BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

View Poll Results: Have you replaced your stock bearings?
Yes, replaced them with extra clearance bearings 136 47.39%
No, have not replaced them yet/not planning on replacing them 151 52.61%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

02-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #89
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with stock bolts. If you have confidence you mechanic can install rod bearings, he can install stock bolts. No reports of stock bolts failing. But they take longer to install due to the torque sequence so shop’s prefer to to spend more on parts and to let them make more on labor.
The chances of not getting the torque angle 100% is a risk that arp doesn't have.

While yes it should be possible to get it right, add in a busy shop environment, working on multiple cars, being interrupted, there is a chance it isn't done right.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #90
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you are worried the mechanic can’t torque stock rod bolts you should not let change your bearings. If your confidence level is merely that it should be possible for your mechanic to get it right, you should be using another mechanic.

The ARPs are easier and quicker to install. I have used both stock and ARPs on S65 rod bearing installs. They practically pay for themselves in reduced labor if you are paying a shop. They are also reusable, which save a little on the 2nd bearing change. I’d use ARPs for those reasons, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with stock bolts and any competent mechanic can install them properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #91
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I'm planning on doing my rb's in the next two weeks, I have the arp625's and a set of acl standard shells that I was planning on using. I haven't heard much about the acl's, I purchased them a year or two ago because they were available at the time. I don't drive the car much and am doing this prep along with motor/trans mounts, new clutch and flywheel and a bunch of other pm for a supercharger install. The car only does 2k-3k mile a year, are the acl's gonna be ok for a couple of years? Should I just buy some BE's or ess spec cuz I've come this far and for the sake of $500 I don't wanna short change it. I'd be happy changing the acl's again in 15k-20k miles on a supercharged car that'll see some track time and spirited driving. Any thoughts or wisdom appreciated. TIA
      02-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #92
IamFODI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I'm planning on doing my rb's in the next two weeks, I have the arp625's and a set of acl standard shells that I was planning on using. I haven't heard much about the acl's, I purchased them a year or two ago because they were available at the time. I don't drive the car much and am doing this prep along with motor/trans mounts, new clutch and flywheel and a bunch of other pm for a supercharger install. The car only does 2k-3k mile a year, are the acl's gonna be ok for a couple of years? Should I just buy some BE's or ess spec cuz I've come this far and for the sake of $500 I don't wanna short change it. I'd be happy changing the acl's again in 15k-20k miles on a supercharged car that'll see some track time and spirited driving. Any thoughts or wisdom appreciated. TIA
I'd think that if any decent bearing doesn't last 2k-3k miles per year times a few years, you've got other problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #93
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
If you’re paying a shop all the labor to replace them, why not get BE or ARP if you’re uncertain about ACL’s. I’d only do the ACL’s if you’re doing th swap yourself and you want to save the extra $500 not getting a more proven bearing set.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #94
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
If you’re paying a shop all the labor to replace them, why not get BE or ARP if you’re uncertain about ACL’s. I’d only do the ACL’s if you’re doing th swap yourself and you want to save the extra $500 not getting a more proven bearing set.
ACL has been around for many years (while BE is a fairly new activity) so not sure how ACL can be less "proven" as a supplier mate.
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      02-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #95
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
ACL has been around for many years (while BE is a fairly new activity) so not sure how ACL can be less "proven" as a supplier mate.
I think he means proven with the s65. After reviewing the catalog I'm gonna stick with the acl's. I like the way they're using a copper lead Babbitt which will be helpful to monitor wear with oil analysis which I know isn't foolproof but helpful. I'll be doing them myself and can always change them again down the road and I believe with the arp625s I can reuse them. Probably need to spec some reuseable subframe hardware too!!
      02-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #96
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
This 100%. ACL has been around for a long time and make an excellent product. Same can be said for King.
      02-25-2019, 01:11 AM   #97
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I think he means proven with the s65. After reviewing the catalog I'm gonna stick with the acl's. I like the way they're using a copper lead Babbitt which will be helpful to monitor wear with oil analysis which I know isn't foolproof but helpful. I'll be doing them myself and can always change them again down the road and I believe with the arp625s I can reuse them. Probably need to spec some reuseable subframe hardware too!!
BE uses copper and lead as well.
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      02-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #98
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Yep the ARP 625's should be ok to reuse and at least over here they where more than twice the cost of the ACL shells!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #99
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Also have to be a little careful of bore distortion with the stronger ARP-625 bolts.

While this info is from BE, all of the raw info is available for your own review and analysis.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      02-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #100
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Also have to be a little careful of bore distortion with the stronger ARP-625 bolts.

While this info is from BE, all of the raw info is available for your own review and analysis.

Cheers,
Also went back and forward on this one Scarbag, as always plenty information to find including different good opinions. Ended up with trusting ARP - being an main bolt supplier for ages - and their rekommendation specifically for the S65.
The ARP 2000 (also being used by BE) is a third of the 625 alloy price which I'm thinking also could be a reason to use them, as well as promoting them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #101
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Also went back and forward on this one Scarbag, as always plenty information to find including different good opinions. Ended up with trusting ARP - being an main bolt supplier for ages - and their rekommendation specifically for the S65.
The ARP 2000 (also being used by BE) is a third of the 625 alloy price which I'm thinking also could be a reason to use them, as well as promoting them.
For sure. It is great to have the information to make your own informed choice. ARP makes excellent hardware.

