BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

10-06-2022, 09:31 PM   #1
jsport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Angle eye mods

Looking into modding my headlights with some upgraded angel eyes. Came across BimmerJakes and it seems like the easiest to install without any cutting. Tried looking them up but haven't found much about them. They look decent and the ease of install is a big plus. Anyone have any thoughts about them? Was looking into Bavgruppes as well but not sure if I want to deal with all the cutting.
      10-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
mrpromax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Convertible

No experience with them but they look very cool.
2011 E93 M3 6 SP, AFE Intake, BimmerWorld Race Exhaust, Alpine Tunes Stage 2 Bavaudio speakers, Matchup 8 Subs, Match UP7 BMW Amp, Kicker Solobaric custom box, Digital Designs Amp. Liqui Moly oils. Painted calipers, carbon fiber trims throughout, blacked out chrome.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 01:09 PM   #3
zcozee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

I went with the angeleyeguy kit and am very happy with the ease of install and the final look.

Appreciate 2
Battle162.50
victo6.00
      10-16-2022, 02:54 AM   #4
OnyxBlueM3
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E82

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcozee View Post
I went with the angeleyeguy kit and am very happy with the ease of install and the final look.

Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

How much did it cost you?
And where did you buy it?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 03:24 AM   #5
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'm having trouble with my Bavgruppe lights on the driver side, some of the LEDs are stuck in amber instead of going back to white. I did not do the original mod of the lights and the previous owner isn't sure what is going on. I've asked Bavgruppe for help, supplied pics of the problem, but they're pretty much radio silent. I've heard they have very poor after sales support. Now I get to experience it first hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #6
Battle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxBlueM3 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

How much did it cost you?
And where did you buy it?
Angeleyeguy. I also have this and am very happy with it
Attached Images

10-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #7
Jashan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Email bayoptics
      10-17-2022, 12:52 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Are there any without a full circle for the other ring? The stock has a 2/3 circle on the headlight which I think looks much more aggressive.
      10-18-2022, 11:47 AM   #9
jsport
Private First Class
Rep

Also came across angeleyeguy but wanted the hex rings. I messaged him too about crystal rings but haven't heard back. Thought about Bavgruppes but didn't want to deal with cutting. And good to know about their after sales support. Been messaging bimmerjake on eBay and he's been pretty responsive. May just try them out. They seems to do black Friday sales on their own site so will wait till then. Waiting for other parts anyway. Will be attempting this on my damaged headlights I kept from a minor accident that I'm also going to try and repair.
      10-18-2022, 11:51 AM   #10
jsport
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Are there any without a full circle for the other ring? The stock has a 2/3 circle on the headlight which I think looks much more aggressive.
Bimmerjake seems to have the most options so far that I've come across if you're main concern is ease of installation without cutting. They just rebranded to refreshlights. Their rings are 3d printed though. Will be giving them a try as I wanted hex rings without dealing with cutting.
      11-02-2022, 06:39 AM   #11
jsport
Private First Class
Rep

Pics of refreshlights/BimmerJakes hex rings. Installed it on a pair of headlights I'm repairing. Still waiting for new lenses.
Attached Images

01-14-2023, 07:29 PM   #12
jsport
Private First Class
Rep

Finally installed.
Attached Images

01-17-2023, 12:40 PM   #13
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Nice work! Maybe it's just the angle but the outer LEDs look like they're falling away a bit/not quite in alignment with the inners? Again, hard to tell.

Also, since you haven't installed the outer lens' yet, have you considered doing a clear cornering lease/inner dummy lens, to match the projector?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 07:45 PM   #14
jsport
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Nice work! Maybe it's just the angle but the outer LEDs look like they're falling away a bit/not quite in alignment with the inners? Again, hard to tell.

Also, since you haven't installed the outer lens' yet, have you considered doing a clear cornering lease/inner dummy lens, to match the projector?
Thanks! Pretty happy with the results. In person they look aligned. The kit was plug and play with 3d printed snap on brackets so none of that eyeballing it to see if they lined up. The hex rings are also 3d printed but for normal viewing distance, you don't notice the layer lines. Wish they were crystal looking but I didn't want to do any cutting and figuring out how to glue it together. Think there are only 2 companies who have plug and play kits, Refreshlights and Angel Eye Guy?, but the second only had the round rings.

