BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #23
TomBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F82 M4 ///DCT

What the hell dude, keep your M3 get like 20 Kijangs and hire a shitload of maids/drivers/cooks and hoes for that kind of money over there!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #24
firebolt105
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

I say go for the gts why not?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #25
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

What a joke. To the OP, u come here asking a stupid question about getting a GTS? Everybody and their mother knew the GTS version is out so why the hell did u get a "regular" M3? Or are u simply just trying to tell everyone "hey, I am rich too..."

Almost as dumb as the guy that asked "should I sell my M3 and get a Gallardo?"

The answer is "No, u should have bought a Veyron instead".

Last edited by WRXXX; 10-19-2011 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #26
ASGM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS VT2-600

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEI View Post
ruin an m3? by modding? really? wow like 90% of this forum's cars are messed up then..

EDIT: i do understand ur opinion on the respray though
I agree , modding doesnt ruin it ( if you do it right which is a personal decision though) i believe modding makes it more special .
      10-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #27
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Please don't buy the GTS and "mod the hell out of it" and "respray it black." You'll ruin a rare car. If you're determined to ruin a poor M3, at least do it to the base model.
Agreed completely. It's one thing to mod a regular car but this is a limited edition car that's already track tuned.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

How expensive are mods there? Seems like the GTS is $150k more expensive to buy. This, I assume, don't even include the hit you're getting when you're selling your M3.

You also said you're doing 2x/month track days, and thinking of converting this car to a track car.

Based on all this, assuming that mods still costs relatively similar to what we pay here in US, I'd say keep your M3, and mod it. If you're going to supercharge it, it doesn't really matter if you have the 4liter or 4.4liter engine. You'll still get shit load of power anyways.

I firmly believe that you can create something better than GTS yourself by spending that $150k+. You can even ship your M3 to IND and have them create a monster for you for a fraction of $150k+.
      10-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #29
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
IMO, if you do get the GTS, don't repaint. Might as well just mod your current car instead of making a rare car worth less.
i second this. mod the car you have. with the money you will save without getting into the gts you will have a car built to your standard, probably better than the gts, for less money. the point of the gts is that it is what it is and i wouldnt go mess with it much.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #30
iDRIFT
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Fast!

Either buy the gts and keep it stock , or ship ur car to IND and let them have fun
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #31
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Please don't buy the GTS and "mod the hell out of it" and "respray it black." You'll ruin a rare car. If you're determined to ruin a poor M3, at least do it to the base model.
Agreed completely. It's one thing to mod a regular car but this is a limited edition car that's already track tuned.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #32
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Why don't you mod the hell out of your normal m3 you have right now and make it way better than the gts as your track car. Then if you really want the gts buy that and use it as your dd?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #33
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Obviously you should keep your M3 and buy 2 GTS's. Not sure why this is a tough decision.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #34
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Guys, the op will not buy a gts or mod the crap out of it or "respray" it. Dude is simply trying to flaunt it. Hence why he specifically stated the cost of each car in the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #35
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASGM3 View Post
I agree , modding doesnt ruin it ( if you do it right which is a personal decision though) i believe modding makes it more special .
The GTS is a rare car, almost kind of a collectors car... Modding it and turning into something else would defeat the purpose of buying the GTS in the first place. How would his "modded to hell" GTS be any different from someone else's modded regular M3?

Just mod the hell out of a normal M3. You can save tons of money and probably come up with a better product for what you're looking for instead of ruining a collectors car IMO.
      10-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #36
ClutchThese
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

^^^I believe him, yo. I don't know why, but I believe him.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #37
2m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3, 1988 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEI View Post
so... i bought my m3 3mths ago. today i saw an m3 GTS at the dealership and cant stop thinking about it...

so let you all know first.. with either car i will mod the hell out of it as in everything possible.. so should i keep my m3 or switch to a gts?

here are prices for indonesia

E92 m3 coupe: 215,000 usd
M3 GTS: 363,600 usd
Buy both
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #38
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Everybody's opinion on mods differ. In my opinion most of the mods for these cars are not backed by any sort of engineering expertise as compared to what the factory possesses, and are therefore likely to make the car worse. For example, 95% of suspension mods fall into this category, let's drop the car an inch, change the offset by an inch, but no where has anyone made the thousands of calculations and adjustments that the stock car came with. Or, my personal favorite -- BMW engineers spend development hours eliminating 10ths of a second in brake light response time, and what do owners do? Paint the housings black! In the end the modded car will perform and measure worse, and you've paid additional money to undo the R&D cost you already paid for in the purchase price of the car! I think of this as a "stupid tax" as you pay twice for an objectively worse result, but of course, everybody's different.

