BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Win 10 and update problems

I've tried to figure this out but have not found a solution as of yet. My computer keeps trying to update Win 10 and it continually gets hung up on the process and then restores to the previous version. Tried in safe mode as well. This has been going on for a few days now.
I've ran a couple of virus and malware checks. A bit frustrating, so was wondering if anyone here might have an insight to this.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
976
Rep
4,288
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, B8.5 A4
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Most of the big updates are available for download manually. You can download it and run it yourself. Look up the KB # and go download and run it yourself.

Sometimes what happens is Windows keeps trying to apply an update and it fails .. then it goes into this endless loop of trying and failing. Usually a later update patches it but it may not be available yet or it cant get past the earlier update to get the later update. It can be super frustrating.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 1
jgoens3326.00

      02-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
nars3000
Major
United_States
403
Rep
1,188
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Oakland, CA

iTrader: (15)

Check the Windows Update logs:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pdate-log-file

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-version-1607

Also check the System and Application event logs in Event Viewer (eventvwr), and see if you're able to trace any errors.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3326.00

      02-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Check the Windows Update logs:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pdate-log-file

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-version-1607

Also check the System and Application event logs in Event Viewer (eventvwr), and see if you're able to trace any errors.
When I try to run the windowsupdate.log I get the error message that the file cannot be found and to check spelling.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
bimmer456
Colonel
921
Rep
2,837
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I've tried to figure this out but have not found a solution as of yet. My computer keeps trying to update Win 10 and it continually gets hung up on the process and then restores to the previous version. Tried in safe mode as well. This has been going on for a few days now.
I've ran a couple of virus and malware checks. A bit frustrating, so was wondering if anyone here might have an insight to this.
You may have to started over and do a clean install. There are youtube videos on how to do this and if you previously upgraded for free you should be able to do it without having to pay.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3326.00

      02-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
nars3000
Major
United_States
403
Rep
1,188
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Oakland, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
When I try to run the windowsupdate.log I get the error message that the file cannot be found and to check spelling.
Press [Windows key + R] to open the RUN dialog

Type in [%windir%\Windowsupdate.log] and press ENTER

---------------

If you receive a response like the one below, you'll need to run [Get-WindowsUpdateLog] in Powershell, then that will generate a log file in %userprofile%\Desktop\WindowsUpdate.log

Quote:
Windows Update logs are now generated using ETW (Event Tracing for Windows).
Please run the Get-WindowsUpdateLog PowerShell command to convert ETW traces into a readable WindowsUpdate.log.


For more information, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=518345

Here's a log snippet of what the WindowsUpdate.log file is supposed to show:

Quote:
[agent]Regulation: {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D} - Update 657DA4FF-AAEA-4370-BF2E-083C87CD28F5 is PerUpdate" regulated and CANNOT download. Sequence 4529 vs AcceptRate 0."
2018/02/25 22:22:55.1925720 3012 130692 DownloadManager [0]0BC4.1FE84::02/25/2018-22:22:55.192 [agent]Update 657DA4FF-AAEA-4370-BF2E-083C87CD28F5.201 is not allowed to download due to service regulation.
2018/02/25 22:22:55.1926042 3012 133680 Handler [0]0BC4.20A30::02/25/2018-22:22:55.192 [tobemoved]CAppxStreamingDataSource::RemoveAllBlocksAndResetC achedFileSize setting C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cec5dd348 34fecc3059461087aba95d8\b300ab3f15bd7138dc59c215c8 c18d85de1aa16e_73 file size to 0
2018/02/25 22:22:55.1929910 3012 130692 DownloadManager [0]0BC4.1FE84::02/25/2018-22:22:55.192 [agent]Regulation: {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D} - Update 657DA4FF-AAEA-4370-BF2E-083C87CD28F5 is PerUpdate" regulated and CANNOT download. Sequence 4529 vs AcceptRate 0."
2018/02/25 22:22:55.1929934 3012 130692 DownloadManager [0]0BC4.1FE84::02/25/2018-22:22:55.192 [agent]Dynamic download data fetcher for ServiceId 7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D does not exist.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3326.00

      02-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
este
N54 to N55
este's Avatar
24
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: No Curves Capital aka FL

iTrader: (0)

If it gets hung on a certain percentage or 0% just restart using the power button. Even though it says not to restart during the update process that can help.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3326.00

      02-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
You may have to started over and do a clean install. There are youtube videos on how to do this and if you previously upgraded for free you should be able to do it without having to pay.
I know how to do that but really don't want to as I have software that is a PITA to re-load and all the files to put back on. It's just a big job that takes hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Press [Windows key + R] to open the RUN dialog

Type in [%windir%\Windowsupdate.log] and press ENTER

---------------

If you receive a response like the one below, you'll need to run [Get-WindowsUpdateLog] in Powershell, then that will generate a log file in %userprofile%\Desktop\WindowsUpdate.log




Here's a log snippet of what the WindowsUpdate.log file is supposed to show:
I will look into this, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by este View Post
If it gets hung on a certain percentage or 0% just restart using the power button. Even though it says not to restart during the update process that can help.
That's what I have been doing daily.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #9
nars3000
Major
United_States
403
Rep
1,188
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Oakland, CA

iTrader: (15)

It may be easier to check System Settings -> Windows Update for the following:

1. Update history

* Check what is pending, and again, check for any errors

2. If errors are found, select Troubleshoot -> Windows Update -> Run the troubleshooter

3. Check for updates and restart system manually
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
It may be easier to check System Settings -> Windows Update for the following:

1. Update history

* Check what is pending, and again, check for any errors

2. If errors are found, select Troubleshoot -> Windows Update -> Run the troubleshooter

3. Check for updates and restart system manually
I found the file that it failed to install 4 times today--KB4077525. I downloaded it am am trying to install it manually. Seems to be installing very slowly.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Most of the big updates are available for download manually. You can download it and run it yourself. Look up the KB # and go download and run it yourself.

