BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

12-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #23
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Or use both cables as grounds for this test since it might be hard to get bare metal for a good ground.

This test found my problem. I then quickly made a temporary ground out of about 2 feet of jextra battery ground cable I had and attached it to one of the engine lift support bolts on the front top of the motor and a factory ground point on the fender behind the coolant reservoir. My temporary ground is still there although last week I finally made a new block ground under the car. I might leave the temporary ground as a permanent second engine ground.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #24
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Or use both cables as grounds for this test since it might be hard to get bare metal for a good ground.

This test found my problem. I then quickly made a temporary ground out of about 2 feet of jextra battery ground cable I had and attached it to one of the engine lift support bolts on the front top of the motor and a factory ground point on the fender behind the coolant reservoir. My temporary ground is still there although last week I finally made a new block ground under the car. I might leave the temporary ground as a permanent second engine ground.
I still think you guys are still missing my main point which is why the car starts just fine every single time when battery is fully charged? If it is ground problem, I would have intermittent problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #25
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Resistance.

I don’t know that the ground is your problem but a failing ground can make the engine harder to start. I had to use a jumper pack.
Appreciate 0