BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

05-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Calling Out All Frozen Paint Owners....

frozen paint of M3s have been out for a while now. i think it's time to hear from actual owners and their experiences.

this all stems from this thread....
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...1#post14004618

where this member said this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
Color choice is a matter of personal opinion and the M3 seems to look good or better in just about every color. I for one, just dont "get" the whole frozen paint thing and think it will be a maintenance nightmare. At about 10K for the option, it seems way over priced to me. For those who love it - it might be a bargain and I am glad you have the option of getting what you want.
my response was this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post

1) the option to have frozen paint is roughly 5k.

2) maintenance for a frozen paint job isn't a nightmare. unless you find regular wash/detailing for your car a nightmare. it's easier to take care of than a gloss job because you don't have to wax it. yes you should take care of bug/bird crap....but no more than a regular paint job. BMW only makes a big deal out of it because there are people who let that stuff damage a regular paint job, which you can buff out...problem is with the frozen paint job, the damage isn't that easy to fix. i don't think they want the headache of owners coming into dealerships griping about the paint....when they didn't follow simple instructions to maintain it. that's the reason for them to get you to sign an agreement to it. (and , IMO, a unwise move on their part....since it lead people to get hysterical about it)

but, that's the only legitimate gripe about frozen paint. that the damage to it isn't easy to repair. BUT, repairing paint ISN'T maintaing it. thus i find your statement false.

this thread is NOT meant to dump on member cwg...but to put to rest the annoying myths about a Frozen Paint job. it does nothing for any of us here to have the wrong info continually circulating about.

so....i love to hear from any frozen paint owners out there ( OR anybody with an informed opinion)....let me know if i'm right about this. or wrong.

either way i don't care wether i'm right or wrong. i'm just sick of these myths that keep circulating about this. i, for one , would like to get some truth to this matter once and for all....

*edited for spelling and grammar*

Last edited by Hyperjack; 05-17-2013 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Chicken Little
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Frozen Black

I just took delivery of mine (frozen black) last week. So far I love it!

It doesn't scare me one bit infact from the few days of ownership I think it is going to be easier to maintain than my last one with regular paint.

The look of the car is fantastic. No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
I just took delivery of mine (frozen black) last week. So far I love it!

It doesn't scare me one bit infact from the few days of ownership I think it is going to be easier to maintain than my last one with regular paint.

The look of the car is fantastic. No regrets.
You don't seem like the 'the sky is falling' type. Post some pics.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP/E92/M3

I recently picked up my 2013 Frozen Grey model and absolutely love it! People who have never seen one in person tend to think it's matte, and it is NOT matte! It does have a clearcoat and some gloss to it.
I did experience a screw up when applying a paint protection film, but finally got that resolved with the Expel Stealth PPF; however, this PPF apparently doesn't work with all frozen colors.
I love the fact that I no longer have to clay bar, seal, and wax this car! Just a simple wash with a sheepskin mit, dry with a microfiber towel (no BMW it does NOT scratch the paint), and she's done!
I've received so many + comments and it's kinda funny how some people think I had her wrapped, or painted myself. A few have even said, "may I thouch it?"
Speaking of bird poop; I live/work right on the Coast and constantly have Seagulls flying about. Yesterday when leaving home for work I noticed a nasty gull poop on an a-pillar that I somehow missed when leaving work, so it had baked in the sun and sat all night! I said to myself, "Oh shit!" I grabbed my Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer and the poop actually came right off with NO etching, etc. I was SO freaking relieved!
And thank gawd I found a PPF that works with my color or else I'd have had a few nasty chips in the front and rear qtr panel already!
This appears to be the only concern with this type of paint because there is not a product avail that provides a perfect non-contrast visibility. I think grey, silver, bronze, and white is good-to-go with this film, but who knows.
I am one helluva happy camper!
Except now I'm pissed because I can't figure out how to reduce the size of my pics (especially my new wheels) even when taking pics at the lowest pixel setting. I'll figure it out one of these days and hopefully soon because I've got to get rid of my old 335xi profile pic!!!
      05-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

You're right that there is a lot of misinformation out there. This is due in part to ignorance amongst some in the community and BMW's unclear and conflicting messaging when they first released the frozen paint.