Personally, I was going to use BMW bolts until I realized that the cost of having to purchase an angle gauge that fits, the risk I screwed it up and the extra time it would take was not worth the savings. I was happy that BE offered a fastener with close to BMW bore distortion that also is sooooo simple to install.

Cheers,
Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #102
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
yes, I should have clarified - proven on the S65 as stated.

I haven't seen any ACL's pulled yet on an S65. Maybe on the V10?

Of course, it'd also be nice to see more bearing options for this car, and if there is a consistency between all extra clearance bearing options having great results, this can help further understanding the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #103
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

BE also uses copper/lead as do one of the VAC bearings. Less risk of damage to the crank, though many cranks have been ruined by failing copper/lead bearings on these motors. All newer BMW do not use copper/lead bearings and do not seem to have bearing problems. It’s not the material that matters. It’s something else, and the theories abound from sulpher in the gas to driving style to warm up procedure to oil weight to engine tolerances to inadequate bearing clearance to poor knock sensing.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #104
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Not sure where I read this but one of the theories regarding rod bearing failure stated inadequately torqued rod bolts from the factory.
Who knows if it wasn't torqued right in the first place or became loose eventually with use. Apparently if rod bolts are not torqued adequately, the bearing clearance decreases further, thereby increasing chances of contact between rod bearing and crank.
I believe there has been a detailed thread in this forum about this from 3 to 4 years ago...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #105
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yes, that is another theory. So many to choose from. And in addition to multiple options for replacement bearings, there are multiple options for replacement rod bolts — stock, Carrillo, ARP 2000 from BE or VAC and ARP 625 from lots of places.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #106
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Quote:
BE bearings ordered, car goes into the shop Wednesday. 80k on the clock.

Will be using OEM bolts with BE bearings after extensive research.
I'm just curious, why would you use OEM bolts? I did 5 months of extensive research on it prior to my bearing job two months ago... BE bearings and BE-ARP bolts was a no-brainer (from all I came across and discussed with experts)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat77 View Post
Quote:
BE bearings ordered, car goes into the shop Wednesday. 80k on the clock.

Will be using OEM bolts with BE bearings after extensive research.
Curious as to why OEM bolts?

Everything I've come to know would only lead me to ARP bolts. Did that the first time around on my last E9x.
BE-ARP bolts use ARP2000, which is a weaker alloy than the ARP625 compound which the bolts more commonly referred to as "ARP bolts" are made of.

BE-ARP bolts are as strong as OEM bolts, the difference is that the BE-ARP bolts have an easy torquing process. The only benefit is, they're easy to install, it's up to you if they're worth the extra money. I'm not installing, and the shop told me makes no difference to them.

The traditional ARP bolts are far superior. They are made of the ARP625 compound. They are also significantly more expensive. The downside is that they are the same exact size as OEM bolts but don't account for the difference in torque, resulting in the bolt being driven in just a tiny bit further than they are supposed to in order to meet the torque spec.

This is what the BE-ARP aimed to (and successfully) corrected. However, it's a cheaper alloy than the ARP625.

The confusion lies with the name "ARP" which is the brand name, but people on the forum don't discuss compound.

How do I know? I called ARP and spoke to someone for about 30 minutes.

Why isn't this more widely known? Nobody is hiding it, but people associate "BE" and "ARP" individually with being superior.

This is true... of the BE bearings which correct the clearance issue. It's also correct of the ARP625 bolts which are a superior alloy, and thusly priced accordingly.

BE-ARP (made of ARP2000) are not superior quality to OEM. They are simply easier to torque when installing.

All of this said- you'll all be fine. There are plenty of S65s running around with all sorts of variations. I let my obsessive nature get the best of me and spent a couple days on the phone getting the real story and piecing it all together like a detective. I know all sorts of crap about the inner workings of these companies now as well

I simply chose what I believe to be the most suitable combo of bolts and bearings.

Edit: I'm still somewhat on the fence about not using the ARP625 bolts. Some very reputable people told me the bolt size is a non-issue, and I trust them. However, there are no reported issues with OEM bolts. Therefore I felt the BE bearings and OEM bolts were the most logical combo. That's not to say the BE bearing/ARP625 bolt combo isn't superior/stronger- it is. But they, apparently, aren't 100% perfect.
Same combo here, 3 years ago.
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      04-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #107
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
So after all these years, it's about 50/50 between those who have changed their Rod Bearings and those who haven't.. Are you feeling lucky? I guess so..
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2022, 11:42 PM   #108
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
So after all these years, it's about 50/50 between those who have changed to Rod Bearings and those who haven't.. Are you feeling lucky? I guess so..
Better question: out of those 129 who have not…how many had their bearings fail?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 06:41 AM   #109
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Quote:
So after all these years, it's about 50/50 between those who have changed to Rod Bearings and those who haven't.. Are you feeling lucky? I guess so..
Better question: out of those 129 who have not…how many had their bearings fail?
OP, sounds like a new poll waiting to happen.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #110
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
OP, sounds like a new poll waiting to happen.
Some of these people were the most vocal against the idea. Two of the absolute most vocal naysayers did blow their motors with rod bearing failure. Both immediately left the forum. So getting answers might not be easily forthcoming.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50