BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #23
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I think it would be best to find a lawyer who practices in the same jurisdiction as the court that you will be appearing for trial. It might even be worth a day off to travel back up there and talk to a lawyer face-to-face before the trial. In fact, do this as soon as possible.

I actually believe the OP was going 122 mph, not 122 over, as 187 mph on public highways is a bit hard to believe, even if the top speed limiter were removed.

Cheers.
      05-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #24
DutchManticore
Private
Rep
Drives: None yet

You're doing 122mph or 200km/h on public roads and you're still bitching about not having to pay the ticket?

Seriously. You're whats wrong with carlovers. I bet you're one of those people who keeps bitching about the police fining him as well?

Don't drive cars like a M3 if you can't control your right foot or if the brain connected to the right foot isn't capable of responsibility.

You chose to drive fast so then why aren't you a man when it comes to paying the consequences.. in this case a fine (with which you should regard yourself lucky with crazy speeds like that on public roads because it could've been worse. Just try to answer this to yourself truthfully: Can you sleep at night knowing you killed a person just because you had to have your little fun?)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #25
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManticore View Post
You're doing 122mph or 200km/h on public roads and you're still bitching about not having to pay the ticket?
You chose to drive fast then why be a man and pay the consequences.. in this case a fine.
No, I think he's just scared it will be more than a fine. Like lose driving privileges and possibly even jail.

I agree though. Be responsible and accept the consequences. However, consequences vary so don't just roll over without having your day in court.

Cheers.
      05-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #26
DutchManticore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
No, I think he's just scared it will be more than a fine. Like lose driving privileges and possibly even jail.

I agree though. Be responsible and accept the consequences. However, consequences vary so don't just roll over without having your day in court.

Cheers.
I disagree. If you're a complete ass on the road (read: drive 122mph where 60 is allowed) then you deserve to be treated like a complete ass by the judge and HAVE your driving priviledges removed.

Easy way to avoid it? It's called the "think-before-you-do"-concept.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #27
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

I'm surprised the cop left you with just a ticket and not a day at the slammer. I'm sure I'm on this topic like everyone else but just slow down and enjoy your car in good health. Get a lawyer because I'm sure the cop and the judge are foaming at the mouth waiting for your court date.
      05-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #28
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Guys he is asking for help, not harsh comments or criticism. Now that he got the ticket, what can he do.

Dude, search online, there are some lawyers that you hire online that helps you with this stuff. Your driving record is very important, i hope you had no tickets in the past 3 years. You will definately loose the licence for 6 months, pay about ~3K to the lawyers and ~2K. my friend had a ticket with 99 on 55 limit in DC. He had to appear in court twice. It was his first so no jail time or public service needed.

That turnpike is very tempting,

wish you the best of luck

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #29
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually believe the OP was going 122 mph, not 122 over, as 187 mph on public highways is a bit hard to believe, even if the top speed limiter were removed.

Cheers.
I think its duable in I-95 when the road is empty, i remember i drove down to miami and at several times, i didnt see a car for 5 miles. I dont suggest you to try it, but its certainly duable. If it ever crosses your mind, make sure you get a "free pass for out of jail card" with you

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #30
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadd View Post
Hi guys,

this is what happened. I was on my way to DC, coming back from NY. I was doing 122 mph over the usual 65, and guess what, i got pulled over. Now im in trouble.I have a court date june the 9th and it SUCKS. I m gonna have to drive all the way there just for that court thing.

If you re from NJ, could you please tell me if you had a similar experience there?? Whats the worse that can happen to you? How are the rules in NJ, very strict? I am from VA and cops dont joke here.

Also do you know a good lawyer for this type of matters. I have to get one from there.

Thank you so much for your precious help, Take care
Before you take advice from any of these "jailhouse lawyers" on the board, first find out if VA & NJ reciprocate. If they do, call a lawyer. If they dont, just pay the fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #31
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManticore View Post
I disagree. If you're a complete ass on the road (read: drive 122mph where 60 is allowed) then you deserve to be treated like a complete ass by the judge and HAVE your driving priviledges removed.

