BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #1
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Remove fuel evap/charcoal system??

Has anyone here removed the fuel evap system behind the driver rear tire? Trying to build a single exit exhaust out the side of bumper. I’ve seen Trinity’s race car with a similar exhaust setup and the evap is completely gone in their pics.

Their build with pics below:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212234

Any input on relocating or preferably removing the system is appreciated
      09-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_joe View Post
Has anyone here removed the fuel evap system behind the driver rear tire? Trying to build a single exit exhaust out the side of bumper. I've seen Trinity's race car with a similar exhaust setup and the evap is completely gone in their pics.

The Trinity car is E9X perfection. What I want my car to become. Keep us posted!
      01-17-2023, 10:10 AM   #3
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Has anyone here removed the fuel evap system behind the driver rear tire? Trying to build a single exit exhaust out the side of bumper. I’ve seen Trinity’s race car with a similar exhaust setup and the evap is completely gone in their pics.

Hey man! Did you ever delete the charcoal canister/EVAP system? I ran my 1 series without it for a few weeks during the 1M conversion but it wasn't a track car so I wanted to check with others first
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 06:48 AM   #4
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Hey man! Did you ever delete the charcoal canister/EVAP system? I ran my 1 series without it for a few weeks during the 1M conversion but it wasn't a track car so I wanted to check with others first
never got any feed back from anyone
      01-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #5
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
never got any feed back from anyone
Weak! I've found more info from E36/46 race forums - PM me and I'll shoot you the link, James Clay outlines what they do on their racecars.
      01-21-2023, 08:24 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

StripclubDJ may have built that car...
      01-23-2023, 06:17 AM   #7
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think I have figured it out
      03-18-2023, 11:06 AM   #8
VicS5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Would love to hear more about what you figured out. I’m thinning wire harnesses, removing TMPS receivers and found the charcoal filter / EVAP system behind LR wheel. How do I avoid the inevitable check engine light after removal?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 06:57 AM   #9
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS5 View Post
Would love to hear more about what you figured out. I’m thinning wire harnesses, removing TMPS receivers and found the charcoal filter / EVAP system behind LR wheel. How do I avoid the inevitable check engine light after removal?
I had Epic Motorsports build me a tune that took care of it
      03-20-2023, 05:56 PM   #10
VicS5
Private
United_States
Rep

I have an Epic Tune so I can reach out to Randy for the same.

Anyone able to offer guidance on the removal of the large black hoses that run from the charcoal filter under the trunk to the right side of the car? The E46 forums suggest that there is a need to keep some hoses for tank venting purposes, install filters on the end of one, and loop one to avoid a siphon effect. Not familiar with the E46 anatomy so this approach may have no relevance to the E9x, but looking to this crew to point out my stupidity before mucking things up.
Car is a dedicated, gutted (except for the EVAP canister) track car and never sees the street.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 06:30 AM   #11
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have an Epic Tune so I can reach out to Randy for the same.

Anyone able to offer guidance on the removal of the large black hoses that run from the charcoal filter under the trunk to the right side of the car? The E46 forums suggest that there is a need to keep some hoses for tank venting purposes, install filters on the end of one, and loop one to avoid a siphon effect. Not familiar with the E46 anatomy so this approach may have no relevance to the E9x, but looking to this crew to point out my stupidity before mucking things up.
Car is a dedicated, gutted (except for the EVAP canister) track car and never sees the street.
I followed the basic e46 guide and made it work using a filter on one end and it has a loop. Didnt document anything, just kind of a figure it out situation tracing the lines back to see where they go.
      07-12-2023, 03:32 AM   #12
charles1442
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I followed the basic e46 guide and made it work using a filter on one end and it has a loop. Didnt document anything, just kind of a figure it out situation tracing the lines back to see where they go.
Quote:
did you end up figuring it out? wanting to go same route
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 05:44 AM   #13
VicS5
Private
United_States
Rep

No, I’ve left it alone. Not clear to me which line needs filter vs. which needs a loop (and why/where to form that loop).
One response noted they had an Epic tune loaded that removed the check engine lights, but I won’t go down that path until I know what to do with the hoses.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 03:54 PM   #14
charles1442
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, I’ve left it alone. Not clear to me which line needs filter vs. which needs a loop (and why/where to form that loop).
One response noted they had an Epic tune loaded that removed the check engine lights, but I won’t go down that path until I know what to do with the hoses.
as in you didnt remove charcoal canister?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 03:55 PM   #15
charles1442
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles1442 View Post
as in you didnt remove charcoal canister?
in terms of the cel its a hassle but you can just remove wires pin to pin, im going to attempt to remove mine ill let you know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 02:36 PM   #16
VicS5
Private
United_States
Rep

Looking for help from the collective wisdom of the forum. Seeking to remove my EVAP charcoal filter. turbo_joe posted that he followed the E46 procedure of installing a filter on one of the hoses and coiling a loop into another. I don’t know what to do to which hose, and why.
Hose #1 runs across to the right side of the car and up to the filler neck. 2 runs across to the right and (I think) to the right side of the fuel tank. 3 stays on the left side, loops up over the left axle and disappears on the left top of the fuel tank.

Can anyone explain which hose requires the filter and which to loop? Can the one to the filler neck be blocked off?

Sorry for the ask, but my grasp of how this system works is vague.
Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 11:43 AM   #17
VicS5
Private
United_States
Rep

After more digging, I’ve found a diagram thanks to GregW / Oregon
#1 in my photo above is not on the digram below. I assume it’s because the digram defaults to the EU model, but I can easily trace it for its entire route and there’s no doubt it runs to the filler neck just beneath the gas cap. This should be able to be capped because there is another vent hose that runs from the right side of the tank to the filler neck (pictured below). The one on the left is the one that comes from the charcoal canister; the one on the right dives into a hole in the front of the wheel well and goes to the right fuel supply unit.
#2 is not labeled below, but runs to the right fuel supply unit and is the tank vent tube. I presume this is the one that needs the loop and filter installed.
#3 in the photo above corresponds to #7 in the diagram below. Looks like that is the vacuum hose that runs from the charcoal canister to the intake for reclamation of fumes from the canister for burning. I plan to cap this off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 05:55 PM   #18
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
The evap system manages evaporative emissions from the fuel tank.

Gas is volatile so it will flash off - specifically propane and butane molecules (VOC) that are more prominent in winter gas in non-SULEV states. CA runs summer blend which has lower VOC or called Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP).

The evap system filters the VOCs and releases cleaner air from the fuel system when refueling.

As with any tank that stores flammable liquids, vacuum and pressure must be controlled or could cause an explosion. The EVAP system is the mechanism which controls vacuum and pressure.

So you can eliminate the EVAP system, you will want to vent the tank. You want to prevent the line from sucking in any liquids while venting to a safe location when refueling. So you can locate the vent line out the wheel well, you can install a fuel filter on the end to cut down on the fuel vapors release.

You do need to be aware that you will have a very slightly higher chance of an explosion when refueling. But…you are releasing more flammable vapor into the atmosphere…
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 2
DRLane3988.50
VicS564.50