BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

07-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
varsity
Private
Rep
Drives: white car, gray car, blue car

Z4 35i v. M3 Coupe

The current incentives on the Z4 make it hard to ignore. Usually I'd never consider one - I don't really like convertibles - but the cost to lease is over $9k cheaper than an M3 coupe over 24 months at today's rates.

On paper the look comparable - torque, weight, manual trans, etc. Obviously the M3 has more horsepower and motorsports-hardened parts. The Z4's roof is moot for me since it would always stay up. Z4 has better fuel economy.

For me, this is a car that would basically never go to the track, and get driven every day on my 50-mile roundtrip commute. I want a manual trans and something entertaining. I have a 135 coupe now which I like, but am ready for something new. Space isn't really a concern since it would be a third car - I also have an SUV.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

What the.. you really can't cross shop these.. they are completely different cars.

Z4: two seater, turbo
M3: four seater, NA

Forget the specs, the feel of the two cars is going to be drastically different.. nevermind the powerplant, the geometry is completely different.

Since the convertible is useless to you, IMO it would be more of an annoyance than anything. Also ignore the fuel economy thing, that's not a reason to cross shop two sports cars. I'd go M3 personally based on you not liking verts.. dunno tho.
      07-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

There is no comparison between a Z4 and an M3 in terms of performance. However, the Z4 is really hot! My wife is dying for me to get her one!

If you are just gonna cruise around town, put the top down and enjoy the good weather, then the Z4 may be a viable option for you, especially for less money.

I wish they made an ///M version of it.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
That is a pretty significant price point difference per year. Agree with the posters above that the M3 and Z4 are completely different cars.

But with the money you save being its a 3rd car, I honestly think the Z4 might be the better option. As a third car the Z4 is pretty sick and I would bet you might put the top down on more than a few occasions. Open air in the cool evenings makes for some great driving enjoyment. For 325 a month less than the M3, that is a pretty good deal and the Z4 is gorgeous.

That being said, the M3 is wicked fun too but in a completely different way. It sounds like to me that you want to be frugal being its a third car. As a third car, I think the Z4 may better fit what you are looking for. M3 is a damn good daily driver and weekend track car. It doesn't sound like you will be doing either of those with the car so I suggest the Z4. And who knows, you may love dropping the top.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
There is no comparison between a Z4 and an M3 in terms of performance. However, the Z4 is really hot! My wife is dying for me to get her one!

If you are just gonna cruise around town, put the top down and enjoy the good weather, then the Z4 may be a viable option for you, especially for less money.

I wish they made an ///M version of it.

-SZ
i heard they probably will...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
varsity
Private
Rep
Drives: white car, gray car, blue car

These are good points.

The other car is my wife's MB E350 coupe, and my Cayenne Turbo S. So we already have plenty of practicality - I figure for variety's sake the third car can been a two seater. If I went for an M3 coupe, we'd have two 2-door, four-seat, roughly-same-size, modern German coupes.

I'd like a 911, but the price point is substantially higher. Cayman is in the price range, but I'm not that enthralled in it as a street car, and it doesn't have this crazy lease residual. Evora smells like a model rocket. Hence Z4.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsity View Post
These are good points.

The other car is my wife's MB E350 coupe, and my Cayenne Turbo S. So we already have plenty of practicality - I figure for variety's sake the third car can been a two seater. If I went for an M3 coupe, we'd have two 2-door, four-seat, roughly-same-size, modern German coupes.

I'd like a 911, but the price point is substantially higher. Cayman is in the price range, but I'm not that enthralled in it as a street car, and it doesn't have this crazy lease residual. Evora smells like a model rocket. Hence Z4.
Well you could get a normal sub and not a super car suv and then get whatever you want. I was interested in this until you posted your other cars. You don't care about mpg and you obviously love speed and fast cars....what does that point to?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

Get the Z4 and drop the roof once in a while

Plus you can tune that engine....small cars with a lot of torque are a JOY daily driver, the power is more pronounced. If you were into tracking often, then the M3 is the better choice...but on the streets, the Z4 would be more fun IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Mason3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E92 M3 and '12 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [9.34]
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
That Z4 35is is NO JOKE. It's fast. Even un-tuned, it's fast. Played around with one and it is not to be dismissed!
Akrapovic Evolution
Appreciate 0