BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Detroit M3
Major
Rep
Drives: Murdered E92 M3

Do you guys reccomend an extended warranty?

Hey guys,

I'm about to break into the 50,000 mile club do you recommend I extend my warranty? Have any of you tallied up the cost and seen if it was beneficial?
      11-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

search as this thread seems to come up now once a week; and my warranty just expired and I declined on extending it. Weight the cost of the warranty versus maintenance and unexpected repairs yourself and make a judgement; IMO not worth it. I am also mechanically inclined, so...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

I see a warranty as buying an insurance policy against the engine/transmission. Worth the peace of mind in my book
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
I got my E90 ///M3 2nd hand @40k miles and she wasn't CPO

I dont remember the exact numbers, but I paid $48xx to get my car CPO'ed and around $4k to extended my maintenance to 100k.

So far to me, I've got my money's worth... to put it in simple terms, I just think about the 2 (one down) brake job that the $4k would cover and the 4 oil changes thats been covered... yea..

The Brake Job @60k miles; front and rear pads and rotors alone was upwards of $4k... Covered under extended maintenance.

I've had a tensioner pulley go out on me, covered under CPO.

The clocked just hit 75xxx miles on my car. In fact, I just drop her off to the steeler earlier today; to get my free (well, I pre-paid for it I suppose)..
-heres the work order..
•Standard Scope
•Synthetic Oil & Filter change
•Vehicle check per CBS
•Replace intake silencer (Air filter)
•Rear axel differential maintenance < this is nice
•Spark Plugs maintenance

• And fix my passenger door lock actuator ($50 deductible)

So in my case, or my personal opinion, I didn't mind to shell out the extra $8K up front to give me a little piece of mind up to a 100K miles

And yes, I have some wrenching skills, I'd say 6.8 outta 10.
(sure sure, if you must know, I performed my own Inspection II and replaced my clutch in my SMG E46 M3, i think) And still preferred to extend my stuff..

To Each Their Own... get it I say...

'08 Jerez Black E90 ///M3
Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post
I got my E90 ///M3 2nd hand @40k miles and she wasn't CPO

I dont remember the exact numbers, but I paid $48xx to get my car CPO'ed and around $4k to extended my maintenance to 100k.

So far to me, I've got my money's worth... to put it in simple terms, I just think about the 2 (one down) brake job that the $4k would cover and the 4 oil changes thats been covered... yea..

The Brake Job @60k miles; front and rear pads and rotors alone was upwards of $4k... Covered under extended maintenance.

I've had a tensioner pulley go out on me, covered under CPO.

The clocked just hit 75xxx miles on my car. In fact, I just drop her off to the steeler earlier today; to get my free (well, I pre-paid for it I suppose)..
-heres the work order..
•Standard Scope
•Synthetic Oil & Filter change
•Vehicle check per CBS
•Replace intake silencer (Air filter)
•Rear axel differential maintenance < this is nice
•Spark Plugs maintenance

• And fix my passenger door lock actuator ($50 deductible)

So in my case, or my personal opinion, I didn't mind to shell out the extra $8K up front to give me a little piece of mind up to a 100K miles

And yes, I have some wrenching skills, I'd say 6.8 outta 10.
(sure sure, if you must know, I performed my own Inspection II and replaced my clutch in my SMG E46 M3, i think) And still preferred to extend my stuff..

To Each Their Own... get it I say...

This is maintenance not really warranty related and 8k is a lot of money. You can buy a used motor for 8k
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Dovetonsils
Banned
Rep
Drives: nice

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 6MT AW

I got only the power train plus. It was ~$3k for 6/100,000. Got a good price on it and the piece of mind is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Look into private warranty's like Fidelity. You can custom tailor the miles/time to suit your driving needs. I think BMW's CPO is wacky with 2 year/50k miles, plus it doesn't cover bumper to bumper...and there's a deductible.
      11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I liked the peace of mind so I went for it via BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Detroit M3
Major
Rep
Drives: Murdered E92 M3

Thanks for all your input guys. After reading through all the posts I will most likely extend my warranty.
      11-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
This is maintenance not really warranty related and 8k is a lot of money. You can buy a used motor for 8k
To Each Their Own... get it I say... No wrong, no right....

Lets say both our "motor" blows up tomorrow morning as we go to work?....
We're both late for work and you hop in wife's car, I call in and say I'll be a few hours late... Get my car towed to BMW.. and leave it there as I leave in a loaner 335d.
They do their work and say in a weeks time, they put an order out for a new engine.

To be honest, I wouldn't even want to imagine who and where I need to call for a new engine, since I have 8K in my pocket to just drop on an engine any time of the day... ( and a USED motor you say? I get a new one...)

Say, my motor has to be shipped from Germany, and it takes 3 weeks to get here.. In the mean time, you have been busy juggling/ sharing a car with wifey, taking 2 kids to school, dropping wife off to work and you get the point...

And say you and I can swap our S65 out with our eyes closed..... with that said, you still need to find time to work on your car. I'm sure your wife would be thrilled to see an exploded view of your engine bay. I'm just glad someone is doing the dirty work for me.

1 month later, BMW calls me saying cars should be done.... How much time in that month might have you been able to spare on your ride?

Maybe I'm lazy or getting old.... But I like spending my time Modding my car. Spending time to fix a broken car is far less fun and only frustrating.

To each their own I say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetonsils View Post
You mocking me? nice buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaksauce View Post
I got only the power train plus. It was ~$3k for 6/100,000. Got a good price on it and the piece of mind is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Look into private warranty's like Fidelity. You can custom tailor the miles/time to suit your driving needs. I think BMW's CPO is wacky with 2 year/50k miles, plus it doesn't cover bumper to bumper...and there's a deductible.
good option

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I liked the peace of mind so I went for it via BMW.

Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
BTW.. m3an

I mean no disrespect...

Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
etrillion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

If it isn't breaking the bank, I think it's wroth it too
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #14
Joker_9
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 DCT M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I am also in the same pickle with warranty, but most likely going to be purchasing it. I had a horrible experience with my old e46 M, two tabs on the vanos hub broke leaving me a $4k repair bill, not to mention rental car expenses for the time my car was being worked on.

I would like to believe that this engine is bullet proof, but I just can't wrap my mind around that, another critical failure like that would be very costly, especially on the S65.

I still love both cars though, two totally different animals, I still miss my old M sometimes.

I just can't decide, BMW warranty, or third party warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I did the powertrain plus warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

if you have the tools and know how, you don't need a warranty.

i say do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

A lot depends on how much you drive. I only put about 5k miles a year on my car, so it would definitely not be worth it to me.

It makes a lot more sense if you will max out mileage of the warranty, not if you run out of time, if that makes sense. Age doesn't brake cars, at least to the extent that mileage does.

Finally, they wouldn't sell the warranty if it wasn't profitable for them, on average. Economically, if you can afford repairs should they come up, you are likely benefited by not buying the warranty. If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't sell it to you.

Cars are different than houses, health, or your life. If your car has a catastrophic failure, like the engine blows up, you can always buy a beater and drive it 'til you can afford the repair. Houses and your body aren't quite as easy to live without
      12-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #18
oberthan
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Just bit the bullet on prepaid maintenance and full platinum BMW NA warranty for my 09e92. Why?

I committed to driving it to at least 85k miles at which I will get a low mileage used 2013 e92 coupe

The investment will show when it comes to selling my car.

I really enjoy the service advisors at the dealership I go to.

I'm not mechanically inclined nor do I have the time to work on it.

Last, in calling three local BMW "experts" none had touched the e92 as it few have come off warranty.

Lots of money but I've slept on it for a few nights and feel great about it.

Cheers -
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I'm a ways out from my warranty running out, but you better believe I'll be extending it and probably maintenance too.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #20
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
if you have the tools and know how, you don't need a warranty.

i say do it yourself.
Like I said earlier... Down time and .. fixing broken cars isn't fun. (To me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrillan View Post
If it isn't breaking the bank, I think it's wroth it too
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE_M3 View Post
A lot depends on how m̶u̶c̶h̶ you drive. I only put about 5k miles a year on my car, so it would definitely not be worth it to me.

It makes a lot more sense if you will max out mileage of the warranty, not if you run out of time, if that makes sense. Age doesn't brake cars, at least to the extent that mileage does.

Finally, they wouldn't sell the warranty if it wasn't profitable for them, on average. Economically, if you can afford repairs should they come up, you are likely benefited by not buying the warranty. If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't sell it to you.

Cars are different than houses, health, or your life. If your car has a catastrophic failure, like the engine blows up, you can always buy a beater and drive it 'til you can afford the repair. Houses and your body aren't quite as easy to live without
IMHO, I beg to differ, "seems' to me that the less driven car seem to have more problem then a car that is driven... Maybe its the luck of the draw or something.. Sure cars break, but to me, all these virgin (low Low miles) car have their fair share of problems too, (again! to me because lack of usage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberthan View Post
Just bit the bullet on prepaid maintenance and full platinum BMW NA warranty for my 09e92. Why?

I committed to driving it to at least 85k miles at which I will get a low mileage used 2013 e92 coupe

The investment will show when it comes to selling my car.

I really enjoy the service advisors at the dealership I go to.

I'm not mechanically inclined nor do I have the time to work on it.

Last, in calling three local BMW "experts" none had touched the e92 as it few have come off warranty.

Lots of money but I've slept on it for a few nights and feel great about it.

Cheers -
What's wrong after 85k, I'm at 74k MY2008 and if blind folded, you couldn't tell the difference between my car and my buddy's MY2012...
clutch, suspension, response still tight like a virgin.. but really. yes my car is that good, so why wouldn't yours be?

Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #21
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post
Like I said earlier... Down time and .. fixing broken cars isn't fun. (To me)
do you think i jump up and down when i have to fix something?

no.

but it gives me and everyone else great satisfaction knowing we didn't spend up to and over 8k on some warranty.

also, very rarely does a mechanical breakdown render a car completely useless.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
Parkanzky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 SGM M3

My '10 goes out of warranty in 8-10 months and I've been weighing the extended maintenance and warranty options myself. To me, the extended warranty is just not worth it.

Xcelrrate above says, "The Brake Job @60k miles; front and rear pads and rotors alone was upwards of $4k..." While that's what it was at the dealer, you can buy pads and rotors all around from some place like getbmwparts.com for under $1500. I can install them in half an hour at home. If I don't feel like it, there's a great independent euro shop in town that will do it for a couple hundred bucks. The maintenance is expensive on these cars no matter what, but it's only ridiculously expensive if you take it to the dealer.

And yes, the loaner cars are nice, but for a lot of us the M3 is our 3rd or 4th car. If my M3 melted down today, I'd hop in one of my other cars and continue going about my business. Even if I needed another car, I could pay for a rental with the difference between dealer parts and labor and what it costs at a good independent shop.

I get the peace of mind insurance gets you. And different people have different philosophies on that. But to me, I would rather have the risk of paying for a major mechanical failure than pay a ~$5k "premium."
Appreciate 0