BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

10-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #1
tbh999
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

E93 M3 Clutch (6MT) Stopped Working!

2011 E93 M3
6 Speed Manual Transmission

So, I pulled into the garage and parked my car. Everything was OK.

Two days later I got into the car, pressed the clutch (car was in first gear) and attempted to start the engine and the car lurched forward. The clutch "Feels" fine, but the clutch does not disengage.

From under the car when the clutch is pressed, I can see that the hydraulic lines move from the pressure.

No leaks and both the master and slave cylinders look good from the outside.

After some sole searching, I decided the replace the slave cylinder - Nope that wasn't it.

What's odd is that it just "happened" there was no preamble issues before hand, it went from 100% working to 100% NOT working overnight while sitting in the garage.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow the Clutch Fork Lever or Thow-out bearing got in a bind or the pivot broke. BUT the end of the fork lever is in place and appears to line-up with the slave cylinder plunger.

I'm at the point where all I can think of in pulling the transmission, something that I would have done without hesitation 40 years ago, but in my advancing years I think I'm going to have to pay someone to do it.

So, does anyone have any idea of what could have cause such a quick clutch issue?

Last edited by tbh999; 10-11-2022 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 07:04 AM   #2
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3

Your clutch master may be leaking internally. Did you for sure rule out all hydraulic issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 07:56 AM   #3
nurburgracer
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

Symptoms don’t sound exactly the same, but may be the same reason. It also happened unexpectedly.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1603721

Idea is that one of the clutch plates are stuck. Try start the car in neutral, clutch all the way down and foot on the brake. Make sure there’s nothing in the way of your vehicle if it lurches.

Let us know what happens
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
tbh999
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Patroklai - I do think I ruled out an hydraulic issue. The lines are definitely under pressure when the pedal is depressed. I ended up replacing the slave cylinder only because I already purchased it (Wow what a PITA to bleed, I ended up using a combination of a pressure bleeder, and vacuum bleeder and the good old fashion pumping of the pedal)

Nurburgracer - The post in that link does some very similar. I'll give it a try. Thank you!
Appreciate 0