BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #23
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNNATRAL View Post
how many miles have you had in an m6? an m5? hell, even an e92? your stuck with the old school e46 i donno why you are even talking..typical porsche owner...cocky as hell, think they know it all.
Stick to the subject. But ultimately you proved my point. Just talking out of your crack.

Last edited by MVF4Rrider; 02-06-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #24
Mhirsch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M5 - 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozap View Post
The thought of selling my car's been coming up hm...
Why don' t you just do both!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #25
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

I spent the last few days browsing and looking up the cars in this price range and couldn't find anything better than the current M3 in terms of looks (inside out.) Went to BMW dealer and checked out the 5, 6 series and their seats aren't good as the M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #26
UNNATRAL
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Stick to the subject. But ultimately you proved my point. Just talking out of your crack.
you JUST proved to everyone on this forum what an imbecile you are...you bring up "driving time" in the M6, yet when I do you say stick to the subject. haha Im done with you
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #27
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNNATRAL View Post
you JUST proved to everyone on this forum what an imbecile you are...you bring up "driving time" in the M6, yet when I do you say stick to the subject. haha Im done with you
No, I brought up YOUR driving time which you failed to answer. Which is an answer in itself. You LOSE!
      02-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #28
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

02-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #29
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

m3 all the way, the 6 series looks ugly IMO
      02-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #30
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I'd supercharge the M3. But then I'm not a big M6 fan.
+1

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #31
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Supercharged M6 maybe?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #32
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Wow, how is a M6 poserish? You can drive around for months without ever seeing one. They aren't common at all. Few would even know what it is. Bottom line it's a $100K car in which you can find pristine examples today for half that. Plus you can get a 6MT in it. It's big but so is the M3. But the motor alone is why you should want it. You have to do nothing to the motor, which keeps it reliable. At least it isn't confused as to what it is. It's a GT, not trying to pretend it's a sports car like the M3 pretends to be. There are some men who prefer bigger coupes as they don't want the sports car experience, which is why Porsche made the 928 so long ago. The M6 is by far the better autobahn missile, which is why it exists. That's what German businessmen want. It's masculine as hell. It's easy to be critical of the M6 styling, but the same can be said about the E92 M3. BMW is not making the most beautiful car these days. They are all over-styled. All the hard edge lines look like shit.
I don't normally agree with you, but that one was spot on. I've almost pulled the trigger on a couple of M6s. There is one at my local dealer that is discounted $20k. When I ran the lease numbers, the M6 typically only cost slightly more than my M3 lease.

The M3 is a much better track car, but if you don't track, the M6 is a superior car. I didn't get one because I thought it was a little to flashy and I love the way the e90 flies under the radar. It was a tough decision, though.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #33
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

When the new M6 first came out, I lusted after that car.....500hp V10 for $100K in a 2-door coupe.....wow. But now that's it's been a few years and i've been driving an E92 M3 for over a year, the lust has disappeared Although i do still think the M6 is a great car, I can only imagine how awesome a SC M3 would be, so that's what i would do if i could! just my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #34
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

If you are an NFL lineman or you will be driving on the Autobahn regularly I think the M6 is a better choice.

If the M3 is your get around town car and you want to spice it up, SC is a great way to go. Just remember, you are giving up that NA engine if you go that route.

One other note: I've had a lot of FI cars that were not FI from the factory. They have held up reasonably well but beating the snot out of them on the track always makes me a little nervous (whether warranted or not). No matter which way you slice it, you are making the car do something that the M engineers did not design it to do...
      02-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #35
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I agree with that as well. I enjoy tracking, so the e92 was the better choice for me, and the M6 is a little to flashy for my taste as well, but I would kill for that V10 engine! What a glorious beast! I'd take a NA V10 over a supercharged V8 any day.
I was at Summit Point raceway at the end of November tracking the e46 and there was a guy there rocking out his lightly modded (Dinan) M6. It sounded awesome. I wish he had got on it more though, I think he was either relatively new to the track or just taking it easy.

