BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-14-2022, 08:19 AM   #1
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Getting ready for winter on my daily Harrop e90

I picked up a set of 4 Apex ARC-8, et25, 18" x 10". The previous owner used them as a square setup for the track with 275 35 18s on his Dinan e90 without rub. My intent is to use these rims for my non-summer tires, and I've been oscillating between a performance off-season (conti or michelin as4s) versus a performance winter tire. My area gets snow 0-2 times a year and temps require a solution other than summer tires around 8 months a year for this daily driver.

I'm very wary about a square setup for a road driven e90 due to risk of tramlining but open to others experience. I had a 328i e90 years ago with the M sport suspension and it was spooky bad on grooved pavement.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Conti extreme sport all season in the 18" 245/40 front and 265/40 rear. The table indicates a 10" wide rim is the widest size possible for the 245s and the 265 is perfect on that rim.

Looking for feedback:
Performance All season versus performance snow tire (temperate Pacific Northwest)
Running 245 on a 10" wide rim
Using Apex racing wheels on a daily
Square 265s on a daily
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-14-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Running a 265 with that sidewall MAY cause issues in the front. There were a couple of people that cracked the fender by running a rear comp wheel (19x10 +25) with the OEM rear tire size in the front (265/35/19)

Granted yours is an 18" setup, but running a 265/40/18 may pose the same problems, especially considering its the same offset as the example above. (+25)
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933147.50
      08-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

maybe 255/40 squared .. I have put a combined 30,000+ miles on 275 / 285 squared tire setups and have never had any issues. Your tolerance could be a lot lower than mine however.

BMW made excellent wheels for winter driving (270Ms) .. they're a perfect offset for our cars and narrow enough that you can run smaller tires (235/245 squared) without issue. Maybe go for a set of those? 10" is pretty wide if the intention is (NON) summer driving.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933147.50
      08-21-2022, 07:25 AM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
I picked up a set of 4 Apex ARC-8, et25, 18" x 10". The previous owner used them as a square setup for the track with 275 35 18s on his Dinan e90 without rub. My intent is to use these rims for my non-summer tires, and I've been oscillating between a performance off-season (conti or michelin as4s) versus a performance winter tire. My area gets snow 0-2 times a year and temps require a solution other than summer tires around 8 months a year for this daily driver.

I'm very wary about a square setup for a road driven e90 due to risk of tramlining but open to others experience. I had a 328i e90 years ago with the M sport suspension and it was spooky bad on grooved pavement.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Conti extreme sport all season in the 18" 245/40 front and 265/40 rear. The table indicates a 10" wide rim is the widest size possible for the 245s and the 265 is perfect on that rim.

Looking for feedback:
Performance All season versus performance snow tire (temperate Pacific Northwest)
Square 265s on a daily
Why does a square setup cause this tram lining? And whats the BMW standard recommendation for 18" tires winter or otherwise?

My 911 has performance winters and they are amazing but I think on the M3 standard winters are the way to go for me. Thinking Michelin X-Ice Snow or Viking Continentals. That said the stiffest winter tire without compromises due to that stiffness is probably best for this car as its soft to me, at least from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 09:32 PM   #5
Matt Fojtik
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Quote:

Looking for feedback:
Square 265s on a daily
Why does a square setup cause this tram lining? And whats the BMW standard recommendation for 18" tires winter or otherwise?

My 911 has performance winters and they are amazing but I think on the M3 standard winters are the way to go for me. Thinking Michelin X-Ice Snow or Viking Continentals. That said the stiffest winter tire without compromises due to that stiffness is probably best for this car as its soft to me, at least from the factory.
What winters are you running on your 911? Currently on the fence between a psas4 and a performance winter
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 09:57 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Fojtik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Quote:

Looking for feedback:
Square 265s on a daily

What winters are you running on your 911? Currently on the fence between a psas4 and a performance winter
Pilot Alpin PA4's and they are awesome. Hardly miss my summer tires when on them which is an accomplishment. Braking is decent as is light snow traction.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Somewhat relevant to your question as vehicle and power/dynamics are the same.

I DD'd my Harrop Supercharged E90 in Utah on 235/40/18 and 255/40/18 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D for 4 years. I did not experience any tram lining, and the dry traction (while a compromise compared to Super Sports) was not as bad as I originally was expecting. I chalk this up to choosing 'Winter Performance' tires versus 'Snow' tires. I still enjoyed driving "in boost" when dry and very confident during inclement weather, so 255 should be a good size for you.

My tire decisions were made based on the low road temperatures with many weeks with single-digit low temps with frequent dry/compact snow. Given the PNW where it is more of a function of wet traction plus low road temperatures, I'd option for a 'Performance' all-season tire with an M+S Rating. In addition to the tire you mentioned, the Conti Extreme Contact DWS06 will fit the wheels you have and be capable in the occasional snow day.

With all that said, having lived in the Seattle area for 30 years prior to moving to Utah, so many drivers up there don't have proper tires for winter driving, and I would just stay home on those few days per year when snow accumulates. Having proper gear on your car will help avoid the out-of-control cars when moving, but some Karen in her Kia with 7-year-old worn tires will slam into the back of your car at a stoplight. Joking not joking.
      11-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #8
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Hagen View Post
Somewhat relevant to your question as vehicle and power/dynamics are the same.

I DD'd my Harrop Supercharged E90 in Utah on 235/40/18 and 255/40/18 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D for 4 years. I did not experience any tram lining, and the dry traction (while a compromise compared to Super Sports) was not as bad as I originally was expecting. I chalk this up to choosing 'Winter Performance' tires versus 'Snow' tires. I still enjoyed driving "in boost" when dry and very confident during inclement weather, so 255 should be a good size for you.

My tire decisions were made based on the low road temperatures with many weeks with single-digit low temps with frequent dry/compact snow. Given the PNW where it is more of a function of wet traction plus low road temperatures, I'd option for a 'Performance' all-season tire with an M+S Rating. In addition to the tire you mentioned, the Conti Extreme Contact DWS06 will fit the wheels you have and be capable in the occasional snow day.

With all that said, having lived in the Seattle area for 30 years prior to moving to Utah, so many drivers up there don't have proper tires for winter driving, and I would just stay home on those few days per year when snow accumulates. Having proper gear on your car will help avoid the out-of-control cars when moving, but some Karen in her Kia with 7-year-old worn tires will slam into the back of your car at a stoplight. Joking not joking.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I went with the Conti DWS+ all seasons on my comp 19" zcp rims, in part because wet roads are the vastly more common scenario I face. I also like to take road trips to warmer climates in the spring and fall, too soon for summer tires at home but perhaps too demanding for performance snow tires. I'm pretty happy with the Conti's so far, including on a 2600 mile road trip a few weeks ago through 95 degrees in Palm Springs and the mid 20s in high country Nevada 36 hours later. That's a lot to ask of any tire but they managed very well.
Appreciate 0