Sometimes what happens is Windows keeps trying to apply an update and it fails .. then it goes into this endless loop of trying and failing. Usually a later update patches it but it may not be available yet or it cant get past the earlier update to get the later update. It can be super frustrating.
I did this and it took the update--But I still think the computer wants to update Win 10 to a newer version. Got hung up again yesterday and I did a manual restart. We will see if the new KB update puts that off for the time being.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
nars3000
Major
United_States
403
Rep
1,188
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Oakland, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I did this and it took the update--But I still think the computer wants to update Win 10 to a newer version. Got hung up again yesterday and I did a manual restart. We will see if the new KB update puts that off for the time being.
It may be due to the known issue listed in KB4077525.

Quote:
Because of an issue that affects some versions of antivirus software, this fix applies only to computers on which the antivirus ISV updated the ALLOW REGKEY.

Contact your antivirus manufacturer to verify that their software is compatible and that they have set the following REGKEY on the computer:

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat"

Value Name="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"

Type="REG_DWORD”

Data="0x00000000”
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #13
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
It may be due to the known issue listed in KB4077525.
Yeah, I am going in the win 10 update loop--just did the restart and reset to earlier version of windows. I use McAfee antivirus...maybe if I disable it will work? I can try to contact McAfee but doubt they will help..typically tech companies blame someone else.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 02:05 AM   #14
nars3000
Major
United_States
403
Rep
1,188
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Oakland, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Yeah, I am going in the win 10 update loop--just did the restart and reset to earlier version of windows. I use McAfee antivirus...maybe if I disable it will work? I can try to contact McAfee but doubt they will help..typically tech companies blame someone else.
Check your Update History in System Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update -> Update history

If it shows [Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709], then it is a known issue with the Fall Creators Update build 1709.

Resolution options:

1. Follow Microsoft Support recommendations -- https://partnersupport.microsoft.com...b-bfe5de075b90

2. Download and run the Fall Creators Update manually -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

3. If option 2 fails, download the Windows 10 installation media from the same link above and perform a full installation using the latest build available.

Last edited by nars3000; 02-28-2018 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Added 3rd option
Appreciate 1
jgoens3326.00

      02-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #15
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Check your Update History in System Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update -> Update history

If it shows [Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709], then it is a known issue with the Fall Creators Update build 1709.

Resolution options:

1. Follow Microsoft Support recommendations -- https://partnersupport.microsoft.com...b-bfe5de075b90

2. Download and run the Fall Creators Update manually -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

3. If option 2 fails, download the Windows 10 installation media from the same link above and perform a full installation using the latest build available.
As of right now I am showing the computer is up to date. I never got a fail in updating the software version, yet when it was doing updates and locking up it would revert back to restoring previous windows.

I have this Windows 10 update assistant on my desktop--I uninstalled it and it appeared again today.

I did try to contact McAfee about the antivirus and guess what they said? You got it from ATT so you have to contact them. I uninstalled that and tried to update last night and the same thing happened, so I reinstalled it.

I will wait and see if it tries to update today--thanks for the advice.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #16
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Well, it's still doing the loop. The more I research the more I wonder if I should uninstall one of the updates from a few days ago.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Well, it's still doing the loop. The more I research the more I wonder if I should uninstall one of the updates from a few days ago.
Last night it was able to update the Win 10 system. Not sure why it worked but it did and now I am running creators. Hopefully the loops have ended. Thanks for all the feedback here.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #18
der_user
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Also a solution could be to download the media creation tool, create a bootable usb device and start from this to choose a system update.Also important is a correct date and time.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:02 AM   #19
Bav///Man
New Member
3
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

so this sounds off the wall but totally fixed a similar issue I had.

I have a couple year old hand me down Gateway and there is an issue with one of the latest Windows updates and the wireless card installed. Remove the wireless card and voila - install completes successfully.

I am in a situation where I can wire without issue but perhaps you can install the card again after the update? Either way, physically removing the card did the trick.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3326.00

      03-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #20
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3326
Rep
5,447
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bav///Man View Post
so this sounds off the wall but totally fixed a similar issue I had.

I have a couple year old hand me down Gateway and there is an issue with one of the latest Windows updates and the wireless card installed. Remove the wireless card and voila - install completes successfully.

I am in a situation where I can wire without issue but perhaps you can install the card again after the update? Either way, physically removing the card did the trick.
It finally worked--but what is interesting is my computer is a gateway. About 7 years old.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST