BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

03-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
M3 M3
Rep
Drives: White M3

Never. Ever. Not with Pagids. More of a metallic dust but NEVER pits and globs.
I've ran perhaps 50 sets and never had this experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #24
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Of course I'm right! lol

Back to reality....

I love those pads. That is my opinion and my 12+ years experience of tracking and trying all sorts of different pads, etc, etc, etc.

I think you will like them as well. They are the pad I recommend to anybody who wants track pads for damn near any track event.

Let me know your impressions once you try them out. I think you will also fondly refer to them as "boat anchors" after you try them. Once you get those puppies up to temp, they are pure joy. You'll see! lol

PLEASE bed them in correctly though! You will be rewarded! I put a link below. You only have to bed them when they are "new" (out of the box the first time). After that, you are good to go unless it has been many moons since you last used them (you will need to bed them to the worn rotor in this case, not "cook out" the pad).

Bed-In: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
See step 5 for the RS19's. Enjoy! (People will look at you like you are a complete idiot! Little do they know!)
Yeah man, should have listened to you last summer!

I'm familiar with the bed-in procedure, and will do the swap in about 10 days or so and bed them in. Cheers.
      03-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
M3 M3
Rep

Update: I wanted a set of Pagids for a backup for the fronts -

BUT the pads won't be in for 10-14 days from Germany according to Craig at www.Rennstore.com

We will have to be patient! They ARE worth the wait, just use OEM in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #26
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK

where's everyone getting their pagid's from? it seems the prices went up recently. I did find them for $750 front/rear
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #27
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayos View Post
where's everyone getting their pagid's from? it seems the prices went up recently. I did find them for $750 front/rear
Rennsport....he got a shipment about 2weeks ago, I prepaid for my set and he guaranteed me I would have a set b/c no one else has commited to them, maybe he still has some left give Craig a call he has the best price...

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #28
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK

yea, rennstore's prices went up by more than a little bit.

anyway, found another source. Total $706 shipped for F/R RS19's with 1L of ATE Super Blue.

so, I ordered 2 sets.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayos View Post
yea, rennstore's prices went up by more than a little bit.

anyway, found another source. Total $706 shipped for F/R RS19's with 1L of ATE Super Blue.

so, I ordered 2 sets.
What was your source?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #30
M3 M3
Rep

Craig is lowering his price, I just ordered a set.

He mentioned you called him and were going to return his call. Guess not. Anyway, shoot him a note.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #31
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Any longevity comparisons on the same car and track? I've not heard great things about the RS19s from the crowd I normally run with, but there has been a lot of good things said here which is swaying me to try out a set. 700 for a 4-wheel setup is a tad pricey unless they offer the same performance as PFCs or DTC70s and last longer.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #32
M3 M3
Rep

GOing to be a few weeks until he gets more in, an FYI for those that need some.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #33
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Craig at rennstore is currently selling them for $705 for the set.
      06-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #34
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Just ordered a set of RS19 from Craig at Rennstore. They should be shipping out tomm and he mentioned he has 13 more sets in stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #35
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Any longevity comparisons on the same car and track? I've not heard great things about the RS19s from the crowd I normally run with, but there has been a lot of good things said here which is swaying me to try out a set. 700 for a 4-wheel setup is a tad pricey unless they offer the same performance as PFCs or DTC70s and last longer.

I run mostly at VIR, and I asked Turner what kind of ware they were experiencing on their Grand Am cars at VIR. They advised they get on average, 6 hours per car. If you figure 20 min sessions that we have in HPDE, do the math and that will give you a rough idea. Yep, for two events, expensive.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #36
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Is that $705 shipped? Not that it makes much difference... they're still too expensive. Somebody on this thread mentioned they've gone through about 50 sets... that's over $35,000 in frickin' brake pads for cryig out loud! There has GOT to be a less costly alternative. I mean, the Pagids can't be worth that kind of dough unless you're racing for $50K in prize money.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #37
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
Is that $705 shipped? Not that it makes much difference... they're still too expensive. Somebody on this thread mentioned they've gone through about 50 sets... that's over $35,000 in frickin' brake pads for cryig out loud! There has GOT to be a less costly alternative. I mean, the Pagids can't be worth that kind of dough unless you're racing for $50K in prize money.
I agree completely...Just sucks that their are not many other choices on the market right now for the front and rear. As soon as another alternative comes to market I will def not be going with pagids.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #38
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
I agree completely...Just sucks that their are not many other choices on the market right now for the front and rear. As soon as another alternative comes to market I will def not be going with pagids.
Carbotech XP10's are 40% cheaper, and probably not 40% worse. They have front and rears. I wouldn't pony up for the rs19's. Worked well for me, but it was my first event in a long time. Very noisy though.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #39
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Lucid, I just want to say thank you, b/c when you get something, I then know what to get.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #40
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
Lucid, I just want to say thank you, b/c when you get something, I then know what to get.
Lemming. Mockery may be the best form of flattery, but flattery gets you nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #41
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well, I spoke with a few people who race on a regular basis. I won't name them since those were private conversations, but they are well respected folks. They are both saying that Pagids are a step up in quality from Carbotechs. I have used both brands (RS19, XP8, XP12), and have not had any performance issues with either. I did have major issues with Hawk HT-10s though, and that really scared the shit out of me because the pad disintegrated when things got hot (not to mention that it scored the rotors first). What I was told by the two brake gurus is that kind of thing "can" happen with any second-tier pad brand (they both put Carbotech and Hawk in that category whereas they put Pagid in the first-tier category in comparison). Now, this is just their opinion, but they are basing their opinion on years of racing experience, and one of them happens to be in the brake business. So, although they have not produced any hard data, I am inclined to follow their advice and pay up to minimize the chances of what I experienced with Hawks. I don't want to be wondering--20 minutes into a session on a fast track--if my pad will fall apart when I get on the brakes at 140+ mph. If this car was 600lbs lighter and had 100 hp less, then I wouldn't worry about it as much maybe.

In terms of wear, I still haven't pulled out the XP12s, so I can't really judge, but I suspect RS19s do last somewhat longer (I will pull them out when I go back home in 10 days). However, the XP12 <-> RS19 comparison is probably not all that relevant as they have significantly different MOTs (and friction curves I suspect). I think XP10 <-> RS19 would be a more meaningful comparison. As far as I know, Pagid is not making pads for our cars with higher MOT than their RS19 compound yet, but that should happen soon.
      06-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #42
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Lucid, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss hawk pads. You used the wrong compond since you were in a pinch. Hawks dtc series are wonderul pads. I got a set via NASA contingency and really liked them. I'd say they were on par with any other brand I've used. And I've tried quite a few over the years. The only reason I didn't get them for the M is because the ST 43's last longer.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #43
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

I'll give some props to the XP12's after about two hours of track time on a full weekend they did very well.
They had a really hard bite, but didn't really fade out, I'm not really hard on the brakes to go fast so for a novice maybe they would eat through a pad like this really fast because they stop hard.
Compound is pretty aggressive and reasonably priced I would buy them again if I wasn't going with a new brake system all together.
I say in wear they have about a halfs day worth of meat left on them. Once they get hot and the compound has worn off they will eat themselves up very quickly. On Rcomps they burn up fast with all the extra heat
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #44
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Lucid, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss hawk pads. You used the wrong compond since you were in a pinch. Hawks dtc series are wonderul pads. I got a set via NASA contingency and really liked them. I'd say they were on par with any other brand I've used. And I've tried quite a few over the years. The only reason I didn't get them for the M is because the ST 43's last longer.
Yeah, I agree. Hawks are a step up from Carbotechs and are a well-known, respected brand. Until I joined this forum, I had never heard of Pagid. I have 14 years of racing experience and am a high-performance driving instructor, and thus had tried numerous brands, sometimes as a result of contingency awards like rickybobby, and out of all the ones I've tried, I fell Hawks offer the best value and array of compounds. The problem is picking the right compound. They offer more than most brands and their descriptions are all so similar, that you need to visit Hawk's web site and/or contact them directly to find out which one is right for you. Tell the rep what kind of car you have, what experience leve you consider yourself, and what cind of compromise you're willing to accept between wear and performance. An experienced driver in who likes to late brake/trail brake in a heavy car is going to have no choice but to give up longevity.
Appreciate 0