Short story, I would kill for that V10 too! lol Sounds amazing under full throttle!
      02-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Alright boys and girls stop fighting. Seeing as how I have both an M6 and an e92 M3 I feel like its my place to comment. The M6 is a big, classy, glorious car that commands the up most respect on the streets. The M6 is truly a car of envy in many peoples eyes. Its fast, has a V10 and the interior is full of real carbon fiber. Based on my description of the car it is designed with the poser in mind. The reality is the thing is heavy, doesnt turn and to be honest the SMG is the biggest POS tranny ever.

The e92 M3 on the other hand looks like a little 3 series chick car, they are a dime a dozen and owning an M3 is deff not a status symbol. The inside seems a little cheap and doesnt have the cool James Bond gadgets like a HUD or soft-close doors. The M3 is raw, crazy fast and will turn circles around the M6.

With that said I would look at it like this; The M6 is the car for the guy that is more about "show" and impressing people. Its a perfect car for the single guy going through a mid life crisis and feels the need to try to impress girls 20yrs younger than him. On the other hand the M3 is a monster. The M3 is for the guy that wants the best handling, fastest, most fun car by a long shot.

The M6 =poser, rapper, Paris Hilton etc.. The M3=the car for a TRUE driver

Also I have raced both cars against each other heads up and the M3 wins every time. Once the road starts to twist and turn the M3 checks out. Now if you came to me and said that I could have a DCT V10 M6 that would be a whole different story. The SMG and the V10 dont get along and the car just flat out sucks around town. (clunky POS)

The old body style M6 is just that, old. Sure you can find them for $50-60K with under 20k miles but incase you live under a rock the new body style 6 series is here. This takes me back to my main point, the M6 is a poser car and trying to "pose" in a dated car just doesnt make sense! haha
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #37
UNNATRAL
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Alright boys and girls stop fighting. Seeing as how I have both an M6 and an e92 M3 I feel like its my place to comment. The M6 is a big, classy, glorious car that commands the up most respect on the streets. The M6 is truly a car of envy in many peoples eyes. Its fast, has a V10 and the interior is full of real carbon fiber. Based on my description of the car it is designed with the poser in mind. The reality is the thing is heavy, doesnt turn and to be honest the SMG is the biggest POS tranny ever.

The e92 M3 on the other hand looks like a little 3 series chick car, they are a dime a dozen and owning an M3 is deff not a status symbol. The inside seems a little cheap and doesnt have the cool James Bond gadgets like a HUD or soft-close doors. The M3 is raw, crazy fast and will turn circles around the M6.

With that said I would look at it like this; The M6 is the car for the guy that is more about "show" and impressing people. Its a perfect car for the single guy going through a mid life crisis and feels the need to try to impress girls 20yrs younger than him. On the other hand the M3 is a monster. The M3 is for the guy that wants the best handling, fastest, most fun car by a long shot.

The M6 =poser, rapper, Paris Hilton etc.. The M3=the car for a TRUE driver

Also I have raced both cars against each other heads up and the M3 wins every time. Once the road starts to twist and turn the M3 checks out. Now if you came to me and said that I could have a DCT V10 M6 that would be a whole different story. The SMG and the V10 dont get along and the car just flat out sucks around town. (clunky POS)

The old body style M6 is just that, old. Sure you can find them for $50-60K with under 20k miles but incase you live under a rock the new body style 6 series is here. This takes me back to my main point, the M6 is a poser car and trying to "pose" in a dated car just doesnt make sense! haha

I loved your write up..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #38
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Agree with most of your writeup, but have trouble with this ...."The e92 M3 on the other hand looks like a little 3 series chick car, they are a dime a dozen " No way it looks like a chick car and they are not a dime a dozen where i'm at.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #39
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

+1, based on your review, why did you buy an M6?

EDIT: I totally agree with your view of the SMG. M5/M6 + DCT would be perfection!
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #40
phusion974
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: OE Tuned C63

The M6 is a great car. Cant beat that V10 sound.

I would rather go for the supercharged M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #41
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I own a non-SC 2009 M3 E92 6-MT and I've driven the M3, M5 and M6 back-to-back on VIR's full track. They're all great cars. The M3 easily out handles the other two on the corners and in the uphill esses, but the M6 will eat the other two up on the back straight. In a race the M6 would probably jump out front and it'd be tough to pass it in the twistees with the M3.

