BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #23
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Silverstone E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
JC, you and I have had numerous discussions back and forth in PM, so I think I have a pretty good idea of where you're coming from. Based on everything we've talked about, every system out there will involve some trade offs for you, including the stock one. That being the case, you might be best off just powdercoating (not painting) the stock mufflers and calling it a day.
  • AA: Your original post suggests that you're willing to broaden your requirements to include exhausts that have a little more noise than stock below 2,500 rpm, but are as quiet as stock above that. Every aftermarket exhaust will be at least a little louder than stock below 2,500, but based on our discussions, I am certain that the AA is too loud down low for more aurally sensitive guys like you and me.
  • Bastuck: I think the original version for our cars might be perfect for you in terms of sound (many have complained that it is too quiet), but the appearance of the big barrel-shaped one-piece muffler isn't much of an improvement over stock. The new Bastuck looks much better, but might be a bit louder than you want (you'll have to listen to it to be sure though).
  • Borla: I've never heard a Borla setup that didn't have insane levels of drone.
  • Corsa: All reports suggest pretty bad drone on this one too.
  • Dinan: As we've discussed, I think this has the perfect sound for you, but you're not a fan of the black tips or Dinan's treatment of potential customers. Based on what they did to you, I don't blame you on the latter.
  • Eisenmann Sport: Expensive (especially with the connecting pipes), heavier than stock, and the two big mufflers hang down a bit more than you'd probably like.
  • Remus Sport: Sounds like there might be a bit of drone in exactly the wrong rpm range. You'd want to confirm in person, but if so, that's probably a deal killer.

There are a couple of other options that might work for you, but are far more expensive than you're looking to spend.

Btw, the Dinan is essentially a straight-through design, but doesn't drone higher up. Perhaps this is due to the use of only one functional tip per muffler.
I'm sorta in the same boat as the original. I've seen one post in another location that suggest the AA drones at 2500, 3000 and 4000. Have you heard any of this. Also, has anyone ever combined x pipes with dissimilar rear exhaust and if so, that was the result?
      08-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #24
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwest View Post
I'm sorta in the same boat as the original. I've seen one post in another location that suggest the AA drones at 2500, 3000 and 4000. Have you heard any of this. Also, has anyone ever combined x pipes with dissimilar rear exhaust and if so, that was the result?
If you look at the majority of the review I believe the conclusion is that at low rpms, IE 2500-3000 the noise you are referring to is the engine "dragging/struggling"... drone is usually associated with the "booming" noise you get while cruising at around 60-70 mph at 2700-3000 rpm, there is no drone at that level....That is why we incorporated the NCC into this system..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Just a few things on the AA Signature...

Very recently I went through the whole ordeal of trying to find a "nice" aftermarket exhaust which is not tool loud. I do not want to draw attention in the hospital parking garage (which is a very very echo prone place), the car my DD, etc.

I read all kind of things about the AA sound. So I was very afraid it will be too loud for me. So afraid indeed that I was planning to start the car on the stands and put just in case I want the stock back righ away. (I did the install) I choosed AA because of the easy installation, bolt on system, nice adjustable tips, etc.
I was very surprised since the AA Signature exhaust I got is not loud at all!!! Some people reported setting off car alarm in garages with the AA. I could never reproduce that. I tried, multiple times, no alarm. The exhaust has a very nice tone, nicer than the Remus race (only other exhaust I heard in person) and less loud!
The exhaust indeed is louder at low rpm range (up to 2500) than stock but not much. My exhaust may be quieter due to the AA ECU tuning??!! I do not know, but definitely not too loud. Actually I would appreciate something louder on the track at above 6000rpm.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Just a few things on the AA Signature...

Very recently I went through the whole ordeal of trying to find a "nice" aftermarket exhaust which is not tool loud. I do not want to draw attention in the hospital parking garage (which is a very very echo prone place), the car my DD, etc.

I read all kind of things about the AA sound. So I was very afraid it will be too loud for me. So afraid indeed that I was planning to start the car on the stands and put just in case I want the stock back righ away. (I did the install) I choosed AA because of the easy installation, bolt on system, nice adjustable tips, etc.
I was very surprised since the AA Signature exhaust I got is not loud at all!!! Some people reported setting off car alarm in garages with the AA. I could never reproduce that. I tried, multiple times, no alarm. The exhaust has a very nice tone, nicer than the Remus race (only other exhaust I heard in person) and less loud!
The exhaust indeed is louder at low rpm range (up to 2500) than stock but not much. My exhaust may be quieter due to the AA ECU tuning??!! I do not know, but definitely not too loud. Actually I would appreciate something louder on the track at above 6000rpm.
This seems to be more accurate and similar to reviews I receive from other customers with our rear section.

If anyone has any other questions or concerns regarding our Signature System feel free to ask.

Regards,
Appreciate 0