BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Wolf 335
Lieutenant Colonel
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
635
Rep
1,982
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA - Greater Toronto Area

iTrader: (0)

Laptop Spec's - Which is better?

I was wondering if someone could provide some feedback on what would be a better option to go with when comparing the two laptops listed below.

Things to note: This laptop's use will orient mainly around internet browsing and music/movie downloading, along with general MS Office use. This will not be a gaming laptop.

Link to the same specs I posted below: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/compar...button_laptops

Thank you.

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 1354
Size:  71.5 KB
Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 1355
Size:  53.6 KB
Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 1378
Size:  59.1 KB
Name:  Capture4.JPG
Views: 1356
Size:  56.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
770
Rep
1,944
Posts

Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas Area (McKinney), TX

iTrader: (0)

Absolutely go with the i5! Unless you run graphically intense programs, then go with the AMD, with the graphics card.
Appreciate 1
MGM135is859.50

      12-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
ccdre
First Lieutenant
ccdre's Avatar
United_States
186
Rep
350
Posts

Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (1)

If these are your only 2 options, I'd go with the VivoBook - Intel processor and weighs less than half of the 1st AMD equipped laptop.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
jpnh
Brigadier General
jpnh's Avatar
1387
Rep
3,401
Posts

Drives: NA
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Both are bare bones entry level machines

The lesser expensive box with the AMD processor is the better value....and you get an extra USB port

Both have slow as shit HDD's but you also get more RAM with the AMD box

The AMD has 4 cores to the Intel's 2 AND a lot more l2 cache which improves response time

Last edited by jpnh; 12-19-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
Wolf 335
Lieutenant Colonel
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
635
Rep
1,982
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA - Greater Toronto Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
Absolutely go with the i5! Unless you run graphically intense programs, then go with the AMD, with the graphics card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
If these are your only 2 options, I'd go with the VivoBook - Intel processor and weighs less than half of the 1st AMD equipped laptop.
I think the addition of the Optical drive contributes to the weight.

Could you guys elaborate a bit on why i5 over A10?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
R3dliner's Avatar
United_States
628
Rep
1,588
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NYC

iTrader: (5)

Go with the i5. Amd is sub par with there processors.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
jpnh
Brigadier General
jpnh's Avatar
1387
Rep
3,401
Posts

Drives: NA
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...-Gen-A10-9600P
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
Wolf 335
Lieutenant Colonel
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
635
Rep
1,982
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA - Greater Toronto Area

iTrader: (0)

I saw that comparison earlier.

From what I can see there they tested I5-6200U where as the one I got listed is i5-6198DU.

Regardless looking at the site wouldn't you say AMD A10-9800P outperforms i5-6200U
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1178
Rep
4,540
Posts

Drives: E90 & E92 with 487 ftlbs of tq
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
I wouldn't buy any computer without a SSD in this day and age. But I would go with the intel lappy.
__________________
E92 ACF ST 6466 + Meth Motiv / E70 #1 JBD / E70 #2 JBD / E90 PTF retired

Originally Posted by TheAxiom
FYI - I don't drive hard at all. So I'm not interested in more clamping force when I won't use it. Even on my car, I take it easy. It's just too loud to be enjoyable.
Appreciate 2
gtron624.50
GuidoK891.00

      12-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
186
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Shelby Township, MI

iTrader: (0)

My current computer I built has an i5 CPU. However, I would recommend the one with the AMD. Based on what you are doing with it, the additional USB port and 50% more RAM at a $50 less price will be more beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
Lt. Leary
New Member
2
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

I would go for the AMD, but I first would check if the hdd is easily swappable. You can turn that $500 laptop into an $800 laptop by switching out the hard drive to a SSD. I just upgraded my wife's old laptop this weekend, and it went from a slow POS to a speed demon!
Appreciate 1
GuidoK891.00

      01-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #12
Joe240
Captain
Joe240's Avatar
United_States
462
Rep
836
Posts

Drives: 2017 m240i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pensacola

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 m240xi  [5.00]
Go with the i5. Intel runs cooler and uses less energy (usually means charge lasts longer, but maybe by 10minutes or maybe by 30minutes). It's a laptop so heat can cause a ton of issues like a failed hard drive, CPU fan (saw it happen a lot) and in rare instances the CPU itself.

I love AMD, but regardless what the add says, it doesn't support DDR4 yet. Their new processor architecture will (Zen platform). Also, the "graphics card" mentioned by someone else is false. The A10 is an APU with a couple more graphics cores on it. It does not have a dedicated graphics card. Also, the extra l2 cache is good, but when on a 5400rpm hard drive it means absolutely nothing.

