BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #309
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

GIF
Attached Images

Last edited by M3 Number 86; 04-11-2016 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #310
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Save your money. It won't do a thing for you.
I thought it was just the DCT cooler that was a waste?

My car is overheating where it normally shouldn't, and it's not like I suddenly became 1000x better a driver. The OEM radiator is 127k miles old - I figure that it's just aged out.

I can maybe do 1 or 2 hot laps in a row before the car pulls the redline in on me, forcing me to short-shift on the main straight coming out of sunset at BW. Also, it forces me to keep the car in 4th where I would normally drop down to 3rd, which sucks.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #311
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Do you think that a radiator could be a solution to your cooking problem? Or is the problem more complicated than a better radiator?

I guess what I'm asking is, does a good enough radiator simply not exist? Or does the cooling system as a whole need upgrading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I thought it was just the DCT cooler that was a waste?

My car is overheating where it normally shouldn't, and it's not like I suddenly became 1000x better a driver. The OEM radiator is 127k miles old - I figure that it's just aged out.

I can maybe do 1 or 2 hot laps in a row before the car pulls the redline in on me, forcing me to short-shift on the main straight coming out of sunset at BW. Also, it forces me to keep the car in 4th where I would normally drop down to 3rd, which sucks.
I have now done all the possible upgrades and have tons of AIM data that conclusively establish one thing...THEY ALL SUCK for track use!

I have changed out the stock oil cooler (M24), radiator (CSF) and DCT cooler (CSF). When I compare AIM data from the same tracks on very similar outside temp days (within 2 degrees) I am finding that the stock units all run 1-2 degrees cooler than these "upgraded" units. I will create a separate thread showing all the data but have just not had a chance to do so yet.

Most recently I swapped out my PS reservoir for the 1M version. After one session at Big Willow yesterday I checked and it was spraying fluid all over. So, I threw a sweatband over it...exactly what I was hoping to avoid when I made the switch.

So frustrated with all these "upgrades".

The good news is I ran a new pb yesterday of 1:29.09 in the first session after upping my rear spring rates and adding an RD Sport front sway bar
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #312
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am finding that the stock units all run 1-2 degrees cooler than these "upgraded" units.

Most recently I swapped out my PS reservoir for the 1M version. After one session at Big Willow yesterday I checked and it was spraying fluid all over. So, I threw a sweatband over it...exactly what I was hoping to avoid when I made the switch.

The good news is I ran a new pb yesterday of 1:29.09 in the first session after upping my rear spring rates and adding an RD Sport front sway bar
That sucks! So these guys didn't think anyone who bought them would be datalogging to compare and just sold them or just thought it's aftermarket it should work better!

LOL at the 1m ps upgrade - doesn't it have a small bleeder to bottle section?

What spring rates are you running front/rear if you don't mind me asking. My family sedan is too sluggish in the transitions.....
      04-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #313
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i think the 1m reservoir is sealed, which causes the same pressure that makes a mess in our cars to leak. except, it doesn't leak out of the vent, it leaks out of the hose connections. at least this is what i've been told.
i've used an old sock and zip tie since day one and haven't had an incident besides a dirty sock.
i have also been told that a power steering cooler combats the probability of this happening. makes sense- less heat, less pressure. i'd still use a sock.
      04-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #314
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
I have now done all the possible upgrades and have tons of AIM data that conclusively establish one thing...THEY ALL SUCK for track use!

I have changed out the stock oil cooler (M24), radiator (CSF) and DCT cooler (CSF). When I compare AIM data from the same tracks on very similar outside temp days (within 2 degrees) I am finding that the stock units all run 1-2 degrees cooler than these "upgraded" units. I will create a separate thread showing all the data but have just not had a chance to do so yet.

So frustrated with all these "upgrades".

Good to know.

Not to be argumentative, but this is the first post I've seen where the other coolers are now worthless, too. I had heard about the CSF DCT cooler not having any benefit, but now the radiator and oil coolers too? I have a vested interest as I'm running a CSF radiator and an Alekshop oil cooler.

At least you have some data. Do you have any oil and coolant numbers for 72*F ambient temps on track? Saturday at BW AiM says I was seeing Max oil 248*F and max coolant 208*F

I also did the 1M power steering coolant mod, but with one "mild" track day on street tires I wasn't seeing any problems. I'm anxious to run the car in 100*F heat on r-comps and see how it does.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #315
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i'm sure he has the data. i don't know okusa, but i've met him at the track and have had brief conversations with him. he's not the type of guy to make statements like that without some solid data. that being said, i'm sure he has it. just yesterday we were at the same track event. the morning temperature was less than 72, so i know he has the data.

keep in mind, he and dogbone are running hard, and with supercharged cars, and are experienced drivers. they are going to be putting the car through the paces a bit harder than the average guys like myself.
      04-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #316
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Is this thread the only means of communicating who will be at what track day? Should we set up a shared google docs so that people at the same event are more inclined to seek out and meet other m3post members?
      04-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #317
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
My oil temps are hitting 280 regularly, and I kept losing everything after 7k RPM because the car would protect itself. Getting a CSF Radiator installed before Spring Mountain! Hope that solves this.
The CSF radiator worked for me after many other failed attempts to solve overheating issues - http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ating+in+Texas
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #318
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i'm sure he has the data. i don't know okusa, but i've met him at the track and have had brief conversations with him. he's not the type of guy to make statements like that without some solid data. that being said, i'm sure he has it. just yesterday we were at the same track event. the morning temperature was less than 72, so i know he has the data.

keep in mind, he and dogbone are running hard, and with supercharged cars, and are experienced drivers. they are going to be putting the car through the paces a bit harder than the average guys like myself.
Oh wait, these are forced induction cars?

Well then.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #319
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
Is this thread the only means of communicating who will be at what track day? Should we set up a shared google docs so that people at the same event are more inclined to seek out and meet other m3post members?
i'm a simple kind of guy. if i happen to see someone from the forum, i'll come say hi if they are going to do a quick shout out about going. i probably wouldn't visit a separate app to check and see who is going to be where.
      04-12-2016, 12:03 AM   #320
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

A couple of my favorites from the weekend. I especially like the one at the top of turn 4 that captures almost the entire Budweiser balcony.
Attached Images

04-12-2016, 12:58 AM   #321
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
Quote:
i'm a simple kind of guy. if i happen to see someone from the forum, i'll come say hi if they are going to do a quick shout out about going. i probably wouldn't visit a separate app to check and see who is going to be where.
Bimmerfest AutoclubSpeedway lot of us will be there. You should come would be great to meet.

Fun to drive 15 BMW deep in the last session side by side and have some fun!

Had a blast watching redpriest spin out behind me LOL
      04-12-2016, 01:16 AM   #322
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A couple of my favorites from the weekend. I especially like the one at the top of turn 4 that captures almost the entire Budweiser balcony.
Man that color is poppin'!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 01:24 AM   #323
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes
Quote:
Man that color is poppin'!
I know... I wish the frame was just a little higher I would totally get a a print. My ocd won't allow for tip of the building to be cut off...
      04-12-2016, 01:27 AM   #324
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
Quote:
Bimmerfest AutoclubSpeedway lot of us will be there. You should come would be great to meet.

Fun to drive 15 BMW deep in the last session side by side and have some fun!

Had a blast watching redpriest spin out behind me LOL
Yea, Elim was taking about that day. Is it sold out yet?

Speeddistrict is going to auto club in November.
      04-12-2016, 01:50 AM   #325
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

track day = best way to learn kung fu when you are desperate

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 03:11 AM   #326
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
track day = best way to learn kung fu when you are desperate

instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 03:13 AM   #327
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, Elim was taking about that day. Is it sold out yet?

Speeddistrict is going to auto club in November.
I was worried about that too, so I went ahead and prebooked it along with the hotel rooms. There's going to be a large number of people from NorCal coming down just for bimmerfest so I didn't want to get left out lol. Attendee list looks pretty barren at the moment but that will change fast.

Anyone else doing Spring Mountain two weeks from now??
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #328
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I know... I wish the frame was just a little higher I would totally get a a print. My ocd won't allow for tip of the building to be cut off...
One of the NorCal guys has a space gray and we were talking about that on Saturday - it has such a different personality in different lighting. You pretty much got all of the angles covered!
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #329
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

well, i'll be sure to book it soon then. only about 40 miles from my house.
      04-12-2016, 03:17 AM   #330
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One of the NorCal guys has a space gray and we were talking about that on Saturday - it has such a different personality in different lighting. You pretty much got all of the angles covered!
i love space grey. no other color was an option to me- it had to be space grey. i just love it.