I can only speak for my frozen brilliant white, but it's easier to take care of than regular paint. There are several companies making detailing products tailored for matte finishes now, too. Other than the soft paint that is on all cars today due to strict environmental regulations, this paint is durable and easy to take care of. Just wash and go.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3 View Post
You're right that there is a lot of misinformation out there. This is due in part to ignorance amongst some in the community and BMW's unclear and conflicting messaging when they first released the frozen paint.

I can only speak for my frozen brilliant white, but it's easier to take care of than regular paint. There are several companies making detailing products tailored for matte finishes now, too. Other than the soft paint that is on all cars today due to strict environmental regulations, this paint is durable and easy to take care of. Just wash and go.
I am TOTALLY with this guy and want to see his car! I have yet to see a frozen "ANYTHING" round these parts save mine.
You going to Bimmerfest Saturday?
      05-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

I've had mine for 18 months and its no different than regular paint except the brand wax you use and no buffing. Looks cleaner when dirty than gloss and is unique. I bet with 40 of the frozen silvers out there I could drive it for a long time and never see another on on the road...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
I've had mine for 18 months and its no different than regular paint except the brand wax you use and no buffing. Looks cleaner when dirty than gloss and is unique. I bet with 40 of the frozen silvers out there I could drive it for a long time and never see another on on the road...
What would be seriously cool to know is exactly how many of our frozen colors were actually sold in the U.S.

I know 30 greys were in 2011, 40 silvers to follow, and 250 red, white, and blue's in 2013. But what about the bronze and black editions? I have a 2013 grey, so I wonder how often BMW allows these editions to be approved?

I just wanna know how many frozen grey M3s are in the U.S.!
      05-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway37 View Post
I am TOTALLY with this guy and want to see his car! I have yet to see a frozen "ANYTHING" round these parts save mine.
You going to Bimmerfest Saturday?
Wish I was going to Bimmerfest - was planning to but have too many other commitments this weekend. I grew up in Ventura Co. and have family all over OC, LA, Ventura so I'm down there semi-regularly. I'll be sure to reach out next time I'm down that way. Cheers.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Might try calling BMW USA customer relations... they can probably tell you. Someone suggested this to me, but I haven't tried yet. Would be cool to know.

I know for my color, BMW Individual would only approve 2 ///M cars in that color to be manufactured per month. I know of two others in the US, but there may be more in Frozen Brilliant White.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I know 30 greys were in 2011, 40 silvers to follow, and 250 red, white, and blue's in 2013. But what about the bronze and black editions? I have a 2013 grey, so I wonder how often BMW allows these editions to be approved?

for the frozen editions for 2013, that number is actually 150....not 250.

i think BMWNA is pretty strict as to how many they do and what type.

i put my build order in March with Franchesca over at Steve Thomas. i wanted to copy PrimoM3 at first...but was rejected. not just for Brilliant, but AW and Mineral too( the frozen versions).

i ended up with Frozen Grey...which is still pretty damn cool
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3 View Post
..... I'll be sure to reach out next time I'm down that way. Cheers.
please do...i'd love to see your car, as well. maybe we can get all the socal frozens to together, or at least meet at someone's established meet.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #13
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3

Absolutely true! I'm coming from a 2008 AW E92 and have spent a countless number of hours detailing the car and removing the swirls and random scratches from Autobahn driving...the Frozen Paint is sooo easy to care for and looks great even when "dirty"....like Primo said...wash, dry, go!

I had a discussion with one of our ///M-Flight members the other week about our Frozen Paint and he brought up that it must be a pain in the ass to take care of. I asked about where he got this info from and of course referenced a couple threads on this forum...then I asked him a couple questions...if a bird took a dump on your gloss painted M3...would you let it sit on the paint or would you remove it as quickly as possible? And of course he said he's remove it as quick as possible. Next question was..after a drive...you noticed quite a few bug splatter on your bumper and mirrors...would you let those sit there or would you clean it up as soon as convenient? Again...he said he'd clean it up as soon as possible. Then I said...hmmm sounds like the same thing us Frozen Paint owners will do.

