BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

who's waiting for the M-DCT?

I can go either way, I don't mind MT so if they never came out with the M-DCT it would not matter a bit to me. But since they say how good the DCT is going to be, I'm waiting at least to read a magazine test or two.

I'm kind of wishing to get on the action, but I don't even want to order one with or without until I read something. I'd still like to test drive but realistically wanting to get one soon as possible but can't order till the M DCT is released to the press.

I kind of hope the DCT is no better, I mean that sounds harsh, but I want to save $$ as much as I can and if the DCT is just the same acceleration (IMO) I'll be a poser and get a 6MT and pose with my fat wallet. But if the DCT comes out and it's 2-3 MPH higher trap speed or whatever then I'll spend the money.

I think (mainly) the higher FD ratio is going to be key if the DCT does happen to be much quicker. What I mean is if they had just a 6-DCT that had the same ratios than I don't think it would matter that much but the thing I'm looking at is the smaller gears that will be easier to rev (each gear easier to turn than a comparible 6MT ratio).

--

If you are waiting will you still buy a DCT M3 even if it comes out as the same performance as the 6MT?

What reason do you prefer the DCT for the better acceleration, gas mileage or ease / fun of a paddle shift?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

I'm waiting to see what people say about the M-DCT before ordering. My GT3 was suppossed to be my official mid-life crisis car, but I tore up my left ankle playing in a bball tournament so now I'm looking for something sporty where I don't have to use my left foot and decent enough for DE track days.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
I'm waiting to see what people say about the M-DCT before ordering. My GT3 was suppossed to be my official mid-life crisis car, but I tore up my left ankle playing in a bball tournament so now I'm looking for something sporty where I don't have to use my left foot and decent enough for DE track days.
sorry to hear about your foot.

Do you have a 997 GT3? that's the second best car I've ever driven.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
that's the second best car I've ever driven.
what's the first?

btw I'm going for the 6MT b/c its not going to be my DD...I could live with it being a couple seconds slower...I have thought about getting MDCT though

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
what's the first?
F430 (I did the World Class Driving event).

I did like the Gallardo spyder but too tight fit for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
wow those are some hot cars.
      03-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
kuruptracing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Soon 2015 M4

Garage List
dct will be a lot faster, no question about it!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
sorry to hear about your foot.

Do you have a 997 GT3? that's the second best car I've ever driven.
Yeah I do and it's a pretty nice car, but not that practical in traffic and not being able to taxi clients around is another negative. Girls get tired of the jerkiness of a stick too.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
F430 (I did the World Class Driving event).

I did like the Gallardo spyder but too tight fit for me.
nice slr in the background
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I am waiting for the DCT for several reasons.

The main reason is practicality. If my wife needs to drive it, she could. If I am driving around clients, I can just go full auto snoozer mode and they ride in comfort.

I like the performace aspects of it...fast shifts, etc.

I like the paddle shift idea. I used to road race 125cc shifter karts and had a butterfly shifter on it. Shifting while keeping both hands on the wheel was awesome. Much improved control...

I like the technolgoy aspect of DCT as well.

I just think that "all around", the DCT is going to be a better choice for me.

I think niether is better than the other....its personal preference and what works best for you...simple as that.

All though I do love rowing the boat (my current car is a 6 speed), I am g.oing DCT and SEDAN for the above reasons.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #11
M3aHOLIC84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 Laguna Seca Blue M3

Those cars would be a dream collection
      03-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
nice slr in the background
The SLR was a big let down for me. The brakes (IDK if it was the electronic braking system or just b/c it was ceramic brakes) but they don't seem to work at all at first so you push harder and they stop all the sudden. It's nothing of full stop.

Plus (IMO) the SLR is too powerful, like you can't modulate the power and if you step on it you are going warp speed. The other cars Lambo, Ferrari, GT3 you have less TQ so you can wind them out and still not scare yourself too much.

Also the SLR while a big car is very tight fit (for me).

Gallardo and SLR were just a bit small for me to get comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
All though I do love rowing the boat (my current car is a 6 speed), I am g.oing DCT and SEDAN for the above reasons.
damn it's like GT3 central around here

I'd take that as a complement for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #14
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I optioned for SMG in my E46 M3 because I thought my wife would drive it occasionally. Well, my wife didn't want to drive it anyway. I didn't think I would like it as much as a manual but was determined to just accept any shortcomings. But, there were none. After getting to know it I loved SMG. You do stay more focused on driving vs. shifting and shifting with the paddles seems more natural than shifting the stick.

You do have to learn to use it though. Just a test drive and you will think it's too jerky and a POS. But when you learn to modulate the throttle a bit then I was able to shift just as smoothly as a manual. The SMG took nothing away from the driving experience IMO.

Another point worth mentioning is that I used manual paddle shift about 99% of the time. I hardly ever used auto because I just never needed it. Plus this really is jerky since you cannot exactly know when the car is going to shift and cannot anticipate when to modulate the throttle in this case.

Now the DCT promises to be much smoother and faster than the SMG. However, I read reports where the author felt the car too robotish and it has taken away some of the fun of "stirring your own". I'll just have to test drive it when it comes out. But, I hope it's not like the SMG where a limited drive first impression doesn't give enough time to really experience its brilliance.

One other thing: I thought the SMG was simple to operate. Apparently, there's a bunch of morons out there. I had the tires mounted at a dedicated tire shop. I'll never do that again; I'll spring for the extra cash of having a BMW dealer do it next time. The cretin that tried to drive the car into the bay couldn't even start the car. After coaching by me he got it started. But he still could not engage the gear -- couldn't understand that you had to have your foot on the brake. It doesn't take a PhD to understand this. But, I suppose if you're chain smoking trailer trash then stay away from this type of transmission. (Yes, he smoked. My car reeked of cigarette smoke for two days. I kept all windows down and sunroof open for those two days. This was in winter too, brrrrrr. Good thing I had heated seats.)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

I am waiting on DCT but dealer is yet to confirm a build date. If it goes too far in the summer I am cancelling. I cant believe I am paying exactly twice as much as the US customers are and they are still being prioritised. 6mt just wont cut it in the city for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #16
Samifumi
Private First Class
Syria
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I will surely be waiting for the M-DCT. I drove the e92 M3 in manual the other day and loved it, but I am thinking about the long term day-to-day driving.

I was actually going to ask the same question, but in particular, I was wondering who has a M-DCT on order right now with a build date? In other words, when will the first M3 with the M-DCT first reach customers.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #17
LFM
Private
Rep
Drives: 09... M3

Gettin that fo sho!
Appreciate 0