Easy way to avoid it? It's called the "think-before-you-do"-concept.
I think that if you did a poll, you would find that the majority (I'll go with 80% as a guess) of people have had their M3 over 100 mph at some point. In a situation with no one else around on an isolated stretch of expressway or even a rural highway, it's endangering no one but the driver.

Does this describe the OP's situation? Maybe not. I have no idea what the drive through NJ between NY and DC is like and whether there are some desolate stretches. But I think it is a bit harsh to be so over the top with your lecturing and judgement of him.

And irrespective of that, who here has never sped before? No one. So we all cheat the law to serve our own best interests. What you deem to be "safe speeding" might totally horrify or terrify some other drivers. And any speeding has some potential to cause an accident. So let's perhaps cut the guy some slack, at least while we do not have more details.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #32
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

It is irritating when people criticize another person for speeding. Yes, speeding can be dangerous in traffic but we do not know the circumstances of the OP. It could have been early in the AM ot late in the PM. The road could have been empty, he could have been travelling down a hill or just got irritated by someone doing 65 in the fast lane and wanted to blow off some steam. Yes, people say take the car to the track which is all well and good but c'mon people. 122 is fast but how many of you have hit 3 digits without realizing. So stop trying to be high and mighty. He got caught now he has to deal with that but I would much prefer someone travelling 100 in the fast lane in a car that can do it than a minivan doing 70 in the fast lane while talking on the phone. I am sure phones have lead to more accidents than excessive speed so I guess that all you phone lovers had better pull over at the rest stops to talk on your phone while I stop at the track. Thats enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #33
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I think that if you did a poll, you would find that the majority (I'll go with 80% as a guess) of people have had their M3 over 100 mph at some point.
Certainly, not I.

Quote:
...And any driving has some potential to cause an accident...
Fixed.

Cheers.
      05-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #34
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: OGV

Honestly, I hope you are joking. Seriously.

If you were going that fast, on any road, you deserve to lose your license if not immediately go to jail, period. Obviously you can't comprehend the responsibility that comes with the privilege.

End of story.

EDIT: Ok, so I just realized maybe he wasn't doing 187 mph, because that seems a little nuts. Even so, OP you are definitely going to lose driving privileges in NJ for at least a month. I believe doubling the posted speed limit is immediate jail time in NJ.

Definitely get a lawyer.

Last edited by zuggerat89; 05-26-2010 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #35
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
I think that if you did a poll, you would find that the majority (I'll go with 80% as a guess) of people have had their M3 over 100 mph at some point. In a situation with no one else around on an isolated stretch of expressway or even a rural highway, it's endangering no one but the driver.

Does this describe the OP's situation? Maybe not. I have no idea what the drive through NJ between NY and DC is like and whether there are some desolate stretches. But I think it is a bit harsh to be so over the top with your lecturing and judgement of him.

And irrespective of that, who here has never sped before? No one. So we all cheat the law to serve our own best interests. What you deem to be "safe speeding" might totally horrify or terrify some other drivers. And any speeding has some potential to cause an accident. So let's perhaps cut the guy some slack, at least while we do not have more details.

+1 Agreed. Tell Dutchmanicure (or what ever his name is) to back to doing the dishes. We have m3's...We all speed!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #36
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

try this lawyer. Martin Kron - he was an ex-traffic court judge. He has helped me and many friends in the past. Google his number. GL
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #37
DutchManticore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
+1 Agreed. Tell Dutchmanicure (or what ever his name is) to back to doing the dishes. We have m3's...We all speed!
Yeah you're so cool with your fancy car. Thinking that speeding is fun and that accidents will just happen to other people. I'll tell you.. nobody gets in the car and goes "Oh damn I'm going to have an accident today.. better stick to the speedlimit."

It isn't called an accident for nothing.
My uncle used to share your sentiment... until he lost control in his Ferrari F355 and killed a mother and son who were walking on the sidewalk doing nothing wrong. The road was completely empty and it was around 9o'clock at night so he thought he could safely take it a little over the speedlimit. (He did 60 where 42 was allowed). They died because my uncle just had to have his little fun.

