BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

01-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

intake power break down for MS

So seems there are many good reviews and dynos of the MS intake but was wondering what the break down in power is-
-the filter itself
-the scoops
-the elbow

I personally do not want scoops and I have the filter already. I think overall itr is good for 12-14hp but I am thinking the elbow is maybe only 4-5 of that or less. Anyone install and dyno without the scoops?

I don't want scoops as I live in extreme heat and drive at 8400 constantly and engine temps are well to the right consistently so I need every ounce of radiator exposed for cooling
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

it sounds good though but thats it...
      01-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I have nothing empircal to contribute to this discusison, though will merely say that I did

MS Stage II intake + MS pulley + ESS stage II tune + Akrapovic slip-on and the net effect was "wow the car is officially scary fast - any faster and I'd probably crash it."

The effects were certainly noticeable, and I love what they've done for the car's performance profile. The car has a whole new dimension to it torque-wise that as lacking previously. I suspect that the majority of the gains came from the tune, though I don't know for sure.

Other thoughts:
1. The car runs a bit hot in the summer time during routine driving. This occured post mods.

2. The intake requires intermittent maintenance - the various subjects come loose with time.

3. The idle appears to be a bit off - it will stall ~once a month on a cold start.
      01-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
Super Sic
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

One other thing to keep in mind is that the filter used in the MS Stage II Intake is different (bigger?) than the stand alone MS filter. Not sure if this makes a difference or not...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
I have nothing empircal to contribute to this discusison, though will merely say that I did

MS Stage II intake + MS pulley + ESS stage II tune + Akrapovic slip-on and the net effect was "wow the car is officially scary fast - any faster and I'd probably crash it."

The effects were certainly noticeable, and I love what they've done for the car's performance profile. The car has a whole new dimension to it torque-wise that as lacking previously. I suspect that the majority of the gains came from the tune, though I don't know for sure.

Other thoughts:
1. The car runs a bit hot in the summer time during routine driving. This occured post mods.

2. The intake requires intermittent maintenance - the various subjects come loose with time.

3. The idle appears to be a bit off - it will stall ~once a month on a cold start.
In response to your "other thoughts" i think that some thoughts are comflicting to the Stage 2 filter itself. I too have the Stage 2 filter + MS Pulley and the car started running slightly hotter after the Pulley's, not the filter. The stalling doesn't seem normal at all and I doubt the filter is making your car stall. You should get that checked out.
      01-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
In response to your "other thoughts" i think that some thoughts are comflicting to the Stage 2 filter itself. I too have the Stage 2 filter + MS Pulley and the car started running slightly hotter after the Pulley's, not the filter. The stalling doesn't seem normal at all and I doubt the filter is making your car stall. You should get that checked out.
Yeah, I agree that it is most likely the pulley. I read somewhere that a pulley can have this effect.

As for the idle, I believe that it is related to the tune. It only happens when the engine is very cold - a brief throttle blip will remedy the issue.
      01-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
There is not a single thread with thoughts on the breakdown of how the intake adds power. 12 hp seems to be the standard but not everyone wants to put scoops on for example. My friends had the same dilemma, were not interested in scoops and all of us have a green filter which leaves us buying the MS intake for only the new elbow. Is the elbow worth the bulk of the hp? if so how?

If not my guess is the filter is a good 5-6hp and elbow 5. Scoops 1
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

CA are extreme conditions? What is Africa or Dubai then, Hell)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sic
One other thing to keep in mind is that the filter used in the MS Stage II Intake is different (bigger?) than the stand alone MS filter. Not sure if this makes a difference or not...
Its all bs not worth it filter is all u need the rest is bling and marketing... Bmw built a good ass intake...

I bought the filter due to sound thats. It...

I suggest if anyone wants power delete the primary cat and tune and your good to go...
      01-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

MS elbow only fits a specially made MS filter. The filter that's designed for the elbow is different from the MS standard drop-in or any drop in. This makes it more difficult to test the individual components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
There is not a single thread with thoughts on the breakdown of how the intake adds power. 12 hp seems to be the standard but not everyone wants to put scoops on for example. My friends had the same dilemma, were not interested in scoops and all of us have a green filter which leaves us buying the MS intake for only the new elbow. Is the elbow worth the bulk of the hp? if so how?

If not my guess is the filter is a good 5-6hp and elbow 5. Scoops 1
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
Its all bs not worth it filter is all u need the rest is bling and marketing... Bmw built a good ass intake...

I bought the filter due to sound thats. It...

I suggest if anyone wants power delete the primary cat and tune and your good to go...
+1
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Filter only.