I have it in a two car garage and just park on (or under) it when not in use. I can’t use the full height (because of the garage), but I can get most of cars at least 5ft off the ground. Working on my Evo I literally sat in a chair putting the transfer case in!

They aren’t too expensive considering it’s a long term investment (had mine for almost 9 years now, and it’s been invaluable). Not as portable as the QJ of course, but I doubt many people are hauling the QJ around with them anyway.

Thanks!

S.
I would love to have a 4 post lift, but my garage isn't really big enough for it, and when I price them out, they're a pretty significant investment when you factor in installation.

Regarding the safety and stability issue, the QJ has been tested at extremely high loads way beyond the designed lift capacity, and doesn't rely on the hydraulics to support the car's weight, so there shouldn't be a big concern there. They are also stable as hell:

I feel far more comfortable being underneath the QJ than jackstands.
      03-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #87
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

I will say this - their videos are hysterical
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #88
commedeschatons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335d, '03 Jetta Wagon

between this quickjack, costco 93, and 10lb bags of peeled garlic my membership is pretty much paying off

Appreciate 0