BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

For those who own/have owned M perf exhaust

For anyone who currently has or has owned an MPE, do you at all find yourself wanting more volume?

Im running a Dinan X pipe and Akra rear and am thinking of going back to stock x pipe and MPE, but am worried it will not be audible enough.

Just looking for opinions especially if youve had a catless set up...but all would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

I dont have M exhaust. but have heard it.

its a killer tone, but the volume isn't enough for me. Usually people who get the exhaust are not going to for loud sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I dont have M exhaust. but have heard it.

its a killer tone, but the volume isn't enough for me. Usually people who get the exhaust are not going to for loud sound.
I dont need LOUD, but I do want to be able to easily hear it without making a lot of effort. Ive had a lot of exhaust set ups, and the loud ones are great at times but my favorite has been the dinan/akra. Its not nearly the loudest but sounds great and is certainly loud enough when I want it to be. Thats what Im hoping the MPE can be.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
For anyone who currently has or has owned an MPE, do you at all find yourself wanting more volume?

Im running a Dinan X pipe and Akra rear and am thinking of going back to stock x pipe and MPE, but am worried it will not be audible enough.

Just looking for opinions especially if youve had a catless set up...but all would be appreciated.
I currently the E92 M3 with MPE. IMO MPE is the best of both worlds! Not overbearing at low RPMs and simply screams over 7000 rpm! If you are trying to decide if it's the right muffler, try to get a test drive with one installed. Simply listening to a clip online or having someone rev the engine in a parking lot will not reveal its potential. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

The Oem. exhaust mod. sounds better and louder without any drone.
Check out this page and see & heare MPE vs Oem.exhaust mod.
>>>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884005
I'm curious to hear what you guys think about it ..........

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Yes, but then you have to deal with the stock tips, and the OEM exhaust mod has bascially zero resale. Again, I have has a catless eienmann race set up, and dont need that loud. Rather have audible when I want and quiet when I want.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but then you have to deal with the stock tips, and the OEM exhaust mod has bascially zero resale. Again, I have has a catless eienmann race set up, and dont need that loud. Rather have audible when I want and quiet when I want.
Several members with Oem.exhaust mod. have also mod. the exhaust tips with the tips from Eas ...Ess

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Several members with Oem.exhaust mod. have also mod. the exhaust tips with the tips from Eas ...Ess
Yea, but I just dont want to do that. Factoring in the price charged for the OEM mod, the tips and labor for the tips, not something I want to pay.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

MPE and some test pipes are pretty much perfect for me...the test pipes add a tiny bit of volume and lower the tone considerably in daily driving, but above 4K rpm are as loud as you would want. The MPE by itself was on the quiet side but still nice once you got into the upper rpm's.

I ended up just biting the bullet on the MPE since I figured when I went to resell it, I'd get a good portion of what I paid for it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yea, but I just dont want to do that. Factoring in the price charged for the OEM mod, the tips and labor for the tips, not something I want to pay.
Agreed...for me it was $ 10-12 USD,check out this page with pics and DIY video of my post>>>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
with the OEM mod and tips you should still be under 1 grand.

the MPE you are around 3k new

for sure theres a savings with OEM mod, but maybe you will not like the sound. or be to loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

The signature "Hollow Tune" of the MPE around the 3900-4900rpm region at about 70% engine load is something I have not heard of before.

I have used Custom Mufflers in my 2008, heard Akra Evo and AA in Person and finally used MPE in my 2013.

The hollow tune that MPE produces just sounds more like an exotic. Cold start in the basement is loud.

MPE is quiet cruising around that cops don't even take a 2nd look at me. Its acceptably loud in the 4000-6000rpm++ range. Having said that, I am considering adding a Xpipe with twin HFC and Resonators to increase by 1-2 db if there is no rasp or drone.

Sound is very subjective. We all don't share the same taste. When I heard all 4 exhaust, I felt MPE is something I would pay $3000 for. For other people, this figure would vary.

Hear the exhaust in person and decide for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #13
AJ_MO
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93

I have it! Not to happy, I want it much louder after 5000rpm. Because when hammering it doesn't sound much louder than stock.

'08 M3 E93 DCT - Individual Diopsidschwarz/Palladium -19" 220 Gunmetal - 12mm H&R spacers - H&R Swaybars - BMC filter - M Performance grills - ECU - Zimmerann Rotors/Brembo Sport Pads
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #14
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:

You get the best of both world - exotic sound and not too loud - and it complements the character of the car. It should be the standard item on the ///3. I have no regrets whatsoever. You floor it and it wake up to put a smile on your face. Love it.
      10-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
that's a personal opinion and I don't agree whatsoever except for the fact that it may be louder.

ive heard both and the MPE has a much more distinct tone related to the Inconel material.

IMO MPE >>>>>>>>>>> OEM exhaust mod.

That's a personal opinion, but what is not a personal opinion is that they do not really sound alike at all.

I love my MPE, and wouldn't replace it with anything else.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #16
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
with the OEM mod and tips you should still be under 1 grand.

the MPE you are around 3k new

for sure theres a savings with OEM mod, but maybe you will not like the sound. or be to loud.
the resale value of an OEM modded exhaust is basically zero.

the resale value of an MPE is excellent, especially if you buy used.

another factor to consider...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
the resale value of an OEM modded exhaust is basically zero.

the resale value of an MPE is excellent, especially if you buy used.

another factor to consider...
Yes and no....losing money you will always with the MPE and buy a new one..we all know the price !
For me the Oem.exhaust mod. was actualy almost for free,because i did the mod. by myself,the costs of the 2.5 Inch full stainless steel pipe was $ 12 USD and that was it...and one day of work !
For me it was not a question of $$$$, it was the exhaust sound and thats very personal,so i did the mod. and was thinking when i not like it..i throw it with the garbage ,and will see what to do after.
But no way man,the first time i was so curious to hear it after the day of work....and yes it was wow !!!....just perfect,and under load it was even better , and very importent was....no drone by the work of the special design by BMW...the Helmholtz chambers of the Oem exhaust .
But whe all know sound is very personal,but everyone who has heard my car is very impressed by it ,and that's the Oem. exhaust mod. for sure !

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Resale value of the oem mod certainly is low but then again it only costs a few hundred dollars in the first place...

OP if you are in any way concerned about the MPE not being loud enough then I would just stay away. Most can agree the MPE sounds great but loud it certainly is not...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
Repoman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10+

I have it and I like it. Not too loud, not too quiet.

I like that it is not too much louder than stock at idle. It just has a different rumble. At the high rpms, it sounds like an exotic until the motor drowns out the exhaust.

It's the gentleman's exhaust....lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
///M Performance exhaust with test pipes will give you plenty of attention when starting up or when the valet pulls up your car. It's more than subtle, but not in your face. But when you get on it- watch out, it will scream.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

The MPE was the first aftermarket exhaust I put on a couple of years ago. It was a nice upgrade but it took me a few more exhausts to fully appreciate it. After trying a few others and getting that out of my system, the MPE went back on and has stayed on. I appreciate the balance it has with the intake, no drone and its refined unique hollow growl. No test pipes here, it just sounds so good with the stock setup that nothing else tempts me...and I'm weak and easily tempted. It's not going to be loud enough for everyone and trying to make some power with it increases rasp to some degree from what I hear. Tough call if you'd be totally satisfied with it, you know how these things are...
Appreciate 0