This is further compounded by the GTS, which represents BMW's finest engineering effort for this chassis without the restrictions posed by cost and everyday drive-ability that affect the base model. There are basically zero mods on the market that will improve a GTS. So if you're going to "mod the hell out of it", you really are ruining both an engineering achievement and a rare collector's car.
in my opinion you are wrong. Like any mass produced product, engineers must balance requirements, technology, and cost. the marketing and business arm of an auto manufacturer also weigh heavily on what can and can't be done. a sport luxury car that is street driven such as the M3 has to feel sporty but also not feel too harsh hence the compromise on the suspension. An aftermarket suspension manufacturer doesn't have the same constraints and can develop a product focused on a very specific purpose such as handling on a smooth track. If I am correct, I think the GTS actually uses H&R suspension and akrapovic exhaust. The M3 GT4 car uses the same aftermarket suppliers. As another example Porsche uses Manthey racing as their factory backed team for the endurance races at the Nürburgring. This same aftermarket tuner has won 5 of the last 6 N24 races and is key in helping Porsche develop their GT cars including the 4.0L head design used in the latest street GT3 RS 4.0

tuners help keep the ball rolling and bring about innovation. naturally there are some duds out there that actually hurt performance, but I think the market will naturally weed them out. Even if the "mod" is only for aesthetics and there is a demand for it why not?

To OP, go for it! sounds like you already decided on it anyways. I would say just in case something comes down the road that you like more to just make sure you can undo whatever you are going to change on the GTS. for instance, matte black wrap on the orange paint instead of respray probably would look super hot.
      10-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #39
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
in my opinion you are wrong. Like any mass produced product, engineers must balance requirements, technology, and cost. the marketing and business arm of an auto manufacturer also weigh heavily on what can and can't be done. a sport luxury car that is street driven such as the M3 has to feel sporty but also not feel too harsh hence the compromise on the suspension. An aftermarket suspension manufacturer doesn't have the same constraints and can develop a product focused on a very specific purpose such as handling on a smooth track. If I am correct, I think the GTS actually uses H&R suspension and akrapovic exhaust. The M3 GT4 car uses the same aftermarket suppliers. As another example Porsche uses Manthey racing as their factory backed team for the endurance races at the Nürburgring. This same aftermarket tuner has won 5 of the last 6 N24 races and is key in helping Porsche develop their GT cars including the 4.0L head design used in the latest street GT3 RS 4.0

tuners help keep the ball rolling and bring about innovation. naturally there are some duds out there that actually hurt performance, but I think the market will naturally weed them out. Even if the "mod" is only for aesthetics and there is a demand for it why not?

To OP, go for it! sounds like you already decided on it anyways. I would say just in case something comes down the road that you like more to just make sure you can undo whatever you are going to change on the GTS. for instance, matte black wrap on the orange paint instead of respray probably would look super hot.
Incorrect-the GTS has the BMW performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #40
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just mod your m3.
      10-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #41
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Lolz, wish I could ask this kind of question. If you already have another car you can use as a daily driver, go for the GTS. Seems like money ain't the issue, so why not?

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #42
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

The GTS is an awesome car. I've driven one on the track and its WOW. no creature comforts but it seems that this is not your only car anyway right? (I used to roll with one of the Sukharto's in College). I would totally get the GTS and not mod it at all. However, if what you are after is more HP, then don't get the GTS, keep your M3 and slap on an ESS 625 kit, SST coil-overs and you're done .......And you'll still have money left over for some hoes, a trip to the Maldives, back to Jakarta, another trip to the Maldives.....and more hoes when you get back!!!! Haha!!!
      10-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #43
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

What's the point of getting the GTS if you're going to remove a lot of the GTS modifications to add your own? If you want another car to mod, just get another base model and mod it the way the want. IMHO, the GTS is for people that want a dedicated track car, but don't want to mod it themselves. Basically a factory modded car.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #44
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Everything the OP said was reasonable to some extent and I would definetly say do it even if you plan to mod it BUT NOT if you are going to put a supercharger on it!

I cannot think of a bigger waste of money than buying a gts and supercharing it. IMO that is the best part of the car and the most unique part. You cannot get a 4.4 litre M tuned s65 anywhere. Some strokers on the market are ok but are not this engine.

Once a supercharger is on it than any of the cool features are no different than a regular s65.

It probably would be a lot harder to supercharge the gts due to lack of tuners who have really done it and lack of availability. The tune would need to be totally different and would be easier to find tuners for the regular s65.
Appreciate 0