BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-04-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
You, your M3, and butt-hurt 'other drivers'

I drove a Honda Odyssey for a few years. Didn't matter how fast I was going or who was in front of me, but a large slice of drivers saw -"minivan, I've got to get in front of that guy…" as if because I was in the van I was automatically holding the entire world back.

It's been similar in other cars: the 350z people seemed to keep their distance, couple of Toyotas other drivers were neutral to, a Mini people assumed didn't have passing power and approached it similar to the Odyssey. Seems like certain vehicles and certain models evoke a reflex response not necessarily matching reality. And I'll admit my own guttural response to Subaru wagons.

Now driving a couple different M cars the last two years- I've had a few occasions where other drivers on the road completely lost their shit around me, reacting way out of proportion to the situation on the road.

Examples:

Lifted F150 with political flags went out of his way on an empty freeway to miss clipping my bumper at 70mph

M8 wanted around me from a stoplight so bad he almost swiped another car off the road then blasted 70mph down a section of 35mph road, that was down to single lane and active construction, only to sit at a light 1/2 mile down the road

Today a Mercedes sedan sped up to pull even with me in a 25mph zone, 2 lanes wide mind you, to blare on his horn and flip me the bird. I believe my crime from his perspective was having a louder exhaust

Now I'm no saint - but I don't tailgate, I don't cut people off, and I go out of my way to let other drivers in in front of me. But there seems to be a small group of folks out there who see an M and flip their shit.

Anyone else experience similar? I'm going to debadge the trunk and perform a sociological experiment
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
I drove a Honda Odyssey for a few years. Didn't matter how fast I was going or who was in front of me, but a large slice of drivers saw -"minivan, I've got to get in front of that guy…" as if because I was in the van I was automatically holding the entire world back.

It's been similar in other cars: the 350z people seemed to keep their distance, couple of Toyotas other drivers were neutral to, a Mini people assumed didn't have passing power and approached it similar to the Odyssey. Seems like certain vehicles and certain models evoke a reflex response not necessarily matching reality. And I'll admit my own guttural response to Subaru wagons.

Now driving a couple different M cars the last two years- I've had a few occasions where other drivers on the road completely lost their shit around me, reacting way out of proportion to the situation on the road.

Examples:

Lifted F150 with political flags went out of his way on an empty freeway to miss clipping my bumper at 70mph

M8 wanted around me from a stoplight so bad he almost swiped another car off the road then blasted 70mph down a section of 35mph road, that was down to single lane and active construction, only to sit at a light 1/2 mile down the road

Today a Mercedes sedan sped up to pull even with me in a 25mph zone, 2 lanes wide mind you, to blare on his horn and flip me the bird. I believe my crime from his perspective was having a louder exhaust

Now I'm no saint - but I don't tailgate, I don't cut people off, and I go out of my way to let other drivers in in front of me. But there seems to be a small group of folks out there who see an M and flip their shit.

Anyone else experience similar? I'm going to debadge the trunk and perform a sociological experiment
Yeah, I was the guy in the M8. You need to stop driving so slow.
Appreciate 5
      06-04-2022, 10:07 PM   #3
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Even when I have the valves closed, the catless x-pipe and Eisenmann sport apparently makes the car sound like it runs off hurt feelings. I took the car to Providence on Glisan a while back and got nothing but stink eye from anyone that could hear the car. Then on the way back up to Seattle it was an endless procession of people trying either police my speed or get me to race on I5. As I was in cruise control in the right lane. The worst were VW Jettas ..."Look Chad, I don't care what exhaust you have on your girlfriend's Jetta stanced out on 20s, let me listen to my audiobook."
Appreciate 2
CamasM3e933147.50
DrFerry6728.50
      06-04-2022, 11:25 PM   #4
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Yeah, I was the guy in the M8. You need to stop driving so slow.
Haha
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 02:19 AM   #5
1SloeEm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post

Examples:

Lmao. I thought it was just me.I sometimes hate driving my M3 for the exact same reasons.I was pumping e85 and some fxcking douchbag in a Audi pulled into the gas dumb as shit. Drove around the pumps slamming into the concrete barrier wrecking his front and rear door.Then hauled ass leaving the gas station. Or I have to deal will some slowass cars riding my ass trying to pass me even tho I’m going 85. I don’t get it.
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933147.50
      06-05-2022, 07:58 AM   #6
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
This is typical behavior in Florida no matter what you drive.