The SMG transmissions are truly clunky vs. the DCT. All the cars handle "well" but the M3 is top of the class. Brakes are good on all three. The M3 actually has the most trouble with power steering fluid boiling over, due to poor location of the reservoire. (Half the M3 needed new pumps in our two-day outing. This is a track-only problem).

I'd would and did pick the M3 out of the three, but if you were going to force me to add SC, then I'd go for the M6 or M5. I'd actually prefer a stroker M3, but the 30-grand add-on price isn't it worth to me personally. I'd actually get the M5 because it's got more room and not that much more weight. The only thing I'd be dissapointed in would be the SMG transmission, which I'd curse every day, although on the road it's not horrible. At full throttle it can get clunky. We drove a couple of hundred miles on the road from Spartanburg to VIR and I enjoyed my Interlagos Blue M5 a great deal.

Dave
      02-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #42
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep

The M6 was purchased a couple yrs ago and was more for the Mrs. than for me. She wanted a vert and I wanted a vert that I wouldnt be embarassed to drive. I showed her a pic of a white M6 vert and she had to have it. While I wanted a 6 speed she wanted an auto. So a vert M6 SMG was the perfect compromise. Prior to the M6 I had no interest in any M car as I had never had one. After spending quite some time with the M6 I grew fond of the M division. When the time came for another car I started looking M and the M3 was just what I wanted as it was amazingly fun to drive and made sense to own.

So yes I strongly feel the M6 is a poser car and you can call me a poser for owing one I dont care. The M3 also looks like a girly little chick car especially to someone who doesnt know/care about cars. After all its still a 3 series and down here in San Diego, CA these things are a dime a dozen. With that said the M3 will out preform the M6 in every way except curb appeal.

One last time...

M6=poser, chick, celeb, Paris Hilton M3=a smart individual that craves performance

Oh and for the guy that claims the M6 will pull the M3 on straights you are high. Stock for stock the 3 will pull on the 6 all day long.

ps the V10 does sound waaaay better!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #43
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Still don't see how you say the M3 is a "girly little chick car" I don't see it like that at all. And sorry you're in CA and they're a "dime a dozen" cause here in South Louisiana i can count on ONE hand how many E92 M3 coupes i've seen in TWO years.......i like that
Your other points i do agree on though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
The M6 was purchased a couple yrs ago and was more for the Mrs. than for me. She wanted a vert and I wanted a vert that I wouldnt be embarassed to drive. I showed her a pic of a white M6 vert and she had to have it. While I wanted a 6 speed she wanted an auto. So a vert M6 SMG was the perfect compromise. Prior to the M6 I had no interest in any M car as I had never had one. After spending quite some time with the M6 I grew fond of the M division. When the time came for another car I started looking M and the M3 was just what I wanted as it was amazingly fun to drive and made sense to own.

So yes I strongly feel the M6 is a poser car and you can call me a poser for owing one I dont care. The M3 also looks like a girly little chick car especially to someone who doesnt know/care about cars. After all its still a 3 series and down here in San Diego, CA these things are a dime a dozen. With that said the M3 will out preform the M6 in every way except curb appeal.

One last time...

M6=poser, chick, celeb, Paris Hilton M3=a smart individual that craves performance

Oh and for the guy that claims the M6 will pull the M3 on straights you are high. Stock for stock the 3 will pull on the 6 all day long.

ps the V10 does sound waaaay better!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #44
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep

The M3 looks like a 3 series does it not? Just like the VW jetta is a "girly" car the 3 series also looks "girly" Keep in mind i'm strictly talking about a stock M3. Once it gets the proper goodies, a nice drop/ wheels it does look a little more masculine. Again this is MY opinion and hey thats what this thread was all about; opinions as to which car was the better buy.

Oh and here in SD I see on average about 1 e92 M3 a day (other than mine) This car and body style is played out around here.

And trust me there is no reason to be "sorry" that I live in SD!
Appreciate 0