BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Smartest way to upgrade from 335 to M3?

Ill try to keep this brief.

I own a 335i, which was paid for in full. I want to trade/sell this in order to finance an (preferably new) '09 or '10 M3. What is the smartest (cheapest) way for me to do this?

Anyone reading this can give me a response based on ^ this information alone. But I will give more details below.

----------------------------------

I plan on using the invoice pricing available online to price out the M3. I will then add $300 to this offer and fax it to various dealers around the country to see who will accept the offer or work with it. I will be doing Performance Center delivery, so dealer location will not matter, at least in that respect.

Now comes the issue of trading/selling my 335. With the above information, would it be smarter to trade to BMW, Carmax, or sell private party? As far as I know, a private party sale is always the preferable route, but maybe I am wrong.

That should cover the basic info. I will most likely be asking more questions as the thread progresses.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Smartest = cheapest for me.

Do European Delivery and then Performance Delivery, that will save you an additional $3000 to $5000 (depending on options) than buying the car from the lot even at that $300 over invoice that you want to offer and even after buying the plane ticket to Munich.

You do not even have to stay in Munich overnight if you want to keep the costs down... just a round trip plane ticket, a couple of taxi rides and meals. Get there, pick up the car, drive it to the drop off point, get back to the airport and fly back. Done in a day if you really want it.

You will be smacked at trade in or at private sale regardless, so whatever you can do to minimize the current economic reality of sinking car resale values you must do, IMO. And that's only possible thru European Delivery.

You car is paid off, so you have time to wait by ordering the car if you do it right. And you will have time to get the best price possible both ways, as you do not have to take whatever M3 the dealer has in its lot as close as possible in options to your liking and you will have time to negotiate a private sell or trade in without any time pressures.

At the end you can have the cheapest M3 that you can afford, exactly configured as you want and with the greatest buying experience that you can imagine.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 Coupe

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm waiting until July to place an ED order for a 2010 e92 M3. I'll be putting my 335i on the market about a month before I'm expected to sign papers.

The only thing I'm still unsure about is how long I'll be staying in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

Do European Delivery and then Performance Delivery, that will save you an additional $3000 to $5000 (depending on options) than buying the car from the lot even at that $300 over invoice that you want to offer and even after buying the plane ticket to Munich.

You do not even have to stay in Munich overnight if you want to keep the costs down... just a round trip plane ticket, a couple of taxi rides and meals. Get there, pick up the car, drive it to the drop off point, get back to the airport and fly back. Done in a day if you really want it.

You will be smacked at trade in or at private sale regardless, so whatever you can do to minimize the current economic reality of sinking car resale values you must do, IMO. And that's only possible thru European Delivery.

You car is paid off, so you have time to wait by ordering the car if you do it right. And you will have time to get the best price possible both ways, as you do not have to take whatever M3 the dealer has in its lot as close as possible in options to your liking and you will have time to negotiate a private sell or trade in without any time pressures.

At the end you can have the cheapest M3 that you can afford, exactly configured as you want and with the greatest buying experience that you can imagine.
Well said Technic! Although I can't imagine flying out to Munich and back in the same day!!
      04-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Well said Technic! Although I can't imagine flying out to Munich and back in the same day!!
What about in one day and two nights?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

great info, which is very much appreciated.

i will most likely be ordering the car, and i will DEFINITELY be up for a 1 or 2 day ED trip, especially if it will save me some money. i have not flown in years...any idea what a ballpark price would be for a roundtrip ticket, or do they vary too much to even answer that?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suareezay View Post
any idea what a ballpark price would be for a roundtrip ticket, or do they vary too much to even answer that?

We are flying from Nuremberg to Boston in June (RT) for about $480 pp, July pricing was going to the mid $700s pp (high season).

Using Munich would be similar pricing for our trip, but it would depend on where you are coming from in the US for total costs obviously. Airfare has gotten rather cheap lately!
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

sweet!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
We are flying from Nuremberg to Boston in June (RT) for about $480 pp, July pricing was going to the mid $700s pp (high season).
That's incredible! We bought fares 6 weeks too early, $1,100 TX to Paris, then another flight to Nürnberg.

To OP: you have some good ideas and advice. Do ED, offer invoice +$500 (I'm paying more in TX and because I did deal in Jan).

Try and sell the car privately but you can use Carmax to get an estimate.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

Whoops, I just answered my own question - savings via the ED program can be seen here:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erYourBMW.aspx

Last edited by WangTa; 04-23-2009 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

i will most likely be ordering the car, and i will DEFINITELY be up for a 1 or 2 day ED trip, especially if it will save me some money. i have not flown in years...any idea what a ballpark price would be for a roundtrip ticket, or do they vary too much to even answer that?

Depends on when you go. If you going during the colder months then its pretty cheap.

I was lucky, i was able to book a flight from Chicago to Munich for $474, that includes taxes. I leave next month.
      04-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

great info guys. and congrats on your ED trips, i bet you cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
great info guys. and congrats on your ED trips, i bet you cant wait!
Good luck - and yes, I have a countdown ticker on my iPhone I am paying quite a bit more than some are getting - esp on '08s (but I wanted '09 iDrive)- but no matter, b'day present and drive around Bayern then -> S. France - what's not to like! Though overall I'm getting a bit over 14% off MSRP, not too shabby.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

14%? great deal. Driving through Europe is going to be a blast. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Sell your car and do a $1k over ED invoice..... you are way protected that way.....
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Sell your car and do a $1k over ED invoice..... you are way protected that way.....
what do you mean by 'protected'? making sure i get the best price?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #17
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3 w/DCT

Just left the local stealership and the CA told me M's were not eligible for the discounted ED price. What gives.....

Any truth to this or a typical CA trying to BS somebody? Has something changed?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #18
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
PM Irv Robinson apparently hes knowledgeable on european delivery and also check out http://www.edbmw.com/main/ My next purchase will be european delivery. Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoE46 View Post
Just left the local stealership and the CA told me M's were not eligible for the discounted ED price. What gives.....

BS.

Go to another dealer, you do not want to negotiate with this particular dealer. They are going to get you somehow, somewhere in the process.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoE46 View Post

definitely go to another dealer. once of the dealers i was talking to when i bought my 335 tried to actually charge me for performance center delivery. i was like no thanks, thats free, brobocop. i swear some SA's just make things up.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys 335i View Post
PM Irv Robinson apparently hes knowledgeable on european delivery and also check out http://www.edbmw.com/main/ My next purchase will be european delivery. Good Luck
will do. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #22
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

i have another question for you guys. assuming i sell my car private party or to carmax, and since i own my car (no financing) and will therefore be getting the value in full, what would be the smartest way to finance the new car? should i put the entire amount i receive from the 335 sale down on it, should i put even more than that down, or possibly put that money into a HYS account and put down as little as possible, or something else?
Appreciate 0