Actually, it's all sealed up and I'm ok with the stock cornering lens. I thought about changing it at one point to etched lenses, but decided not to. The extra cost wasn't worth it and at the time I didn't have a way to test out how functional the headlight were so wanted to keep costs minimal. It was really an experiment to see if I could fix both headlights that were mild to moderately damaged from an accident, while also putting in nicer angel eyes. Just had to buy new headlight lenses ($80), repair tab kit ($15), butyl tape, and a salvaged headlight ($60) for various parts that were cracked - inner black shroud, projector shroud, etc. Got lucky and got a deal on ebay from a guy in Greece off a 325i. Did get a surprise spider but luckily I had my heat gun ready

On a side note, I didn't find out that the driver side amber led was out till after I put everything back together. I did recall making sure I plugged it back in though. Just ended up coding it out as I didn't feel like opening up again. Was my second time working on headlights. Last time was probably back in 1999 or 2000 for my Accord. So much easier with a heat gun than a hair dryer. Haha. And really no need to bake it like some other guys do. Its really quick with a heat gun. Took me like 5 mins to open it up.
      02-27-2023, 10:46 AM   #15
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I have the headlight housings removed and now waiting on my Angel-eye-guy opaque 120 replacements. I’ll separate the headlamp cover from the housing using the oven method (215° for 10 minutes). I also have a heat gun on standby.

I have new butyl tape, which I will apply when reassembling the housing, but curious what others have done when removing the residual “old“ tape. How much do you try to remove, and what process do you use?
      02-28-2023, 04:25 AM   #16
jsport
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
I have the headlight housings removed and now waiting on my Angel-eye-guy opaque 120 replacements. I’ll separate the headlamp cover from the housing using the oven method (215° for 10 minutes). I also have a heat gun on standby.

I have new butyl tape, which I will apply when reassembling the housing, but curious what others have done when removing the residual “old“ tape. How much do you try to remove, and what process do you use?
I really didn't see the benefit of using the oven method. Using a heat gun focused along the area I was prying made quick work on softening up the existing butyl. Took me maybe less than 5-10 mins to open. Using an oven I can see taking a little bit longer since the whole thing has to heat up. Just my preference anyway.

As for removing the old butyl, I just use a flat head screwdriver to scrape/dig it out. If you wanted to get a more off, I found that using the butyl I had scrape off, which I had formed into a ball, to pull off the additional residual. I just used the ball of old butyl and touched the residual and pulled quickly which seem to work well to get more off. This worked really well for me on the lenses but that was me just being a little too anal getting more off. As long as there are no clumps and the residual that is there is thin, you should be good.
      02-28-2023, 09:09 PM   #17
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsport View Post
I really didn't see the benefit of using the oven method. Using a heat gun focused along the area I was prying made quick work on softening up the existing butyl. Took me maybe less than 5-10 mins to open. Using an oven I can see taking a little bit longer since the whole thing has to heat up. Just my preference anyway.

As for removing the old butyl, I just use a flat head screwdriver to scrape/dig it out. If you wanted to get a more off, I found that using the butyl I had scrape off, which I had formed into a ball, to pull off the additional residual. I just used the ball of old butyl and touched the residual and pulled quickly which seem to work well to get more off. This worked really well for me on the lenses but that was me just being a little too anal getting more off. As long as there are no clumps and the residual that is there is thin, you should be good.
Thanks much, this is helpful.
      03-01-2023, 12:13 AM   #18
jsport
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus69 View Post
Thanks much, this is helpful.
No problem and good luck!
And one exception for the oven method that I could see is when you're sealing it back up. With the heat gun, I had to heat up and squeeze just that area. Probably could have gone around and heat up the whole thing but felt a little troublesome.
      03-01-2023, 03:48 PM   #19
sparayno1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3 2009

I have had these angel eyes for 3 years without any issue. They are easy to install and imo look better than the circular angel eyes.

https://youtu.be/HNE-tUoG-So
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-27-2023, 09:28 AM   #20
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just finished installing the angel eye full led rings from AngelEyeGuy. Install went well, ended up using a heat gun to separate housing. A buddy of mine helped which made the process easier. No outdoor pics yet but got everything back together again in the garage

05-25-2023, 01:21 AM   #21
Jägerelite_N54
padewan
Rep
Drives: silver 09 E90 335i sdn/dct/lci

Let's see some results 🙏🙏🙏
Appreciate 0