Since then I've become an enourmous petrolhead .. but with sense. Don't risk your own and definently not someone elses life for fun.

I say again... before you speed on public roads again... can you sleep at night knowing that you killed a person with your car? My uncle couldn't...

Edit://
Oh and I stand baffled by your incredibly intelligent joke. Manicure instead of Manticore. That's truly epic.
I realize now I'm currently engaged in a discussion with someone who obliviously has a superior intellect and sense of humour. Only now do I realize what dark hopeless abyss I've thrown myself into by saying that someone who drives 122MPH where 60MPH is allowed is a dangerous maniac.

Last edited by DutchManticore; 05-26-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #38
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Well honestly, i think we are talking about NJ turnpike here where there is 8 lanes of trafic each way and if you are walking in any part of it, i wouldnt call that an accident, its more of a suicide. Trust me, if you are walking and got hit by 65mph or 165mph you will die either way. at 165, at least it might be quicker and less painful.

Its true that he might have an accident and hit another vehicle (unless its empty road, which at late night it is), kill himself, etc, but again i have seen people crash on the exact same road because the car ran over a debris, destroy the tire, loose control and actually slam onto the cement block of road separator on the left hand side.

Shit will happen no matter what unless you are carefull. Our cars are very agile and responsive upto 160 mph, and give the drive the ultimate control, if you are not talking on the phone, watching tv (i do that sometimes ), texting etc on the road, and you have an empty road ahead of you, you might as well floor it. [also keep in mind that rapid acceletation for show off causes more tail movements than a slow acceleration to 120, therefore it needs quicker and better response of steering. turn DSC off, and floor it in first gear, you might be under the speed limit, but you certainly need more focus, and concentration to do that than you need to at 120.

Your uncle could have hit those people at 45mph and still would have killed them. I dont want to be harsh but lets face the truth, his speed didnt kill them, his carelessness killed them. IMO you should return your car and exchange it with toyota hybrid since they are not capable of going more than 90mph, and even getting there should take about a minute or 2. It would make you feel safe about your own driving.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #39
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Certainly, not I.
Fair enough, and I am sure you are not the only one. But certainly you have sped (and do speed, I'd go as far to say), and I'll bet your max was more than 10 mph over - perhaps as much as 20 mph over if I were forced to guess.

And I still think that 80% is not a bad guess for a forum full of M3 and automotive enthusiasts in general.

Quote:
Fixed.
True, driving itself has risk. My point is that any speeding is increasing the level of risk.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #40
MaverickNemesis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Your Girl Crazy

well if it was a state trooper in either NJ or NY you would have had your car taken away, your license and been in jail. Im actually shocked you didnt. At the very least I think you will lose your license with a huge fine. my suggestion is to get a lawyer and hopefully the cop goes light on you but i doubt it since he gave you the break of not taking away your vehicle and/or jail. Sell the m3...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #41
MaverickNemesis
Captain
Rep

30 over the limit is 5 points on your license... now almost 60 over should at least be 10 and for your license suspended or revoked whats the limit, 11 in 18 month span i believe? So hopefully your record is clean and you havent had any more points on your license.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #42
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickNemesis View Post
well if it was a state trooper in either NJ or NY you would have had your car taken away, your license and been in jail. Im actually shocked you didnt. At the very least I think you will lose your license with a huge fine. my suggestion is to get a lawyer and hopefully the cop goes light on you but i doubt it since he gave you the break of not taking away your vehicle and/or jail. DO NOT Sell the m3...
Agreee, except the tiny edit.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #43
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
I think its duable in I-95 when the road is empty, i remember i drove down to miami and at several times, i didnt see a car for 5 miles. I dont suggest you to try it, but its certainly duable. If it ever crosses your mind, make sure you get a "free pass for out of jail card" with you
It's spelled "doable"
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #44
MaverickNemesis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
Agreee, except the tiny edit.

lol i know but if they take your license you wont have anything but a show car
Appreciate 0