Had a guy in traffic freaking out, beeping horn, middle finger (longest finger I've ever seen strangely, barely fit in my rear view mirror) while in my wife's SQ5 and I'm like I couldn't have done anything, I've been in traffic!

So I rip it at first chance cause it's a new car and didn't want some jackass to tag it. He catches up in a another lane and starts shit with the next guy. Either he's insane or a sneaky way to get through traffic, just beep horn and act crazy and people will get o it of the way lol
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933147.50
      06-05-2022, 12:39 PM   #7
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Its because word is out that the V8 M3 is not actually that fast and everyone wants to slay it! In reality they are not that fast, you will need to be on your A game to shake off a Fettled Golf R!

That's completely missing the point with this car, its about feel, noise, poise and its a special thing to drive.

I have owned all sorts of very quick cars, such tuned F10 M5, tuned RS6's Tuned 911 Turbo's and once you are over the straight line performance they where all pretty boring to drive, almost cocoon you in speed!
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #8
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

I just drive behind a semi at 60, whoever is behind me, sucks for them!
CamasM3e933147.50
      06-05-2022, 03:15 PM   #9
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I feel your pain with the van lol. Sometimes I drive one of my companies work vans and the disrespect towards me on the road is hilarious. I also am no saint but I feel like "I shouldn't impact your travel negatively", so I try and be courteous out there. I've had a handful of assholes holler at me in one of my BMW's for little to nothing. I 100% think there is an anti "nice things" crowd out there. I really could give two shits for a jealous cliff of conclusion judgment fucko though. I like to smile and waive happily at them to further anger them I guess the BMW hatred transcends time and will never go away. How us BMW drivers get hatted on like this with some many jackass Mustang, Camaro & Corvette fucktards out there is just funny.
      06-07-2022, 07:26 PM   #10
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

There are a lot of haters out there and unhappy people.

Try driving a Tesla, its even worse.
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933147.50
      06-07-2022, 07:56 PM   #11
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
R u sure u guys aren't doing anything to provoke the other drivers? I'm not disbelieving your stories....but just curious as I don't recall anything like this ever occurring to me for no reason. Would make driving kinda shitty tho. Sorry to hear.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:38 PM   #12
SnohoRaptor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [9.00]
2020 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2019 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
This is easily explained by the fact we are surrounded by the sensitive folks of the PNW. Their politics and belief in the current "thing" seem to vent when they see the best M3 ever (running on pure testosterone) which also happens to burn carbon to sound better then anything else, especially their hybrid minivage.

I've had more then a handful of "super cool bros" almost clip me while displaying how much cooler they are then I am. It pisses me off too.

I've come to the conclusion, you either drive ahead of the flow of traffic or you slow down and defensively watch them drive like an assholes.