I told him the only big differences do to further "care" for this type of paint is be more selective on my detailing products. There are quite a few detailing companies that make products specific to our paint and it's just as readily available as our gloss owner counterparts.
      05-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #14
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Guys. I am glad to hear the frozen paint is working out so well for you and that the maintenance is not an issue. From what I had read and discussions with my ca it seemed like it would be, obviously from the posts on this thread that's not the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

either way i don't care wether i'm right or wrong. i'm just sick of these myths that keep circulating about this. i, for one , would like to get some truth to this matter once and for all....
So ... you came to this board on the internet to find the answers???

Aren't there any local paint professionals in your area who can answer some of these questions?
      05-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

Just picked up my 2011 Frozen black two weeks ago and had the Nanolex treatment applied. Looks absolutely fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
DMW2315
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 | E46 M3 | E39 540i

Quote:

*edited for spelling and gramar*

Grammar
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
for the frozen editions for 2013, that number is actually 150....not 250.

i think BMWNA is pretty strict as to how many they do and what type.

i put my build order in March with Franchesca over at Steve Thomas. i wanted to copy PrimoM3 at first...but was rejected. not just for Brilliant, but AW and Mineral too( the frozen versions).

i ended up with Frozen Grey...which is still pretty damn cool
Franchesca sold me mine very end of Feb. You didn't know there was a frozen grey just sittin on their lot? I couldn't believe my luck, and now she's mine (not the girl)! Would be cool to see another in this area, but then again I'd prob think you had one of the limited 2011 versions as I sure can't tell the diff other than the interior.
      05-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post
Grammar
D'oh!

went back and fixed it....thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
....I did experience a screw up when applying a paint protection film, but finally got that resolved with the Expel Stealth PPF; however, this PPF apparently doesn't work with all frozen colors......
would like to hear more about your experiences with this film. i can't seem to find one that won't add a gloss look to my car or a matt one that will "dull" out the look even more , causing a strange contrasting look to the panels that are covered against the panels that aren't.

Quote:
..... Yesterday when leaving home for work I noticed a nasty gull poop on an a-pillar that I somehow missed when leaving work, so it had baked in the sun and sat all night! I said to myself, "Oh shit!" I grabbed my Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer and the poop actually came right off with NO etching, etc. I was SO freaking relieved!......
this is a very important point. BMW ,IMO, has kind of fanned the flames of hysteria with their precautionary statements of having to remove bug/bird messes immediately. what exactly is "immediately"? if it's in the context of a regular gloss car, it means as soon as you can get to it....not pull over to the side of the road and take car of it now!

it's good to hear that your experience is no different that what a regular car would be like.

plus, if you use product like swisswax , that adds another layer of protection from problems like that.

Quote:
.....Except now I'm pissed because I can't figure out how to reduce the size of my pics (especially my new wheels) even when taking pics at the lowest pixel setting. I'll figure it out one of these days and hopefully soon because I've got to get rid of my old 335xi profile pic!!!
i hope i understand your problem correctly....

if you want to reduce your photos in size so they'd be easier to post online....why not try photoshop? it's easy to change the dpi and the actual size with that program.

there are also other photo manipulation programs out there that are not as pricey as PS.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #21
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
So ... you came to this board on the internet to find the answers???

Aren't there any local paint professionals in your area who can answer some of these questions?
i could've done that...but chose to come here. this place is a wealth of information and a great collection of real life experiences. i've learned a hell of a lot in the short time i've been on here.

am i wrong in that assessment?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #22
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active View Post
Just picked up my 2011 Frozen black two weeks ago and had the Nanolex treatment applied. Looks absolutely fantastic!
just checked out their site, it's sounds pretty cool....however i can't seem to find what the U.S. pricing would be.

their link for anyone interested...

http://www.nanolex.de/en
Appreciate 0