BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-17-2022, 02:20 AM   #1
ybc.23.03
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

CF Roof Repair (Brainstorming Phase)

Hey everyone! It seems like my CF roof has gotten pretty yellow and has a decently big and horrifying peeling going on near the antenna…

I went to five different body shops around me who said they won't even touch carbon. This one shop said they will do it for $3K before tax.

I am thinking about getting the roof smooth and have it painted JB to match the body paint color since I think $3K seems too much to get it re-cleared. AND I am worried about it coming out still yellow after re-clear.

I will be looking around more to see who can do it professionally but in the mean time, what do you guys think about getting the roof paint matched?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:39 AM   #2
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Come to CA, I can get it fixed for you from the same shop who fixed mine.

I had yellowing, and sun damage from light reflecting off of a window in my neighborhood. Got it all fixed for $600 and it looks even better than when it was new.

The $2-3k range is normal because it's more than just re-clearing.

They have to completely peel off the expoxy and sand the fibers down.

If you're going for a slick top look, then it'll look good.
      08-17-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
ybc.23.03
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
Come to CA, I can get it fixed for you from the same shop you fixed mine.

I had yellowing, and sun damage from light reflecting off of a window in my neighborhood. Got it all fixed for $600 and it looks even better than when it was new.

I'll keep that in mind and let you know, thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 02:35 PM   #4
Battle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybc.23.03 View Post
Quote:
Come to CA, I can get it fixed for you from the same shop you fixed mine.

I'll keep that in mind and let you know, thank you!!
I did this repair on my car at a shop. Should be around 1500. Make sure they peel off the resin that is yellowing.
Attached Images

08-17-2022, 02:55 PM   #5
evomike
Private
Rep
Drives: 12 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle View Post
I did this repair on my car at a shop. Should be around 1500. Make sure they peel off the resin that is yellowing.
if your shop is charging 1500 for this you guys are losing money
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 07:05 PM   #6
Battle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
Quote:
if your shop is charging 1500 for this you guys are losing money
How much did you pay for yours in LA?
      08-17-2022, 08:24 PM   #7
evomike
Private
Rep

Quote:
How much did you pay for yours in LA?
I wouldn’t pay to have mine done, I run a body shop and what it takes labor wise and material to properly do that repair 1500 is a loser job.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 10:53 PM   #8
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

Mine is currently in a body shop, so I haven't seen it yet in person. But from the pics I've been sent, I'm extremely impressed. All they did was remove all existing clear down to the raw carbon, and they used dawn + water multiple times and cleaned it, and then re-cleared. Perhaps I'm lucky, but most of the yellowing in my case was all in the clear and not in the raw weave.

I'm going to make a post about this once it's done and I actually have more photos. Attached are a before and after photo (the after photo is from the shop so not the best photo but you can see the difference). And honestly the before photo shows all the messed up clear but it was a lot more yellow in person.

Price was extremely reasonable as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 05:26 PM   #9
ybc.23.03
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein Jockins View Post
Mine is currently in a body shop, so I haven't seen it yet in person. But from the pics I've been sent, I'm extremely impressed. All they did was remove all existing clear down to the raw carbon, and they used dawn + water multiple times and cleaned it, and then re-cleared. Perhaps I'm lucky, but most of the yellowing in my case was all in the clear and not in the raw weave.

I'm going to make a post about this once it's done and I actually have more photos. Attached are a before and after photo (the after photo is from the shop so not the best photo but you can see the difference). And honestly the before photo shows all the messed up clear but it was a lot more yellow in person.

Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it done?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 05:29 PM   #10
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I got it done local at a shop in Birmingham, AL. Haven't gotten the car back but I've gotten some more pics and it looks brand new. These guys just started their own shop but came highly recommended for anything carbon and body related by my guy who does my ppf.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 08:12 PM   #11
1SloeEm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn’t pay to have mine done, I run a body shop and what it takes labor wise and material to properly do that repair 1500 is a loser job.
1,500 for that repair is overpriced as shit. Takes 4 hours at most using compressed air to blow the resin off and get it ready for clear.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 10:47 PM   #12
AceBeezy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I got it done local at a shop in Birmingham, AL. Haven't gotten the car back but I've gotten some more pics and it looks brand new. These guys just started their own shop but came highly recommended for anything carbon and body related by my guy who does my ppf.
That's great to hear! I just moved back to the wiregrass area so I may have to take a trip up to Bham. Please share some photos when it's done! How much did it cost you there?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 11:00 PM   #13
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm gonna make a post about it when I get it back. I paid $2500 but that also included a complete respray of the hood, front bumper, and mirror caps. And they cleaned the headlights too. So not sure what it would be to just do cf roof repair but seemed fair to me considering it's hard to find people to do jobs like this in Birmingham.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 07:27 PM   #14
mnnguy
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 m3

Quote:

Hey I was wondering what shop you went to in CA to get your cf rood repaired? Looking to get mine done soon. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 07:37 PM   #15
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnguy View Post
Quote:

Hey I was wondering what shop you went to in CA to get your cf rood repaired? Looking to get mine done soon. Thanks!
Where are you located?
      09-05-2022, 08:07 PM   #16
mnnguy
Rep

Quote:
Where are you located?
Im located in socal area in LA County
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 08:53 PM   #17
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnguy View Post
Quote:
Where are you located?
Im located in socal area in LA County
Hit up @oda_autowerkz_llc on Instagram and tell him Danny sent you!

He'll get you squared away.
      09-05-2022, 09:49 PM   #18
mnnguy
Rep

Quote:
Hit up @oda_autowerkz_llc on Instagram and tell him Danny sent you!

He'll get you squared away.
Okay thanks for the lead, ill check them out. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #19
evomike
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SloeEm3 View Post
1,500 for that repair is overpriced as shit. Takes 4 hours at most using compressed air to blow the resin off and get it ready for clear.
lol tell me you have never done this without telling me you have never done this.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #20
1SloeEm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
lol tell me you have never done this without telling me you have never done this.
I Helped my brother do this in his body shop💀. He peeled the coat off. I washed the CF fibers with dish soap a couple times to remove the left over yellow dust the resin left on the fibers while he masked the car. It really is that simple. If that’s complex than I don’t know what to say🤣
Appreciate 0