For me, it depends on my mood lol

MW 2020 G05 X5 with delicious coffee interior
Appreciate 4
CamasM3e933147.50
DrFerry6728.50
      06-07-2022, 10:46 PM   #13
1SloeEm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
R u sure u guys aren't doing anything to provoke the other drivers? I'm not disbelieving your stories....but just curious as I don't recall anything like this ever occurring to me for no reason. Would make driving kinda shitty tho. Sorry to hear.
Perhaps it's the way my car looks? When I was Oem+ I didn't really deal with anyone.Compared to before it gets a lot of negative attention.People always want to race until they hear the BOV going off at 5,000 rpm.Luckily for them I'm up for taking people to gapplebees🤣
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      06-08-2022, 03:53 AM   #14
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'm more of the cruise around and listen to audiobooks in the right lane kinda driver in any car I'm in. I cover Portland to British Columbia for work so I can't afford to drive like a douche bag and get tickets. The only time I really do anything noteworthy is in a tunnel; open the exhaust cutouts and downshift to let it sing from 4-8K. But that's not that often and certainly not worth the flybys and dangerous drivers coming out of the woodwork. I'm terrified of other drivers. I've already been warned by my insurance that they'll likely drop the car after I make a claim.
Appreciate 2
CamasM3e933147.50
DrFerry6728.50
      06-08-2022, 07:01 AM   #15
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Nice cars are a dime a dozen where I live. I don't think a 10 year old BMW is gonna make people street parking their Alpina B8 upset.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #16
bogotaM3
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E93

Garage List
2008 E93  [8.50]
Good question. I hardly ever get any reaction like these, unless I'm being a butthead to start with. Which sometimes I do, you know, just for the fun of it, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 08:20 AM   #17
bogotaM3
Colombia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
I'm more of the cruise around and listen to audiobooks in the right lane kinda driver in any car I'm in. I cover Portland to British Columbia for work so I can't afford to drive like a douche bag and get tickets. The only time I really do anything noteworthy is in a tunnel; open the exhaust cutouts and downshift to let it sing from 4-8K. But that's not that often and certainly not worth the flybys and dangerous drivers coming out of the woodwork. I'm terrified of other drivers. I've already been warned by my insurance that they'll likely drop the car after I make a claim.
totally agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 08:21 AM   #18
bogotaM3
Colombia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93  [8.50]

Good question
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #19
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

I live in a city with 65k people. Nobody knows what an M car is, so I enjoy zero flack from anyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #20
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
People are sensitive more so than ever; they even get offended by start ups. S65 is a shouty engine.

Quote:
      07-26-2022, 09:10 AM   #21
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
R u sure u guys aren't doing anything to provoke the other drivers?
I'm with this guy. Never had a problem with other drivers when I was in my M3. But it wasn't obnoxiously loud and I generally don't drive like a clown, particularly in traffic. OTOH, I see plenty of young guys where the e9x M3 is clearly their first nice car, proceed to fit the loudest most annoying exhaust possible, and proceed to just lay on the throttle as they circle a local cars and coffee. I don't see this nearly as much with other brands of car or models of BMW.

When I do see people being aggressive with me, it's when I'm in my slowest car, which is a high mileage Hyundai Tucson. When I'm in any of the other cars (VW, Jeep, Porsche), I never experience nearly the same aggressive behaviors.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #22
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I'm with this guy. Never had a problem with other drivers when I was in my M3. But it wasn't obnoxiously loud and I generally don't drive like a clown, particularly in traffic. OTOH, I see plenty of young guys where the e9x M3 is clearly their first nice car, proceed to fit the loudest most annoying exhaust possible, and proceed to just lay on the throttle as they circle a local cars and coffee. I don't see this nearly as much with other brands of car or models of BMW.

When I do see people being aggressive with me, it's when I'm in my slowest car, which is a high mileage Hyundai Tucson. When I'm in any of the other cars (VW, Jeep, Porsche), I never experience nearly the same aggressive behaviors.
Good input, though your Tucson observation has me scratching my head. Some of this is probably regional. In the Pacific Northwest the obnoxious mod crowd is more into Subarus and refurbished older Hondas and the BMW crowd is I'd say more reserved and perhaps there's more animosity out here to the brand. I lived in the Philly area 20 years ago and at the time I was struck by how many 'nicer' cars were on the road compared to my home in the PNW - BMWs and Porsche were much more common on the roads there at the time I thought.

Anyway, appreciate everyone's input. I've removed the M3 badge from my trunk because it was original and faded and am living with just the Roundel for the moment as a sociological experiment with an N of 1. It seems to have cut down on the jackassery, FWIW.

Cheers, everyone.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50