Expertise: Worked Geek Squad for 5 years fixing computers and selling new ones. Plus I've built a countless number of desktops and upgraded them and laptops more than I care to count.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 02:01 AM   #13
dzvero
Major
339
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2015 M$4 F82
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

If the weight is not a factor I will go with AMD
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 02:03 AM   #14
dzvero
Major
339
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2015 M$4 F82
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Leary View Post
I would go for the AMD, but I first would check if the hdd is easily swappable. You can turn that $500 laptop into an $800 laptop by switching out the hard drive to a SSD. I just upgraded my wife's old laptop this weekend, and it went from a slow POS to a speed demon!
With regular hdd you can always swap with ssd but installing windows can be an issue
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #15
zx10guy
Lieutenant Colonel
1430
Rep
1,725
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
With regular hdd you can always swap with ssd but installing windows can be an issue
It's a non issue if you buy some SSDs which come with cloning software or if you already have cloning software like Acropolis.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #16
PlasticinePorter
New Member
5
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Which Computer to Choose

I think I would go with the Intel one, especially if you only need it for light duty tasks like MS Office and downloading music. And, like others said, you can always do your own upgrades to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #17
dzvero
Major
339
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2015 M$4 F82
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-15...100319608.html
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #18
dzvero
Major
339
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2015 M$4 F82
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
It's a non issue if you buy some SSDs which come with cloning software or if you already have cloning software like Acropolis.
Win is hardware locked and might not work with other hdd
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 02:06 AM   #19
zx10guy
Lieutenant Colonel
1430
Rep
1,725
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Win is hardware locked and might not work with other hdd
Incorrect. I've done it numerous times. As long as the motherboard and various components like NICs and GPUs (if valid) are the same, it will work. I've done it personally on Win 7 and Win 8.1.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:41 AM   #20
Joe240
Captain
Joe240's Avatar
United_States
462
Rep
836
Posts

Drives: 2017 m240i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pensacola

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 m240xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Win is hardware locked and might not work with other hdd
The only thing hardware locked is the factory OS recovery discs. They look for specific hardware to verify it is the correct OS for their laptop. This is done because it doesn't prompt for a product key because of the mass license they purchase from Microsoft. Guaranteed the hard drive isn't one of the checked items because those go bad much quicker than say something specific to the model like a motherboard. A normal copy of windows that comes with a product key only checks for a storage medium to put the files onto during the install.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 05:17 AM   #21
dzvero
Major
339
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2015 M$4 F82
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
The only thing hardware locked is the factory OS recovery discs. They look for specific hardware to verify it is the correct OS for their laptop. This is done because it doesn't prompt for a product key because of the mass license they purchase from Microsoft. Guaranteed the hard drive isn't one of the checked items because those go bad much quicker than say something specific to the model like a motherboard. A normal copy of windows that comes with a product key only checks for a storage medium to put the files onto during the install.
Have you ever replaced a hdd? Win complains and asks you if you changed it and wants to register again online
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #22
Joe240
Captain
Joe240's Avatar
United_States
462
Rep
836
Posts

Drives: 2017 m240i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pensacola

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 m240xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Have you ever replaced a hdd? Win complains and asks you if you changed it and wants to register again online
Lmao, yes I have replaced more hard drives than the average user. My comment above said that I worked for geek squad for 5 years. I've obviously replaced more than just hard drives in a computer. Again, the only OS that complains is manufacturer OS recovery discs because it checks for specific hardware, such as a motherboard because the manufacturer pays for specific licenses for their machines. They don't want people using their recovery discs to install windows on any machine they want because that's illegal and I'm sure that it's in the contract they have with Microsoft that they have to have some kind of check because it doesn't ask for a product key to be input during the install. Also, the recovery image has drivers specific to the model it was created for so it may not be 100% "plug and play" for the average user who may not know how to retrieve drivers.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the only thing that would cause windows to "complain" about a hard drive is if it couldn't recognize it. This however is usually because the motherboard doesn't support the size of the hard drive (usually not a problem now days). This would be due to a 2TB limit on the SATA controller, or a BIOS limitation (usually fixed with a BIOS update). The only time it is due to Windows is if you're running an old version of Windows (XP 32-bit I believe, think 64-bit fixed the issue) where windows doesn't support over 2TB storage media. On either of the laptops in question though, Windows 10 recovery media wouldn't care if it was a HDD, SSD, or over 2TB in size and neither would the hardware.

Last edited by Joe240; 01-04-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST